Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It wouldn't though, it would be another 20 issue slog that ultimately says nothing.
    I don't think all his books are paced like this but I haven't read his entire comic catalog.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think all his books are paced like this but I haven't read his entire comic catalog.
    Yea, his other stuff that I've read hasn't been like this.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I just don't see him coming back to normal. If editorial isn't going to rein in his excess here why would they in other projects?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I just don't see him coming back to normal. If editorial isn't going to rein in his excess here why would they in other projects?
    I think it might be less editorial and more just the story he intends to tell and what he feels is best suited for it.

I think it might be less editorial and more just the story he intends to tell and what he feels is best suited for it.
    Yeah, and editorial should have said, " Does it need to be twenty issues? How about six?"
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, and editorial should have said, " Does it need to be twenty issues? How about six?"
    Eh, tomayto, tomahto - presumably he pitched this as a long run and that's what they approved so I don't really think it's editorial not reigning him in - and while it's not getting rave reviews on here I have to assume it's meeting their expectations re: sales or they would've cut bait a long time ago.

Most of his creator owned stuff are miniseries. Swamp Thing and JLD were the only things I've read that ran close to this long. He did do Venom with Ewing but the Eddie portions tend to be more hit or miss than Dylan's portions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Eh, tomayto, tomahto - presumably he pitched this as a long run and that's what they approved so I don't really think it's editorial not reigning him in - and while it's not getting rave reviews on here I have to assume it's meeting their expectations re: sales or they would've cut bait a long time ago.
    It's fine to pitch a long story but there is nothing here to make it worth it. When you're only paying 30 bucks for a story your expectations as a reader are lower and "decent" is still not a terrible value. But when you're at around 200 bucks the expectation is that it best be the greatest Batman story ever told...and this isn't even close so editorial should have been able to see that and made him cut it back.

I guess we'll know when he does another ongoing. So far his current projects are a set of miniseries. Ram V did hint at a reinvention he's doing so that could be a solo.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-22-2024 at 03:53 AM.

It's fine to pitch a long story but there is nothing here to make it worth it. When you're only paying 30 bucks for a story your expectations as a reader are lower and "decent" is still not a terrible value. But when you're at around 200 bucks the expectation is that it best be the greatest Batman story ever told...and this isn't even close so editorial should have been able to see that and made him cut it back.
    This is the same editorial that approved Gotham War though...

This is the same editorial that approved Gotham War though...
    That's what I'm saying, the editorial team just isn't doing their job.

Dan Watters needs to be the main writer on Detective, his back ups continue to be the best part of this book.

I didn't care for Ram's Catwoman run either. He may be more cut out for supernatural stuff maybe.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I didn't care for Ram's Catwoman run either. He may be more cut out for supernatural stuff maybe.
    I don't think it's that he's trapped to one genre though I did love his Justice League Dark and Swamp Thing runs, he's a talented writer to be sure and his dialog and characterization have been top notch on Detective. He writes a great Batman, and the idea of a cult taking control of Gotham through some magical narrative power is interesting...it's just that it doesn't need to be 20+ issues. There's just no real reason for a story to be that long. If this was say a six to eight issue story I'd have zero problems with it, but the longer you go the higher the expectations and at 21+ issues and around 200 bucks it has to be the greatest Batman story of all time...and it's not.

It's a rare miss, but it works better on a reread.

It's 3 separate tales that kinda tie together by the end.

It's a weak point of the run and probably reads better in trade.

It feels like an intermission than an resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Some of his indie work is grounded and I thought the Question moments were good.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-23-2024 at 12:45 PM.