Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Does it really matter how they handle the situation when they control so much of the content anyhow? You can't cancel Disney, its pretty much impossible. So they know that, and know that their best path is to not go to either extreme but walk somewhere in the middle. Get everyone their cake and eat it too.
    You can't cancel them because they're one of the what...six corporations that own the majority of the media we consume? Anyone who thinks Disney is pushing some sort of "left wing" agenda is kidding themselves. It's like calling Marvel indie comics or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    You can't cancel them because they're one of the what...six corporations that own the majority of the media we consume? Anyone who thinks Disney is pushing some sort of "left wing" agenda is kidding themselves. It's like calling Marvel indie comics or something.
    Some people think a woman lead, or a black lead, or heaven forbid a black female lead is pushing the Left Wing Agenda.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I see it as a simple thing. Greed.

Disney should not be buying IPs that forces them to go out of their lane because of money.

Politics has very complex topics and themes. The goal disney sets for itself is to try and have a basic common ground that 95% of mainstream party political narratives can fall under. That is why they thrive on family friendly branding. However, buying IPs that forces strong adult conversations has not been to their own benefits not just artistically but politically as well.

Lastly I can now official say that I hate how the woke term is used today. the woke term has been destroyed and I think like the N word, it is time African Americans and POCs take the...a word back and use it to empower themselves.

Woke originally meant African Americans who never fell for any kind of racism, regardless of how it was sugar coated. they were ''woke '' in the sense that they were alive and well informed to all the ways racism and racist people behaved.

However, woke now means changing some characters well established sexuality for no reason or changing genders of characters for no reason and rectoning loads of comic/fiction lore for no reason. urgh, it is so annoying this is what woke means now and I am sick of it. If this is why disney has been having some hard times lately. Maybe they need rethink about things.
    Disney created Touchstone specifically so that they could make R-rated films. And they bought Miramax ( The Wienstein indie company) back in the 90's. Disney is about making money period.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Why would the far left be angry at Disney? After watching 70% of the Eternals (I just found the picture boring as hell and couldn't finish) other than DC's Death of the Justice League, you can't get more 'woke' than that.

I don't remember the 'conservative boycotts' ever holding weight. They made similar threats regarding Black Panther and Beauty and the Beast. They're pretty much a fart vs a hurricane.

Its not just Disney force feeding this message. DC is upping them another notch with the Death of the Justice League. Kevin Smith pretty much crapped on He-Man

These days its one extreme vs the other. Personally, both sides disgust me.
    This might be opening a can of worms, but what is so "woke" about Death of The Justice League?

By the way, DC is owned by Warner Bros, another conglomerate that owns everything...

Art is inherently political one way or the other. Whether we agree with the politics within a specific project will vary, but so long as Disney makes films, books, and other materials, they make art, therefore they will be a faction in whatever so-called culture wars exist (and, seeing how influential they are as a company, they will help shape the future of the "wars," for good or ill).

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Lastly I can now official say that I hate how the woke term is used today. the woke term has been destroyed and I think like the N word, it is time African Americans and POCs take the...a word back and use it to empower themselves.

Woke originally meant African Americans who never fell for any kind of racism, regardless of how it was sugar coated. they were ''woke '' in the sense that they were alive and well informed to all the ways racism and racist people behaved.

However, woke now means changing some characters well established sexuality for no reason or changing genders of characters for no reason and rectoning loads of comic/fiction lore for no reason. urgh, it is so annoying this is what woke means now and I am sick of it. If this is why disney has been having some hard times lately. Maybe they need rethink about things.
    From what I've seen, "woke" has come to be slang for "progressiveness," generally used to be derisive, although that may vary on the context. So, while "woke" can be applied to creative changes, that's usually a generalization, usually up to the point that the word becomes meaningless.

Whether the word should be "reclaimed" I sure's heck don't know. However, since it can't be, it's kind of a moot point. Frankly, due to how language works, specifically how words change meaning over time, are loaned, and mutate, etc., "woke" was never going to remain exclusive to one demographic. It would eventually go viral and be subject to all the shifting that language undergoes. Not saying we have to like it (esp. seeing how it's become primarily an insult to attack the things it was invented to support), but it was probably inevitable. (The N-word might be an exception to reclamation, however, it's a racist slur, so there's no acceptable usage for it outside the black community, so there's nothing holding it back. "Woke" does not have that and isn't considered by society at large to be racist to use, so there's no incentive to give it up.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

This might be opening a can of worms, but what is so "woke" about Death of The Justice League?

By the way, DC is owned by Warner Bros, another conglomerate that owns everything...
    I presume they kill off the white male characters and have women/non-white replacements take up the mantles of the fallen.

