Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ancalagon the Black vs Fin Fang Foom

Ancalagon the Black vs Fin Fang Foom

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Ancalagon the Black vs Fin Fang Foom
    Not sure if Ancalagon even notices Fin Fang Foom. You know how Smaug dwarfs most other characters in the Hobbit? Yeah, here's an estimated size comparison between Smaug and Ancalagon;

It took a prophesied half-Elven hero, a veritable swarm of Great Eagles, and the help of other allies to bring down Ancalagon.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Essentially Ancalagon was big enough that his death throes tore up three mountains larger than Everest.

If Pendaran is to be believed (and why not?), the thing that killed him was Eärendil's Silmaril Main Reflex Cannon.

Alternately, it was what was mentioned above plus whatever point defense and missiles the Valar stuffed in Vingilot.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Sigh, I thought this thread was about Acnologia from Fairy Tail.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

All I know about Fin Fang Foom is that he has pants. Ancagalon does not. There's a clear advantage here.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Does Ancalogan have anything besides size going for him in this match, because ISTR that Fin Fang Foom is supposed to be some degree of Class 100 himself (with one of his epithets being that he's one whose limbs shatter mountains, or something along those lines), with regeneration and a decent suite of esoteric abilities (including the ability to possess and reshape the bodies of others if his current body gets too damaged to regenerate)?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    All I know about Fin Fang Foom is that he has pants. Ancagalon does not. There's a clear advantage here.
    That's only an advantage if Foom can put his opponents in his pants. Ancalagon is sadly too big for Foom's pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Not sure if Ancalagon even notices Fin Fang Foom. You know how Smaug dwarfs most other characters in the Hobbit? Yeah, here's an estimated size comparison between Smaug and Ancalagon;

It took a prophesied half-Elven hero, a veritable swarm of Great Eagles, and the help of other allies to bring down Ancalagon.
    Ate those all from LOTR?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Ate those all from LOTR?
    Well, other than Smaug, most are in the Silmarillion. But yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

Was book Smaug even remotely as big as his movie counterpart? I don't recall the cartoon version being as big as the movie counterpart either as matter of fact.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Does Ancalogan have anything besides size going for him in this match, because ISTR that Fin Fang Foom is supposed to be some degree of Class 100 himself (with one of his epithets being that he's one whose limbs shatter mountains, or something along those lines), with regeneration and a decent suite of esoteric abilities (including the ability to possess and reshape the bodies of others if his current body gets too damaged to regenerate)?
    Yeah any class 100 brick should be able to tear holes through him quite casually
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Is only size relevant here? Foom has many powers:

• If his body is killed, he survives as an astral form and can use spirit possession.

• He has devoured a military installation's worth of gamma nukes/bombs and assimilated them for raw power.

• He can telepathically control other forms of reptilian life.

• He can shrink down in size to almost human (could go down Anacalgon's throat, then grow in size).

Foom is also highly intelligent, being skilled with alien warp-drive technology, meaning, he can think his way through a fight.

Foom has a some ways to potentially win here. What's Anacalgon's telepathic/mind control resistance? Does he even have any?

So, I don't know enough about FFF to comment on who takes it, due to various powers or the like. Just here to make a couple of points regarding Ancalagon.

1. Ancalagon is in the class 100 range itself, given that its death throes tore apart three mountains that are larger than Everest.

2. We don't know what kind of telepathic resistance Ancalagon has, but it is NOT 'reptilian life'. Depending on which version we look at, it is either a powerful spirit given a body of enormous potency, or a magical war-machine created by Morgoth (edit: or a descendant of a Maiar given form). Flip a coin, but I'd be rather iffy on saying 'Ancalagon can be controlled by someone who can control natural reptiles'.

Also, we're getting into a territory where it feels somewhat ridiculous to put a basically featless character (beyond some vague physical capabilities) against a character that has all kinds of feats in many different areas. Leads to silliness like 'this mid-range telepath defeats this god, because the featless god was never shown to have any kind of telepathic resistance'.

Probably better to avoid using that kind of character choice in Rumbles altogether (yes, this is me saying "Ancalagon is a poor choice of characters for any Rumble as we know little of its power other than 'really big' and 'really stronk'" edit: also 'breathes scary fire'. Dude gets like...two lines about it in an entire book, that's all, plus Gandalf name-dropping in Fellowship).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-13-2022 at 05:43 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    That's only an advantage if Foom can put his opponents in his pants. Ancalagon is sadly too big for Foom's pants.
    Having said that, there's some comedy gold in this thread... ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-13-2022 at 06:23 AM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So, I don't know enough about FFF to comment on who takes it, due to various powers or the like. Just here to make a couple of points regarding Ancalagon.

1. Ancalagon is in the class 100 range itself, given that its death throes tore apart three mountains that are larger than Everest.

2. We don't know what kind of telepathic resistance Ancalagon has, but it is NOT 'reptilian life'. Depending on which version we look at, it is either a powerful spirit given a body of enormous potency, or a magical war-machine created by Morgoth (edit: or a descendant of a Maiar given form). Flip a coin, but I'd be rather iffy on saying 'Ancalagon can be controlled by someone who can control natural reptiles'.

Also, we're getting into a territory where it feels somewhat ridiculous to put a basically featless character (beyond some vague physical capabilities) against a character that has all kinds of feats in many different areas. Leads to silliness like 'this mid-range telepath defeats this god, because the featless god was never shown to have any kind of telepathic resistance'.

Probably better to avoid using that kind of character choice in Rumbles altogether (yes, this is me saying "Ancalagon is a poor choice of characters for any Rumble as we know little of its power other than 'really big' and 'really stronk'" edit: also 'breathes scary fire'. Dude gets like...two lines about it in an entire book, that's all, plus Gandalf name-dropping in Fellowship).
    Question(since you are our resident Tolkien expert) is Smaug in the books as big as he is portrayed to be in the movie? Or if he about as big as he was portrayed to be in the cartoon movie?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral