Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Which kills the potential drama of the moment, and is one of the reason why as excellent as Morrison is, their Batman's personality isn't the strongest selling point and can turn some people cold.

If Bruce got bad-touched so Damian was born, than we *should* have him display some trauma and behavior for that. If it was consensual, then there should be some heartache and complexity between the two of them.

I can et Batman being a dick, but if its just lazy writing because that particular type of characterization nuance isn't what appeals about Batman to Morrison, than I'm not going to find it interesting. It's like how Damian became so much more interesting once Bryan Q. Miller juxtaposed his nature against Stephanie Brown's more down-to-earth personality and highlighted the absurdity and tragedy in a more human way.

It's also why I think Talia wasn't interesting at all in the movies they made trying to adapt some elements form Morrison's run; remove Morrison's madcap meta-textual flooding of the story with symbolism, references, and in-jokes, and what you're left with is a painfully banal, ubiquitous, and unimpressive Talia who'd be interchangeable from any dime-a-dozen mastermind if she hadn't popped out Damian, and even that fact doesn't get the drama pulled out of it.

If the idea is "Bruce slept with the devil and had a kid," there should be a lot more drama to that beyond what Morrison conjured up.
    This might just be me, but maybe the issue is Talia even being a villain in the first place?

If the only thing that makes her interesting as a villain is that she and Bruce had a relationship that resulted in a child, frankly she's better off as either a good guy or not existing at all. The Batman franchise already has too many female villains defined by a relationship with a man.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This might just be me, but maybe the issue is Talia even being a villain in the first place?

If the only thing that makes her interesting as a villain is that she and Bruce had a relationship that resulted in a child, frankly she's better off as either a good guy or not existing at all. The Batman franchise already has too many female villains defined by a relationship with a man.
    Eh, I'd say Talia is at her best when she's allowed to do some *good* soap opera stuff, with that being what should separate her more from her father or Bane. And part of her character package was always being a hanger-on to her father without ever going full rebel, so some elements of antagonism should also always be present.

I don't think she should ever be a good guy again, but she really should be the lesser of two evils compared to her father - while also running an organization comparable in scope to his.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Talia's whole point of existence was to be Batman's Bond girl. She probably should have been killed off, ala Tracy at the end of OHMSS.

BANNED

Her transformation towards leading the Assassins was pretty inevitable but it's definitely not satisfying to deviate her to this degree where she kills his own son and pretty much become his own father which she wasn't fond of before. This was the low point of Morrison's run

Fantastic Member

I LOVE Talia as a villain written by everyone accept GM. She is a zealot raised from childhood to have a cult like reverence/fear of her father Ra's Al Ghul. I THINK Bruce see's that and it is what allows him to feel for her despite all the things she does, to say nothing of the fact that she is almost impossible to resist as said by Bruce, The Calculator and Felix Faust. I DO think the description that Talia is in love and in hate with Batman is accurate. Talia's creator said Talia would ultimately choose evil over good.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

What are the essential Talia Al Ghul stories that are more faithful to the character than Morrison's interpretation?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    What are the essential Talia Al Ghul stories that are more faithful to the character than Morrison's interpretation?
    The Demon Trilogy and everything else by O'Neil
    No idea about later authors

Detective Comics #411 (her introduction, all the stuff written by Denny O'Neill and Neil Adams are recommended.

Birth of the Demon: Mainly Ras origin but it also explores her relationship with her father.

JLA: Tower of Babel: There are some good Talia moments in this.

JLA: Secret Files & Origin: Shows Talia stealing Bruce's plans. This one is from her pov and actually explores her thoughts on the whole thing.

The Batman & Robin Adventures #9: Talia vs Batgirl. One of the rare we get to see how much of a good fighter Talia is.

The Batman Adventures #13: 'Last Tango In Paris'. Bruce and Talia are on a date in Paris in between adventures.

The Batman Adventures #29 'Demon Seed'. Will Talia carry on her father's dream if he were gone?

Batman Adventures #4

Bane of the Demon (mini series)

Batman: Chronicles #8

Batman: Gotham Adventures #40

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Fantastic Member

Mark maid's Tower of babel while trying to murder the Justice League Talia reflects on breaking into the Justice League Watchtower and the Batcave. it paints a very memorable picture of the way she looks at the world and the lengths she will go to upon instruction from her father. what she is willing to do to heroes who aren't Bruce and the world. it also showed how the AlGhuls keep track of all potential threats Talia comments how they learned a lot from others who broke into the Watchtower including Prometheus, Lex Luthor and The Key.

The most Suitable Person. Lex Luthor recruits Talia to run Lexcorp while he is President of the United States. Watching Lex and Talia slither around each other is entertaining.

Fantastic Member

Those are over in Superman during the LexCorp years. Also known as the best Talia stories as she's full on anti-villain/antihero and pretty much over Bruce as both himself and Batman.

Talia's greatest sin as a character, which is why Morrison, Simone, et al decided she's evil (besides the fact that reading most DC comics for the last 15 years is a bit like reading Lovecraft, occasionally a good story and so much racism and misogyny) was she took off all of Bruce's masks, saw the real person beneath, and decided to move on.

She's not part of the "Faked their deaths to break up with Batman" club solely due to Talia doesn't believe in faking her death. She dies. But like Silver St Cloud and Sasha Bordeaux, Talia prior to Morrison was a woman who understood what Bruce was and moved on.

Making her obsessed with Bruce is just Morrison being Morrison.

...wait. I take it back. Talia has faked her death in canon. She and Ra's framed Batman for her murder once. It's a weird, yet enjoyable story even if she has no good lines.

Morrison's Talia might be one of the most terrifying villains I personally ever saw Batman face. He seemed out of his depth going against her and what's worse she admitted to pretty much playing with him and not really taking the whole thing seriously. Leviathan was just her wanting to ridicule and humiliate Batman inc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Morrison's Talia might be one of the most terrifying villains I personally ever saw Batman face. He seemed out of his depth going against her and what's worse she admitted to pretty much playing with him and not really taking the whole thing seriously. Leviathan was just her wanting to ridicule and humiliate Batman inc.
    I though I was the only person who liked Talia written by Morrison.

Maybe it helps that I didn't read comics about Talia before that, but I really found the character interesting in Batman Inc. The issue about her backstory was one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-17-2022 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I though I was the only person who liked Talia written by Morrison.

Maybe it helps that I didn't read comics about Talia before that, but I really found the character interesting in Batman Inc. The issue about her backstory was one of my favorites.
    Way I see it during the Batman Inc era it was Batman at his peak where he was overconfident and probably felt he was near unstoppable. Seeing Talia come in and humbling him was great specially since this was written by Morrison who a lot of people blame for being responsible for the batgod trope. And Talia being so ruthless and unwavering is a breath of fresh air in an era where female villains seemingly aren't allowed to remain evil or have to have some redeeming excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Way I see it during the Batman Inc era it was Batman at his peak where he was overconfident and probably felt he was near unstoppable. Seeing Talia come in and humbling him was great specially since this was written by Morrison who a lot of people blame for being responsible for the batgod trope. And Talia being so ruthless and unwavering is a breath of fresh air in an era where female villains seemingly aren't allowed to remain evil or have to have some redeeming excuse.
    "Seemingly" being the key word here.

I don't think replacing one stereotype with the other is the answer here.

Talia had shades of being a submissive exotic Asian/Arab woman in her earlier stories. Turning her into a Dragon Lady (as tv tropes calls it) doesn't really fix anything.

She shouldn't be a super villain just for the sake of having a female super villain. Nyssa was always the more out and out villain.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly