Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Ram V and Rafael Albuquerque on Detective Comics

DC Comics’s namesake title is getting a new creative team. The publisher has announced that writer Ram V, artist Rafael Albuquerque, and color artist Dave Stewart will take over the reins of Detective Comics starting in July. Kicking off in Detective Comics #1062, the team’s first four-issue story arc finds Batman embroiled in a music-themed mystery. Writer Si Spurrier will provide the ongoing backup stories for the monthly series, with the first story, illustrated by Dani, following Jim Gordon on his return to Gotham as a private investigator.

Here’s how DC describes Detective Comics #1062:

The story starts with “Gotham Nocturne” part 1 of 4: “Overture.” Something is terribly wrong with Batman. No matter the tests Bruce takes, nor the numbers he counts, the greatest detective in the world can’t pin down the source of this creeping dread—of his own inner demons and a looming mortality. He’s not alone in the grips of this terror, as it seems real demons are creeping through the shadows of Gotham City, answering the clarion call of a strange melody that’s haunting Gotham…and seems to be turning its denizens into something else.

The curtains are rising on a new, terrifying mystery as Batman tries to figure out what’s happening to both the city he protects and his own mind in this lush, operatic mystery.

Last edited by Hypo; 04-13-2022 at 07:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Looks interesting but I was hoping for a longer run from Tamaki. Despite not liking her event she wrote a great Bruce Wayne.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Going Gothic

nice

Extraordinary Member

Batman's Gotham City Transforms into a Gothic Opera in 'Gotham Nocturne'
    Ivan Reis will join the title for an upcoming arc as the artist on issues #1066-1099.
    I assume that's a typo and Reis isn't doing 33 issues straight.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This might be the second serious attempt to do, on Batman comics, what Morrison did in LOTDK "Gothic" (#6–10), one of my favorite Batman stories. Hopefully someone has asked or will ask Ram V if he's familiar with that gothic operatic story. Mozart's opera Don Giovanni is a big part of Morrison's story (maybe the only Batman story featuring untranslated italian!), at least partially functioning to highlight the story's Byronic gothic villain.

(also the hanged man and tarot have been fixtures of like nearly all of Morrison's Batman work...meaning it's hard to ignore all the apparent influence of Morrison on Ram V)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-13-2022 at 11:40 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I loved Ram V in These Savage Shores and I've always been a fan of Albuquerque and Dave Stewart. Those covers do intrigue me even more. I will keep an eye on this run to see if I jump in in collected editions
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This is very exciting. People complain about the amount of Batman books but the level of talent DC puts on both the core books and ancillary titles is always impressive.

I can imagine some people wanted Tamaki to stick round (Tynion has probably had the longest 'Tec tenure in recent memory, huh?) but I don't think we can argue against a Ram V/Rafael Albuquerque team, especially with a supernatural/Gothic Horror bent.

I'm also glad we'll be getting more PI Jim stories. Wait, isn't Bullock a PI now too? Will they team-up ?

I was enjoying Tamaki's run. Certainly going to miss Reis' pencils though. Rafael Albuquerque is OK, but I consider this a step down.

Wish they'd drop the backup story and take $1 off the price.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

This is very solid creative team, including the backups as well. And the premise is real interesting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I was enjoying Tamaki's run. Certainly going to miss Reis' pencils though. Rafael Albuquerque is OK, but I consider this a step down.

Wish they'd drop the backup story and take $1 off the price.
    Reis will be doing a future arc with Ram V.

Both the main and backup teams sound interesting. Interesting that Talia is a part of this, looks like she may be the main Batman LI again?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

And that's awesome. Ram V is incredible and I'm looking forward for his take on Batman. Hopefully he will get the main book at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Both the main and backup teams sound interesting. Interesting that Talia is a part of this, looks like she may be the main Batman LI again?
    Probably. If I'm not mistaken, she's going to appear in #1061 at the end of Riddler arc, that's exactly after Shadow War ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It should be interesting to see how Shadow War ends, one way or another...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Tamaki’s run deserves more love, even if the Arkham tower still was weak to some(I personally really enjoyed it.) that said, the pitch for this sounds incredible and glad Ivan won’t be gone for long, wonder if the book will go back to double shipping soon since they are having another artist coming in already.