Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Listened to Ram V’s WB interview and one thing he mentioned is that this opening Nocture arc will be like TLH in that it will feature a bunch of Batman’s Rogues
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    . . . The new team does sound interesting, though I haven't seen anything from Ram V that warrants the level of excitement people seem to have for their work. Rafael Albuquerque on American Vampire was just fantastic.

Also, this first arc sounds pretentious as hell.
    I bought and read a couple issues of Ram V's Catwoman (#29-30 from last year) and wasn't all that impressed by his "Alleytown" nor "The Strays".

Agree that this first arc does sound "pretentious", but then again, I'm tired of all the 5-6 part stories designed for collected editions when I just want good Batman stories that don't try to deconstruct and/or reinvent Batman / Bruce Wayne.
    Why can't we just get good Batman stories that show him, y'know, DETECTING?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Listened to Ram V’s WB interview and one thing he mentioned is that this opening Nocture arc will be like TLH in that it will feature a bunch of Batman’s Rogues
    Huh! I wonder if it'll be the main Rogues or some of the more...out there ones.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why can't we just get good Batman stories that show him, y'know, DETECTING?
    That's the dream, mate. Hopefully that's what V has in store long term.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    That's the dream, mate. Hopefully that's what V has in store long term.
    The "dream" is that DC will eventually publish a run of Batman and/or Detective Comics that I can enjoy, but that hasn't happened since before Rebirth . . .

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

The "dream" is that DC will eventually publish a run of Batman and/or Detective Comics that I can enjoy, but that hasn't happened since before Rebirth . . .
    That's how I felt through the Morrison/Dini years (and basically all of DC post One Year Later, excluding Green Lantern). I may mock a LOT of the decisions made during its time, but the New 52 is the only reason I returned to reading DC Comics.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Cover by Evan Cagle

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Awesome logo and cover there. I love when Batman comics/media lean more into the gothic/gothic romanticism.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Awesome logo and cover there. I love when Batman comics/media lean more into the gothic/gothic romanticism.
    I, on the other hand, have no interest in an "Interview with a Vampire-Batman" vibe.

I, on the other hand, have no interest in an "Interview with a Vampire-Batman" vibe.
    Yeah, we don't all share the same preferences. Though, hypothetically, even if I weren't a big gothic type fan, I'd probably still support this because I think you have to experiment some with genre on the main Bat books now and then. I loved how Morrison really did that some in his runs. And I applaud Ram V (and DC) for boldly going in this direction (and balking some at the title's homogeneity).

Kane & Finger did some gothic stuff early on in Batman comics, Kane's early Batman had a gothic woodcut look, so gothic I think is part of the founding DNA of Batman. (Whereas some other genres aren't even part of that early Batman DNA)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-24-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, we don't all share the same preferences. Though, hypothetically, even if I weren't a big gothic type fan, I'd probably still support this because I think you have to experiment some with genre on the main Bat books now and then. I loved how Morrison really did that some in his runs. And I applaud Ram V (and DC) for boldly going in this direction (and balking some at title's homogeneity).
    I'd prefer they do this gothic-thing as a +/-five issue mini-series or something.
    But then again, DC doesn't normally care what I would prefer

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Cover by Evan Cagle

I like it. It really stands out .

I'd prefer they do this gothic-thing as a +/-five issue mini-series or something.
    I can see this view. But I sometimes think minis run the risk of being overlooked or downplayed (by either fans or DC), or just not being a signal enough that DC is interested in exploring different genres (or directions or topics or etc).

I think it's important for historic storied titles like Detective Comics (or Batman) to say to the reading world: we can & will change things up sometimes, we're serious about that, we will allow top talent to do some different things you might find fresh or interesting (explore areas of Batman underexplored), it's not gonna be "same old, same old" for years and decades

(and anyone familiar with my posts know I'm not saying you do overly-radical things, I definitely am more on the conservative spectrum in my comic book/Batman preferences)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-24-2022 at 12:01 PM.

'Tec changing its identity and premise practically every year .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    'Tec changing its identity and premise practically every year .
    Premises and themes and writers and artists might change, but I myself think this direction, this particular genre emphasis shift feels (so far) a bit different more (a bit more unprecedented) than some others in the recent years.

After Batman Gothic and maybe certain other Mignola stories or Kelley Jones minis or Wagner's Mad Monk, it's difficult to even recount any deeply or true gothic romanticism or italian operatic Batman stories. (Besides 1990's Gothic, I don't believe there even is one other italian opera-ish Batman story)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-24-2022 at 12:21 PM.