Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

"How Gothic can we get?"

"Pretty Gothic."

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

The Orghams do come across as classic horror movie villains

Wouldn't surprise me if the boss is a vampire lord

I feel Batman does better with mysticism than sci-fi/cyberpunk themes.

So I'm enjoying Ram V's run over Zdarsky's.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-23-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    The Orghams do come across as classic horror movie villains

spoilers:
    Well if that's the case let's hope it goes better for Bruce than the last time he faced vampires.
    end of spoilers

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Imagine if all this is leading to a return for the Mad Monk.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Imagine if all this is leading to a return for the Mad Monk.
    That would be epic.

So was Two Face always talking to his "other" side or is this a new development?

Anyway, Reis killed it on art.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So was Two Face always talking to his "other" side or is this a new development?

Anyway, Reis killed it on art.

I thought he was possessed by an outside force. So his head is extra crowded.

I'm just enjoying this so much, even the slower paced issues are great. Probably the best comic run I've read all year.

This has been very well done so far. My go to issue each week. Love the art.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I found the annual to be very disappointing. I understand the idea that there are old families in Gotham, but when you have so many of them appearing (in one form or another) centuries ago it just makes me feel like I'm reading Elseworlds "Batman: 1776" story rather than the chapter of an ongoing story set in the main universe.

Some things happen, but most of them feel rather pointless and unlike with regular issues we don't have killer art covering it all up.

It made me want a Gotham 1776 spinoff but the Orghams are more of a background figure. Their plot feels very high concept. Both Zdarsky and V are riffing on Grant Morrison's run.

It was good but I rather have gotten more on the kid in the backups or the Orghams.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-29-2022 at 02:58 PM.

High concept and old secret societies have prevailed in this franchise a bit too much in my opinion...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I found the annual to be very disappointing. I understand the idea that there are old families in Gotham, but when you have so many of them appearing (in one form or another) centuries ago it just makes me feel like I'm reading Elseworlds "Batman: 1776" story rather than the chapter of an ongoing story set in the main universe.

Some things happen, but most of them feel rather pointless and unlike with regular issues we don't have killer art covering it all up.
    As an Elseworld tale I love the idea of there having been multiple Batmen and various period themed villains and allies through out the years and in the past I even liked that Morrison kind of incorporated them into continuity by having them be a time traveling Bruce Wayne...but various Batmen occurring in Gotham's past because of some ill defined magical artifact(and possibly the Phantom Stranger?) used by an evil society of immortals and that Bruce Wayne is only the current iteration seems a bridge too far.

Don't get me wrong, early colonial Batman fighting a band brigands leg by a swashbuckling version of Two-Face and teaming up the pipe smoking lawman Garrat Jardin to save a witcher woman with ties to nature was a lot of fun...but the way it made Batman seem less unique and something Bruce Wayne was always fated to become just rang wrong to me so it was hard to enjoy as a whole.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I loved the series so far but the annual......well.... annuals don't normally sell much do they, and as a result....

I think DC pretty much green lighted Ram V to engage in writer's self indulgence, because man......that was one dry painful read.