Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    As an Elseworld tale I love the idea of there having been multiple Batmen and various period themed villains and allies through out the years and in the past I even liked that Morrison kind of incorporated them into continuity by having them be a time traveling Bruce Wayne...but various Batmen occurring in Gotham's past because of some ill defined magical artifact(and possibly the Phantom Stranger?) used by an evil society of immortals and that Bruce Wayne is only the current iteration seems a bridge too far.

Don't get me wrong, early colonial Batman fighting a band brigands leg by a swashbuckling version of Two-Face and teaming up the pipe smoking lawman Garrat Jardin to save a witcher woman with ties to nature was a lot of fun...but the way it made Batman seem less unique and something Bruce Wayne was always fated to become just rang wrong to me so it was hard to enjoy as a whole.
    Initially I was more annoyed by not-Scarecrow, not-Penguin, not-Poison Ivy and not-Two-Face than by Batman being predetermined. But you bring up a good point, in Morrison's run Bruce created his own history, here it is because magic.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I loved the series so far but the annual......well.... annuals don't normally sell much do they, and as a result....

I think DC pretty much green lighted Ram V to engage in writer's self indulgence, because man......that was one dry painful read.
    Add me to the pile that have been enjoying this run but didn't care for this annual.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Initially I was more annoyed by not-Scarecrow, not-Penguin, not-Poison Ivy and not-Two-Face than by Batman being predetermined. But you bring up a good point, in Morrison's run Bruce created his own history, here it is because magic.
    In Elseworld tales I take period proxies to be part of the bit so it's never bothered me...but Bruce being predestined to become Batman because of an evil magical artifact and the interference of what appeared to be the Phantom Stranger just makes it all feel too cheap.

Again, if this were an elseworld even that last but might be bearable but part of a larger narrative? No thanks.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Just read the annual. Not what I was expecting. I liked it but it was a bit all over the place. As someone motioned have we not been down this road before with old wealthy people in Gotham and how Bruce turned out?!
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

With the debut of “Gotham Nocturne” in Detective Comics, writer Ram V and artist Rafael Alburquerque have depicted Gotham City and The Dark Knight at its most gothic, with a new family of villains with their sights set on Batman.

This March, Ram’s graphic gothic opera continues with artist Riccardo Federici in Detective Comics #1070. In “Fallen,” the first chapter in this second act, Batman goes head-to-head with an Azmer demon, unaware that this demon is someone with a connection to Bruce Wayne. This issue also introduces The Vigil – a mysterious new team of characters called upon to investigate the Azmer sightings. But who are The Vigil, and are they on Batman’s side?

This can’t-miss issue also features a back-up story spotlighting Mr. Freeze, written by Si Spurrier with art by Casper Wijngaard. With Nora Fries only a pale image of the woman Victor Fries fell in love with, what can he do now to save her?

Detective Comics #1070 arrives in comic book shops and on Tuesday, March 28, 2023. This 40-page comic features a main cover by Evan Cagle, with open to buy variant covers by Ivan Reis and gothic horror icon Kelley Jones. Jones art will also be featured as a one in fifty “ratio” variant, While artist Seb McKinnon provides a one in twenty-five “ratio” variant. This issue also includes a special variant cover featuring art by Travis Moore, inspired by Warner Bros. Pictures’ big screen action-adventure Shazam! Fury of the Gods. Fans can visit their local comic book shops for availability and pre-ordering.

That's a great Batman and Oracle cover!

Also looks like they';re finally dealing with the Nora Fries thing.

Vigil pops up in Lazarus Planet so this could be an early look at them.

I wonder if the Azhmer demon is possessing Two Face but a more left choice like Silver st. Cloud might be ideal.

I knew Federeci would get poached for a Batman book eventually

Oh well at least I’m enjoying Ram V’s Tec
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Is there any word on when this run will start being collected in trade?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    High concept and old secret societies have prevailed in this franchise a bit too much in my opinion...
    Remember when Alan Grant revealed that O'Neil told him to lay off the magic/supernatural because it does not fit with Batman? I miss those days.

Also, REALLY not a fan of predetermination. Don't care if it's Morrison or Snyder's style, it does not work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also looks like they're finally dealing with the Nora Fries thing.
    Just fucking ignore it! It doesn't need retconning/addressing if you act like it didn't happen. Comics these days. *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by exile001; 12-19-2022 at 05:57 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Just fucking ignore it! It doesn't need retconning/addressing if you act like it didn't happen. Comics these days. *rolls eyes*
    I think I remember in the Urban Legends Grifter backup they just casually killed her off before walking back from it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Is there any word on when this run will start being collected in trade?
    The final Tamaki hardcover is due out in April so we're still a ways away.

Extraordinary Member

Detective Comics #1070 Variant by Seb McKinnon

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What a striking variant that is! Wow.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Detective Comics #1067 Preview
    Writer: Ram V
    Artist: Ivan Reis
    Backup Writer: Si Spurrier
    Backup Artist: Hayden Sherman