Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default How did you all feel about Spidey killing in Avengers: Endgame?

I’ve been thinking about this recently because after going over a bit of Batman media, even with his famous no killing rule, there are many examples of him disregarding that rule when battling aliens. This made me think about how Pete makes a very conscious effort not to kill alien life as well, even if they would be mindless drones. I do think the moment in Endgame was a cool moment, but at the same time I do feel it was a bit of a Deviation from Spidey’s normal moral rule set.

I am aware that there are multiple times Spidey has killed with or without knowing (most famously Charlie), but aside from that Marvel seems to have been trying to retcon the few times 616 Spidey did appear to kill someone, most recently being the Finisher, who’s death was retconned near the latter end of Spencer’s run.

Basically how did y’all feel about the Endgame insta-kill moment.

On a separate note, I think keeping Charlie’s death canon and referencing it more frequently strengthens 616 Pete as a character, and I like how much attention it has been getting in recent years, especially since we know how Pete could have taken a much darker path to become Assassin Spidey, as shown in the What-If issue.

Don't think Spider-Man should be a killer, although, in the case of Endgame, I didn't really have a problem; in context, this was a war with everyone as soldiers, not him hunting down criminals and being judge, jury, and executioner.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm amazed anyone noticed this and not the fact that Peter had already killed someone in Infinity War.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm not a fan but it's the MCU, heroes kill pretty frequently there. Sadly, the same can be said for the vast majority of superhero movies.

I got over being annoyed by it with Batman movies in the 90's.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The MCU has a very loose set of ethics for killing people in their movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm not a fan but it's the MCU, heroes kill pretty frequently there. Sadly, the same can be said for the vast majority of superhero movies.

I got over being annoyed by it with Batman movies in the 90's.
    Yeah, I always get confused about how angry people get about Batman killing but give the MCU a pass, where pretty much everyone is a killer and very casual about it. I grew up with the Burton Batman and (kinda) Reeve Superman killing, so I just accept it as a reality of these adaptations and shrug it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    On a separate note, I think keeping Charlie’s death canon and referencing it more frequently strengthens 616 Pete as a character, and I like how much attention it has been getting in recent years, especially since we know how Pete could have taken a much darker path to become Assassin Spidey, as shown in the What-If issue.
    I don't like concepts like Assassin Spidey being seen as a true route heroes could take, it's such an absurd deviation to go from "I killed once without intending to and I hate myself for it" to "I killed that guy because he's breathing the same oxygen as me" lol.

Either way, MCU is more casual about killing, I'm pretty sure even the likes of Cap and Hawkeye are more casual about killing, and both are not fans of doing so in the comics, specially Hawkeye (As long as he's not being written by Bendis), so it's more understandable for Spidey to kill too, as long as he doesn't go overboard with it of course, kill if it's in a situation like a war, but don't go Punisher into someone who was littering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Probably not a great idea but it's not like it would be too believable in live action to just knock all aliens out with no casualties.
    For the most part NWH handled the "Spider-Man saves everyone" theme alright.

Didn't mind cause it was a war against aliens. I think killing in a war and killing criminals in the streets is definitely different. Especially in a case where you are being invaded by a foreign force.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, I always get confused about how angry people get about Batman killing but give the MCU a pass, where pretty much everyone is a killer and very casual about it. I grew up with the Burton Batman and (kinda) Reeve Superman killing, so I just accept it as a reality of these adaptations and shrug it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I don't like concepts like Assassin Spidey being seen as a true route heroes could take, it's such an absurd deviation to go from "I killed once without intending to and I hate myself for it" to "I killed that guy because he's breathing the same oxygen as me" lol.

Either way, MCU is more casual about killing, I'm pretty sure even the likes of Cap and Hawkeye are more casual about killing, and both are not fans of doing so in the comics, specially Hawkeye (As long as he's not being written by Bendis), so it's more understandable for Spidey to kill too, as long as he doesn't go overboard with it of course, kill if it's in a situation like a war, but don't go Punisher into someone who was littering.
    Kate Bishop literally blows people up and basically laughs about it.

Extraordinary Member

The MCU always seems to make exceptions for aliens.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kate Bishop literally blows people up and basically laughs about it.
    The tracksuits were amazingly resilient. Getting blown up, shot, smashed, arrowed and then back again just peachy in the next episode. It easily had the most comic booky violence of all the MCU TV shows so far.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I disliked it immensely, especially since the act of killing will have zero bearing on his character going forward because 'aliens'.

When you see Tony first program it in to the suit I was like WOW. People are going to be pissed he gave a suit with a killing mode to a 15 year old kid. Although Tony saw what was coming and Peter used it when he absolutely had too. He wasn't all Frank Castle with it. It was self-defense.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark