Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Most of his creator owned stuff are miniseries. Swamp Thing and JLD were the only things I've read that ran close to this long. He did do Venom with Ewing but the Eddie portions tend to be more hit or miss than Dylan's portions.
    Wait you got it reversed there. Ram V wrote the Dylan segments which generally tended to be less received than the Eddie portions by Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Wait you got it reversed there. Ram V wrote the Dylan segments which generally tended to be less received than the Eddie portions by Ewing.
    Alright but I was describing my take on the venom run rather than explaining for the fandom.

I found the Meridus aspect to be the make or break aspect for that run. So it's the part I'd wish they'd just hurry up with. The Dylan stuff has a quicker payoff.

Ewing's part is more comparable to this runs complaint by @thwhtGuardian than Ram's handling of Dylan.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-23-2024 at 06:32 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, and editorial should have said, " Does it need to be twenty issues? How about six?"

I read Detective last night and it was ok . Initially I was enjoying Ram's story , still am to a certain point .
    But I feel that the whole thing is just dragging on for too long .
    Am I in the minority here ? Or does anyone else feel the same ?
    At the same time , I want Ram to tell the story that he wants .

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I read Detective last night and it was ok . Initially I was enjoying Ram's story , still am to a certain point .
    Pacing seems to be an issue for me. I'm enjoying it more than others but I wished Ram V used the length of the run better. Compared to his other work, this run tends to drag.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I think most of us feel it's too drawn out at this point
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Hi.

Is this run worth reading?
    When did this run begin?
    What's the latest issue?
    What's the best arc?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Hi.

Is this run worth reading?
    When did this run begin?
    What's the latest issue?
    What's the best arc?

Thanks in advance!
    Is this run worth reading?yes
    When did this run begin? 1062-1089
    What's the latest issue? 1081
    What's the best arc? tie between the annual and Gotham Nocturne

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Detect.../dp/1779520948

The annual could work as a taste tester to see if Ram V's run is for you.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-26-2024 at 02:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Is this run worth reading?yes
    When did this run begin? 1062-1089
    What's the latest issue? 1081
    What's the best arc? tie between the annual and Gotham Nocturne

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Detect.../dp/1779520948

The annual could work as a taste tester to see if Ram V's run is for you.
    There are no arcs...it's just one big run on sentence at this point. An arc means it has its own discrete beginning, middle and end that you can read in isolation of any other story and still have it be a satisfying read. Literally none of Detective is like that right now.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

There are no arcs...it's just one big run on sentence at this point. An arc means it has its own discrete beginning, middle and end that you can read in isolation of any other story and still have it be a satisfying read. Literally none of Detective is like that right now.
    I thought Nocturne had an resolution in Bruce letting the tower being blown up instead of letting Arzen activate the city engine . Plus it's collected in a trade so it was easier to track down.

I disagree about this story not having arcs. It's just more like an Shonen/Seinen manga arc. Those can drag but Detective Comics is mercifully shorter than those.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-28-2024 at 10:12 AM.

I thought Nocturne had an resolution in Bruce letting the tower being blown up instead of letting Arzen activate the city engine . Plus it's collected in a trade so it was easier to track down.

I disagree about this story not having arcs. It's just more like an Shonen/Seinen manga arc. Those can drag but Detective Comics is mercifully shorter than those.
    It wasn't a resolution though, as it gave no real closure and that it's collected in trade means nothing. Books like Waid's Batman and Superman have discrete arcs, Nightwing has discrete story arcs, heck even though they are overly long even Batman has legitimate story arc construction but Detective comics just isn't structured like that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It wasn't a resolution though, as it gave no real closure and that it's collected in trade means nothing. Books like Waid's Batman and Superman have discrete arcs, Nightwing has discrete story arcs, heck even though they are overly long even Batman has legitimate story arc construction but Detective comics just isn't structured like that.
    So just one continuous narrative then.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So just one continuous narrative then.
    Exactly, there are absolutely no discrete sections that are stories unto themselves.

I take it back slightly, Outlaw was a proper arc with its own definitive beginning middle and end that can be enjoyed more or less on its own. Like the arcs going on in Batman it definitely would have been better served by being cut down to three issues instead of five but it definitely had a legitimately well defined story structure that actually said something.

Extraordinary Member

Detective Comics #1082 Preview
    Writer: Ram V
    Artists: Riccardo Federici and Stefano Raffael
    Backup Writer: Dan Watters
    Backup Artist: Christopher Mitten

Scott Synder would probably approve of this.