Default So went to Books A million yesterday

So yesterday i headed to books a million to pick up the deadpool manga. As i went to the doors out front is the "on sale" books for $3 to $6. And right by the door was a full section of dc and marvel trades outside on sale! Headed in and to the graphic novel and manga area and was surprised. The marvel and dc section shrunk again (all those trades outside) and they had one small wal-mart bookcase sized area for marvel and dc combined and the idw, image archie stuff has one on the next isle combined same size.

Rest are all manga! Tons of manga! I know manga outsells marvel and dc trades but this is crazy! There is next to no marvel and dc trades anymore in the store. The kids section does have some moon girl, dc young reader trades and ms marvel trades for kids but they are small compared to guts, dogman, zelda manga, smurfs, big nate and mountains of pokemon manga!

Where are all the marvel and dc trades? Looks like they are all at ollies for $5! I heard b & N still have more marvel and dc trades but this bam visit does make me wonder about marvel and dc's hero trades?

Are they in trouble? Will chains like books a million start carrying less of them? Our target just added a manga section as well but no marvel and dc section!

What can marvel and dc do to restart interest in the hero trades? Ads on tv? What do you guys think?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

One of the problems in my area is there are such few bookstores, period. We do have a Books a Million at the local mall but it's in a much smaller space then the one that used to be in the mall when it first opened. Might have been a Walden books IIRC.
    There is a Barnes & Noble not far from me and they have a couple of bookcases of Marvel & DC comics. They also have a decent toy section that sometimes gets in Marvel Legends figures and Marvel & DC Funko Pop. Fortunately, several comic book shops have large TPB sections and there is a 2nd and Charles store that has quite a large section too. If you are lucky you can find a recent Marvel Omnibus for almost half the price. Of course you can also get your LCS to order books for you too.

My favorite source for books online was Tales of Wonder and they run good sales there too. They used to be an independent company but the owner sold the business to DCBS. a while back. However they have kept the TOW website active. It's just very outdated. Discount Comic Book Service has some of the stuff that got removed from TOW. I remember they used to sell the Bowen Design statues and busts on TOW.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-11-2022 at 09:16 AM.