Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Not sure how their individual runs will rank, but this is probably strongest Batman/Detective combo we had in more than 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Ram is saying that the first issue sold out and is going to second printing: https://twitter.com/therightram/stat...05195041619969
    That's good to hear .
    Not sure how their individual runs will rank, but this is probably strongest Batman/Detective combo we had in more than 10 years.
    I think when people think of the best Batman/Detective combo, they usually think of Morrison/Dini's post-IC runs.

Although there are probably some nostalgic for the Rebirth King/Tynion era.

Extraordinary Member

Ram is saying that the first issue sold out and is going to second printing: https://twitter.com/therightram/stat...05195041619969
    Cover for the second printing: https://mobile.twitter.com/TotinoTed...16751511719937

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's good to hear .

I think when people think of the best Batman/Detective combo, they usually think of Morrison/Dini's post-IC runs.

Although there are probably some nostalgic for the Rebirth King/Tynion era.
    I am odd, in that I do love KingBats and TynionBats, but not while they were running at the same time. I liked KingBats best after the Wedding, and Tynion ended his run before that, and I definitely didn't think Hill or Robinson or Tomasi during the second part King's run were stellar quality.

I personally really liked the combo of James Tynion and Mariko Tamaki, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I am odd, in that I do love KingBats and TynionBats, but not while they were running at the same time. I liked KingBats best after the Wedding, and Tynion ended his run before that, and I definitely didn't think Hill or Robinson or Tomasi during the second part King's run were stellar quality.

I personally really liked the combo of James Tynion and Mariko Tamaki, though.
    KingBats definitely fell off for me around the wedding, though I never felt like their runs gelled as well together or there was quite the chemistry there could've been there, but that's just me. Obviously everyone else was just fill-in's but I guess Tomasi was there for back-to-basics Bat stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    . . . Although there are probably some nostalgic for the Rebirth King/Tynion era.
    Not me . . . I actually wasn't buying either title after the Detective Comics issue with the first issue of the miserable "Night of the Monster Men" crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not me . . . I actually wasn't buying either title after the Detective Comics issue with the first issue of the miserable "Night of the Monster Men" crossover.
    Night of the Monster Men was not something I enjoyed. But I think the rest of Tynion's run is really good.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

My impression was that Night of the Monster Men was mostly done by Orlando?

Correct. King, Tynion, and Seeley are credited on the books, but I don't think they did most of the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Correct. King, Tynion, and Seeley are credited on the books, but I don't think they did most of the writing.
    Didn't matter to me . . . the Tynion run on Detective Comics just prior to "Night of the Monster Men" was still miserable, with Tynion pushing Tim as the brightest, the smartest, the bestest crimefighter in all of Gotham City . . . it was as if Tynion wanted to father Tim's children!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Didn't matter to me . . . the Tynion run on Detective Comics just prior to "Night of the Monster Men" was still miserable, with Tynion pushing Tim as the brightest, the smartest, the bestest crimefighter in all of Gotham City . . . it was as if Tynion wanted to father Tim's children!
    Tim's great, though! And it was because he knew he wouldn't be able to use Tim for a year or more after that.

I always appreciated Tynion's enthusiasm for Tim if not the execution.

I liked Tynion’s Tec run myself, first Tynion Bat series I enjoyed.

Ram V is off to a good start, it’s funny how both V and Zdarsky are bringing back Morrison concepts in a big way.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    it’s funny how both V and Zdarsky are bringing back Morrison concepts in a big way.
    I will always have mixed feelings on this. I am a huge Morrison fan, and while I can appreciate some when writers honor him or whatever by using some character or group or element from his run, I also note that often the bigger more fundamental aspects of Morrison's Batman (the ones I suspect he wished more writers noticed or appreciated) are left out (though I'm not yet indicting Chip or Ram regarding this point). Like Morrison writing a more zen or spiritually holistic Batman....as Morrison put it in 2009: "I popularized the idea of the healthy, Zen-warrior Batman as an alternative to the slightly-hysterical, obsessed and violent portrayal of the character that had gained ground."
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-10-2022 at 08:22 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I will always have a mixed feelings on this. I am a huge Morrison fan, and while I can appreciate some when writers honor him or whatever by using some character or group or element from his run, I also note that often the bigger more fundamental aspects of Morrison's Batman (the ones I suspect he wished more writers noticed or appreciated) are left out (though I'm not yet indicting Chip or Ram regarding this point). Like Morrison writing a more zen or spiritually holistic Batman....as Morrison put it in 2009: "I popularized the idea of the healthy, Zen-warrior Batman as an alternative to the slightly-hysterical, obsessed and violent portrayal of the character that had gained ground."
    That is a very good point. I will admit, I'm not a big fan of Morrison's writing, partly because despite the attempt to make Batman a "Zen Master" as Morrison called him, ultimately Morrison's run left Batman looking like a complete failure. Which I think was meta commentary on coporate comics, etc etc, but I didn't enjoy it at all. The Zen Master Who Does Lots Of Drugs And Realizes Things About Reality thing is part of my current Unifying Theory of Batman Writers, which is that every writer who handles Bruce for a significant period of time (longer than two years, mostly) ultimately highlights something about their own personality and experience that they find connects to the Batman story. Morison was the Zen Master fighting the Lost Mother (and failing), Snyder was the terrified parent fighting terrorism (and losing), King was the aged warrior/spy looking for love (and failing...mostly), Tynion was the man who loves his city and his family more than anything in the world. I don't have the strongest grasp on what Tamaki wanted to say about Bruce, partly because her run wasn't quite long enough, partly because she deliberately focused on other Batfamily characters, particularly Huntress (perhaps significant? Can't say, but I did really like her run).

Anyway. I am very interested to see what Ram V and Chip Zdarsky have to reveal about themselves in Bruce Wayne.