Thread: Spice

Default Spice

With the new Dune movie out I see a bunch of comparative list to Star Wars. I don't want to get a compare and contrast between the two just where Spice has its place in Star Wars. From every thing that I can tell especially with it insurgence into the Boba Fett series and with Poe running it was seen in as a negative, that it is a drug. Thus brings me to my question Owen Lars tells Luke that his father was a navigator on a "spice" freighter. Did Lukes's uncle tell him that his dad ran drugs?
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    With the new Dune movie out I see a bunch of comparative list to Star Wars. I don't want to get a compare and contrast between the two just where Spice has its place in Star Wars. From every thing that I can tell especially with it insurgence into the Boba Fett series and with Poe running it was seen in as a negative, that it is a drug. Thus brings me to my question Owen Lars tells Luke that his father was a navigator on a "spice" freighter. Did Lukes's uncle tell him that his dad ran drugs?
    I believe the official idea for a while was that "spice" is a medicinal drug that can be abused, with some legal trade and usage vastly overshadowed by its black market and abuse.

It's clearly got some ambiguous legality and illegality.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Better for Luke to believe his father was a small-time criminal than well, the other thing...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I believe the official idea for a while was that "spice" is a medicinal drug that can be abused, with some legal trade and usage vastly overshadowed by its black market and abuse.

It's clearly got some ambiguous legality and illegality.
    With the way he was trying to dissuade Luke from following his father I think the implication that Anakin was a no-account drifter, and drug smuggler certainly fits.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Funny thing is, Owen was kind of half-right-Anakin did use an old spice freighter in the Clone Wars TV show, although it was written out fairly early in the series.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Twilight
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Wook entry on spice does note that there are legitimate uses for it, even if it is mostly known as an illegal narcotic. There's even a throwaway line in Attack of the Clones regarding a legal spice-mining operation in Naboo space.

I suppose, for that matter, the spice in the cover story could refer to cooking spices (e.g. salt and stuff), not drug spice (as unlikely as that may be).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Han Solo is a drug runner as well. The Star Wars version of one of the Miami Vice villains using go-fast boats to move cocaine into the States. Tatooine is like the galaxy's Cuba or something, or even some more back-water island used to stage these things, or with a wild Western slant, where Jabba is like El Chapo or something and life in that desert is still something out of Narcos. With I guess the exception that in the Republic, Empire, or New Republic, I've never seen any like, "Anti-Spice ATF or Drug Enforcement" branch thwarting these things, though we must take things like "Even I get boarded sometimes" Han Solo to have been interrupted by Imperials who are specifically tasked with Drug Enforcement. Which makes my brain run wild thinking about some storyline like that. "Naboo Vice", where Imperial undercover cops are all over the place, or a Breaking Bad or Narcos Star Wars story.

Other than that, I really like how when they finally depicted spice in The Book of Boba Fett, it just looked like cinnamon. I thought that was both simple, aesthetic, and kind of really funny.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Being against drugs/drug running is the only the Empire and the Republic actually agree on lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Better for Luke to believe his father was a small-time criminal than well, the other thing...
    indeed

"This child murderer isn't such a bad guy."

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."