Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
As an Elseworld tale I love the idea of there having been multiple Batmen and various period themed villains and allies through out the years and in the past I even liked that Morrison kind of incorporated them into continuity by having them be a time traveling Bruce Wayne...but various Batmen occurring in Gotham's past because of some ill defined magical artifact(and possibly the Phantom Stranger?) used by an evil society of immortals and that Bruce Wayne is only the current iteration seems a bridge too far.

Don't get me wrong, early colonial Batman fighting a band brigands leg by a swashbuckling version of Two-Face and teaming up the pipe smoking lawman Garrat Jardin to save a witcher woman with ties to nature was a lot of fun...but the way it made Batman seem less unique and something Bruce Wayne was always fated to become just rang wrong to me so it was hard to enjoy as a whole.
Initially I was more annoyed by not-Scarecrow, not-Penguin, not-Poison Ivy and not-Two-Face than by Batman being predetermined. But you bring up a good point, in Morrison's run Bruce created his own history, here it is because magic.