I haven't watched much DC animated stuff since the Nu52 took over, coupled with finally getting the crack-ship everyone asked not to be subjected to, so I can't do more than guess.

Although having Steel fill in for Superman or Mr. Terrific take over for Batman seems like cases of a well established supporting character take over for the former, and the most capable replacement in the DC universe for the latter. Mr. Terrific is good to great at everything, it's why they made him the Justice Society's analogue to Batman in the first place.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I presume they kill off the white male characters and have women/non-white replacements take up the mantles of the fallen.

I haven't watched much DC animated stuff since the Nu52 took over, coupled with finally getting the crack-ship everyone asked not to be subjected to, so I can't do more than guess.

Although having Steel fill in for Superman or Mr. Terrific take over for Batman seems like cases of a well established supporting character take over for the former, and the most capable replacement in the DC universe for the latter. Mr. Terrific is good to great at everything, it's why they made him the Justice Society's analogue to Batman in the first place.
    Yeah, but this is probably the 4th time the Justice League has broken up or "died" and maybe the 3rd time they were replaced by hip young people that included a couple of minority characters. Seriously, it's been a trope since the mid-80's.

Yeah, but this is probably the 4th time the Justice League has broken up or "died" and maybe the 3rd time they were replaced by hip young people that included a couple of minority characters. Seriously, it's been a trope since the mid-80's.
    The difference this time is probably the fact that many of the replacements change race, gender, or sexuality, whereas before only one or two would have done that (And certainly not Batman and Superman at the same time! Insert rolleyes emoji here) The question to me is whether or not the story is good and are those new characters taking up the mantle well done characters? A flat character is a flat character, no matter what veneer you do or don't put on top of them, and a poorly crafted story isn't saved by refusing to pander to "wokeness", nor by embracing it either.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My aunt has a friend that bitches about the black spiderman. I asked if he even know who that was. He said he didnt know his name. I showed him several pictures of spiderman costumes and asked him to point out the black Spiderman. He couldnt because he did has never read a comic in his life. That is kid stuff. I asked why he is so mad. "The fact that a black Spiderman even exists. Was his answer. My next sentence was throwing his ass out of my house. I wont have it here.

Sadly these are the people that society gives so much weight to/
    so true some times I REALLY want to say "you know I heard your point, but considering it shows me your racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, trans,and homophobic worldview I'm calling you a bigot." to those people

Quote Originally Posted by LordLeviathan View Post
    so true some times I REALLY want to say "you know I heard your point, but considering it shows me your racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, trans,and homophobic worldview I'm calling you a bigot." to those people
    Everyone always says we have to be respectful of other people's view points and opinions. See the other side Blah Blah.

But when the other side is a view point of hatred, racism, trans and Homophobia, Anti Woman. No I dont have to respect it nor do I have to be understanding of it. Im sick of this "Well look at it from their point." No I wont. if they show themselves to be a hateful bigot then their views should not be respected, understood or talked away. End of story.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Anyone who uses “family-friendly” as an excuse not to feature LGBTQ+ characters reveals themselves as a bigot. Phastos was the most family-friendly thing in Eternals - dude is literally the cliche suburban father who turns into a superhero, no different than the dad in Incredibles, and his scenes at home are G-rated. The character’s identity isn’t what makes something family-friendly or not and if you believe otherwise, you have a problem.

Disney is a giant global corporation, so I don’t look to it to lead. But, even compared to other studios, I’ve never felt like it is or has ever been progressive. It feels like they are the last to move on everything. Any positive things that come out of them is externally driven. Fans connect with characters and story, but it’s not because of some kind of intentional commitment on their part. Fans made Gay Days at the park a thing. Workforce composition demands better employment policies. They are reactive, just like they were in this situation.

Last point, I don’t view human rights as political. I have all kinds of friends with whom I disagree on tax policies, healthcare, environmental issues, etc. I don’t and won’t have friends who tell me that they want government to take my basic rights and freedoms away because of who I am.

BANNED

It's not so much about being friends with them as understanding they exist and have opinions and voting rights and influence just like you do and the way to change their minds (where that's possible) isn't to spew hatred right back at them and isolate or alienate them and force a culture war but to try and make the best argument and help to find those who are closer to your way of thinking or who hold their bigoted views for cultural/religious reasons and who can be made to see reason when shown examples and facts that counter what they've been taught.

You have the advantage in the moral argument and basic reality. When you just reflexively spew hatred back like a an animal that's been poked with a stick that reflexively attacks a perceived threat you give them the out they need not to consider your argument because there's no discussion being had. There's terms set (my way or the highway, whether right or wrong) and labels applied (evil/racist/homophobic/etc.). People want to be comfortable with holding their beliefs and don't want to examine them (that goes for all of us). When you offer nothing but anger and dismissal you enable those who want to ignore you. Because why wouldn't they, when you have nothing of value to offer other than feeling morally superior?

You don't have to move a large percentage of people to make change politically or in the wider world. But you won't move anyone if you're just looking to pat yourself on the back and s##t on other people. Even when you might feel like they deserve it. So by all means, do what you're going to do. Indulge in a self-righteous and ultimately selfish tantrum. But don't expect it to mean anything to anyone, or to help anyone currently under threat by those you're s##tting on, or to make anyone respect your stance outside of your bubble. Don't mistake what you're doing for taking a stand for what's right or making a difference.

I agree that companies should avoid being political, the problem is that the word "political" is constantly misused to mean "featuring opinions I don't agree with". There is nothing woke or political about featuring diverse characters, and it shouldn't be an issue in the western world, representing characters from all walks of life should be done as a matter of course.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Anyone who uses “family-friendly” as an excuse not to feature LGBTQ+ characters reveals themselves as a bigot. Phastos was the most family-friendly thing in Eternals - dude is literally the cliche suburban father who turns into a superhero, no different than the dad in Incredibles, and his scenes at home are G-rated. The character’s identity isn’t what makes something family-friendly or not and if you believe otherwise, you have a problem.

Disney is a giant global corporation, so I don’t look to it to lead. But, even compared to other studios, I’ve never felt like it is or has ever been progressive. It feels like they are the last to move on everything. Any positive things that come out of them is externally driven. Fans connect with characters and story, but it’s not because of some kind of intentional commitment on their part. Fans made Gay Days at the park a thing. Workforce composition demands better employment policies. They are reactive, just like they were in this situation.

Last point, I don’t view human rights as political. I have all kinds of friends with whom I disagree on tax policies, healthcare, environmental issues, etc. I don’t and won’t have friends who tell me that they want government to take my basic rights and freedoms away because of who I am.
    QFT.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

We understand they exist. Trust me. Every minority person in America knows that they exist. We’ve been dealing with them our whole lives. Minorities are always told that they have to be nice to get anywhere, “don’t offend anyone” and maybe they’ll like you. It’s your job as a minority to teach them. Do their homework for them. “They’re not to blame for hating you, you are because you haven’t tried hard enough to convince them.” Straight white Christians have been trained that they get to be, say, and do anything they want, no matter how horrible and everyone who isn’t like them just has to take it.

It’s exhausting.

And it doesn’t work. It has only validated them and encouraged them to be worse.

When Trump won, all the news stories were about how Democrats had to understand his voters. The NYT and CNN and everyone else spent thousands of hours exploring their motivations, humanizing their hate, etc. When Biden won, they repeated the same story - how can Biden unite the country. All the things Biden has to know about the people who voted for Trump. It’s always about the bigots. They never have to take responsibility for their hate and no one ever holds them accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    We understand they exist. Trust me. Every minority person in America knows that they exist. We’ve been dealing with them our whole lives. Minorities are always told that they have to be nice to get anywhere, “don’t offend anyone” and maybe they’ll like you. It’s your job as a minority to teach them. Do their homework for them. “They’re not to blame for hating you, you are because you haven’t tried hard enough to convince them.” Straight white Christians have been trained that they get to be, say, and do anything they want, no matter how horrible and everyone who isn’t like them just has to take it.

It’s exhausting.

And it doesn’t work. It has only validated them and encouraged them to be worse.

When Trump won, all the news stories were about how Democrats had to understand his voters. The NYT and CNN and everyone else spent thousands of hours exploring their motivations, humanizing their hate, etc. When Biden won, they repeated the same story - how can Biden unite the country. All the things Biden has to know about the people who voted for Trump. It’s always about the bigots. They never have to take responsibility for their hate and no one ever holds them accountable.
    That is the thing I dont understand. When it comes to racists and bigots we are always told. "Well we have to try and see their side." As a gay man I have been attacked both verbally and physically. Am I supposed to play nice and engage in a spirted debate while I am getting spit on or punched in the face? Is a minority supposed to understand the other persons point of view as they are being attacked or having their voting rights ripped away?

Come on with that crap. Hate and bigotry are not a two sides issue. I am tired of being told that. A person is either a decent human being or they are not. End of story. I am not going to take my time to respect and understand why some one hates me for no reason and tells me I am not the same as anyone else and I dont have the same rights. We shouldnt sit back and respect the point of view of anyone who thinks POC dont deserve the same chances as white males because of what ever BS reason is Fox News current talking point.

Its funny how racists and bigots and people who support a party of racists and bigots demand the respect they refuse to give anyone who does not look like them or is the same sexual orientation as they are. They want our respect give us respect for once. It is not too much to ask to be treated as a basic human and not an abnormal plague on society.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-10-2022 at 07:37 AM.