Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    While I agree that Jon's book is boring, I think that's more Taylor than the character himself. The concept itself is interest. Taylor just needs to not be so 'safe'. Taylor's other book Nightwing is also boring. He somehow managed to make me drop my favourite character.

The other Superbooks have been solid though.

Disagree on Tim Drake. The character needs to move on from Robin. The mantle isn't supposed to carry the character. Tim can't keep depending on Robin to make him readable. Tim as a character should be interesting and badsass without the Robin mantle. I hope the new Batman writer finds a new direction and a new purpose for the character that adds value to the Batverse.
    Nah. It's the character. Whether it's Bendis, Johnson, or Taylor the older Jon is just....boring. It feels like with each new writer he just gets more boring and more "Clark but younger and skinnier". I have my problems with Yara and Jace but at least they don't make me think "You're literally replacing this character with themselves".

Jo and Jackson are the only one of these new guys I can really get behind and in the latter's case I still find myself wishing he was another version of himself.
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-10-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Haven't they been doing superheroes for, like, 80ish years now?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    DC You had great ideas... it's just so happen to coincide with bad ones regarding the high profile characters, such as depowering Superman, killing Batman, attaching blades to Wonder Woman's cuff, replacing Mera with Siren... those moves became the face of the era, on top of New 52 already bad reputation just killed the interest.
    Every publishing direction has some good and some bad ideas, but bolded part is probably main reason for DCYou's failure. From big books I think only Justice League (Darkseid War) had a direction that people liked.

I'm indifferent towards DC as whole rn so I don't really care much.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Tim is suffering from having almost no unique traits defining and differentiating him from the other Robins.

First, you have Dick, who created and defined the Robin role, founded the teen titans, is leading his generation, protecting of his own city, and is considered Batman's greatest success. The original story of graduation from the Robin mantle and finding himself outside of the Bat's shadow story was already told with Dick, so any story of Tim doing the same thing should be different enough, and his future role should also be different enough from Dick.
    Next, you have Jason, the broody, edgy, morally gray ex-Robin, who disagrees with Batman and does things his own way. While Tim as Red Robin kind of had the morally gray, doing things his own way niche, now Jason is doing that and more. So Tim going back to his pre-52 Red Robin persona probably won't really work now that Jason is an anti-hero instead of a villain, like he was when Tim debuted as Red Robin.
    Finally, you have Damian, the current Robin, learning to find himself, his morals, and his values, as Batman's son, Robin, and an al Ghul.

Tim is still considered the best detective of the Robins, but each of them is already a detective, so being a detective really isn't a niche in the batfamily. As for martial arts - Tim has no advantage over the others and currently is possibly the least capable of the Robins in physical combat, and there are almost no stories you can tell using Tim and can't tell using one of the other Robins.

So... yes, for better or worse, right now Tim's most defining trait is indeed being the queer Robin. The fact that he hasn't been able to move from the Robin mantle for ten years now isn't doing him any favors. I also hope Zadarky would be able to give Tim something of his own.
    Where does the conclusion that Tim is the least martially capable come from? Dick certainly is more agile with his aerial background but Tim was touted as quite the fighter during his series. Todd is reliant on guns and I do not recall his being assessed by anyone as superior in skill to Tim though obviously he will resort to fatality before Tim would

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I'm going to say...not quite.

Normal kids do not figure out secret identities. Tim was always smarter. (He was not a natural athlete...he has to work at that.)

He is the Robin designed to be separate from Batman...not a sidekick...but a sometimes partner and a stand-alone hero with his own life.

All he really needs is his own name. His own niche can be found once Tim has a new name.
    I'm always curious why Tim's origin is often brought up as an example of how smart he is when that doesn't really show us how brilliant he actually is.

Any Normal kid who went to see the Graysons and who has a TV showing Robin pulling off the special move only his idol Dick Grayson performed on the night that traumatised the normal Kid would be able to figure out robin's identity. With Dick Grayson being a ward of Bruce Wayne link that to Batman's secret identity.

That is the whole reason why the story played out like that.
    It isn't dependant on being extraordinary, they don't have to have any special skills or have tragedy just normality, luck and coincidence.
    Any kid/teen reading comics and wishing to escape into that world can easily relate. It is within the realm of possibility because it's just luck and happenstance.

That's not to say that Tim is of normal intelligence. He is not. He is very smart but in the words of Denis O'neil " He isn't a brain" "he is like your ideal little brother"

Tim's origin shows us his heart. How much B&R means to him the fact that kid was able to keep the duo's secret for years is the extraordinary part that shows the strength of his character and that he was already a hero.

Yes Tim was an independent hero from Batman but I wouldn't call that his niche since Robin branching out as an independent hero goes all the way back to the Golden age [star Spangled Comics]. RobinDick even formed his own team with the TT.

Not to mention that the Bat verse has many independent heroes.

Rather like you said, Tim different from Dick and jason because like Carrie Kelly, he had another life with a family separate from the world of Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Also agree that he was depicted even early on as more of a partner to batman.

I'd say that figuring a direction and putting effort into a new direction is far more important than the name. what use is a new name if he has no purpose and DC has no solid plan for the character?

He's had a few names and no clear purpose in the past decade and look how that worked out.

He can be Red Robin. Even Drake works. a book called Drake sounds good to me.
    Tim sometimes refers to himself as Tim Wayne [as odd as that is since Dick, Jason and Cass retained their family name after they were adopted] so let his forsaken family name be his hero id.

It's not like his folks are still alive, he is an only child and he's already calling him Wayne in his civilian life so why can't he be the hero Drake after the Dragon?
    Last edited by Fergus; 04-11-2022 at 07:32 AM.

Yeah I'm liking the current direction of DC comics, a great number of books are coming out both mini and ongoing that I am enjoying regardless if they are new or old characters.

A few clunkers, but overall I'm having a good time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Where does the conclusion that Tim is the least martially capable come from? Dick certainly is more agile with his aerial background but Tim was touted as quite the fighter during his series. Todd is reliant on guns and I do not recall his being assessed by anyone as superior in skill to Tim though obviously he will resort to fatality before Tim would
    I'd say it's a combination of story putting emphasis on Tim is the smart one, Tim requiring a weapon as Robin and being just a posh kid with zero sporting, 'street life' skills before becoming Robin so he's starting at the disadvantage.

I'm not going to compare Tim to Dick Grayson since that would be unfair. Dick has been doing this since he 8. They are in different leagues.
    Jason has defeated Tim several times without having to shoot him.
    Damian and Tim have fought 3 times when Damian was aged 10. Damian beat him twice and then there was the fight in RR that Dick stopped.

Not to mention that due to Tim being stuck at age 17 he now has the least training and field experience of all the Four Male Robins.

There's also that Ranking of the most skilled Batfamily members by Tom King at the start of Rebirth. While King can be dubious when it comes to power levels I still consider this list relevant simply because the reality is depends on the writers.
    They are the ones who decide who beats who since they write the fights they make the decision based on their opinion and how they want the story to turn out.

This ranking of the best hand to hand combatants in the batfamily was complied by King [Batman Rebirth] with additional input by Tynion [Rebirth Tec and he used to run 2 Tim Drake focused fan blogs prior to getting the Tec Gig so a huge Tim Drake fan], Seeley [Nightwing Rebirth] and Lobdell [Rebirth RHaTo].

So the main writers of the various Batman and Batfamily books at the time aside from one. Scott Snyder who was on All Star Batman.

They ranked Tim as 9th most skilled hand to hand. Ranking all the others higher than him.

Tim also admitted that he wasn't as skilled a combatant as the rest of the Robins in Rebirth Tec.
    Last edited by dietrich; 04-11-2022 at 09:57 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Yes, very much.

It's not the DCU of my youth, as it shouldn't be, but it also doesn't seem to be going out of its way to destroy it and offend everyone who liked it as much as possible in the process, as it was for a while.

It celkebrates old stuff, brings new stuff to the table, and I welcome both. The status quo may bot be the same, but the animus of the very awesome late 90's are back, and I love it.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I'd say it's a combination of story putting emphasis on Tim is the smart one, Tim requiring a weapon as Robin and being just a posh kid with zero sporting, 'street life' skills before becoming Robin so he's starting at the disadvantage.

I'm not going to compare Tim to Dick Grayson since that would be unfair. Dick has been doing this since he 8. They are in different leagues.
    Jason has defeated Tim several times without having to shoot him.
    Damian and Tim have fought 3 times when Damian was aged 10. Damian beat him twice and then there was the fight in RR that Dick stopped.

Not to mention that due to Tim being stuck at age 17 he now has the least training and field experience of all the Four Male Robins.

There's also that Ranking of the most skilled Batfamily members by Tom King at the start of Rebirth. While King can be dubious when it comes to power levels I still consider this list relevant simply because the reality is depends on the writers.
    They are the ones who decide who beats who since they write the fights they make the decision based on their opinion and how they want the story to turn out.

This ranking of the best hand to hand combatants in the batfamily was complied by King [Batman Rebirth] with additional input by Tynion [Rebirth Tec and he used to run 2 Tim Drake focused fan blogs prior to getting the Tec Gig so a huge Tim Drake fan], Seeley [Nightwing Rebirth] and Lobdell [Rebirth RHaTo].

So the main writers of the various Batman and Batfamily books at the time aside from one. Scott Snyder who was on All Star Batman.

They ranked Tim as 9th most skilled hand to hand. Ranking all the others higher than him.

Tim also admitted that he wasn't as skilled a combatant as the rest of the Robins in Rebirth Tec.
    Wow! That is some revisionist action! I wonder what prompted that shift or if there was any thought at all behind it. Looking at how Roy and Connor were handled with 52 I guess I should just be thankful it wasn't worst.

And if it boils down to Scott Snyder said it, then I can't take it seriously. The man dragged the JLA into ground for 5 years behind a dayum door knob.

I’ve collected DC for almost 55 years. At this point, I’m only buying two ongoing books from DC, vs. 10 from Marvel.
    I think that pretty much sums up my answer.

Astonishing Member

I've collected DC for about 40 years. I am now only buying Robins. When this mini-series is done, I am done with comics.

I adore the DC characters; I cannot endure/enjoy DC's stories anymore.

I'm enjoying DC more now than I have in over a decade. Flash and Robin are must-reads every month. The line as a whole is far from perfect, but it's better now than it has been in quite a while, if you ask me.

Not really. Most things before the New 52, I was content and comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Not really. Most things before the New 52, I was content and comfortable with.
    It still sends me into a rage when I think of the stupidity and folly of Flashpoint and 52. WTF? The people behind it should be clogged and sentenced to shovel cow poops for the rest of their lives