Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default X-Men # 10 Review & Spoilers Discussion Thread

Hmm, creating the thread for 9 AND 10. What has the world come to?

Anyway we start our issue with X-23 being resurrected. Proteus makes the mistake of assuming all the "Wolverines" have metal claws, so there's that explanation. Rogue takes a shot from the scanner rifle as shown in the preview to give information on Dr Stasis hide-y hole, turns out he's using human tourists as meat-shields which is smart. but it would've been smarter to smash the base before it started opening up for tourism The scan also reveals an adamantium body, which Laura assumes that it could be family of some kind. She sets off to investigate on her own.

Laura sneaks into Phobos via shipment stowaway and quickly begins searching for the adamantium-laced person the scan had detected. Turns out to be Lady Deathstrike, so for once a cover didn't lie! It seems Deatstrike had struck up a deal with Stasis to help cure her of adamantium poisoning, but he decided she was more useful as a test subject instead and double-crossed her, storing her in the facility. Stasis discover Laura and Deathstrike escape while their in the orchid garden and decides to vent them out into space. Rogue is sent out to catch Laura since apparently there is no direct gate to or near Mars, she breaks the sound barrier in her haste. as well as everyone's ear drums on the way there

Wolverine reaffirms she'll stay on the team as long as her claws are used for more heroic purposes. though considering she's on x-terminators...

Nearby, Rogue is being helicopter-parented by Irene who continues to disapprove of Rogue's choice in men and occupation. Rogue gives her a nice little metaphor about seeing icebergs and taking pleasure when the metaphorical krakoan ship hits them. Irene is cowed a bit, but leaves with some information regarding Gamesworld and "a small blind". This turns out to be a reference to Rocket, who Rogue charms into giving her some information regarding their favorite space Las Vegas.

Overall, a fun issue. It does seem like Duggan's setting up for more Irene conflict later down the line. Surprised Lady Deathstrike was allowed free roam after being rescued, but I suppose there are worse monsters on the island already. A solid 7.5/10 for me, wanted a bit more more meat for this story.

I thought it was solid! Based on everything prior to this his Laura-issue could have been real bad, but this was really enjoyable. I would have thought the interactions between Irene and Rogue would be a bit warmer, but that's a nitpick and I really like the ongoing thread building between them.

W/ two issues left of this incarnation of the team, I'm thinking the one big plot thread that'll be addressed is game world. I honestly don't wanna see anyone go. I'd take an additions or two to the team, but I've pretty much liked everyone's focus issues.

Yeah, this was a great issue I thought. Between Immortal, Red and this book it’s a great time for the X-men titles.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post

Anyway we start our issue with X-23 being resurrected. Proteus makes the mistake of assuming all the "Wolverines" have metal claws, so there's that explanation.
    It's about skeleton, not claws. She already used to have adamantium claws (all six) but not skeleton.

As for that I think I'll just paste what I put into X-23 thread. I'm still pleasantly surprised that this issue was actually good!

The good stuff:
    - Wolverine goes on solo mission cause she wants to protect others. Amount of adamantium could mean child or woman, and with how she was treated by Facility and her sisters by Alchemax it's time for the rescue.
    - Laura uses her footclaws! I missed it a little.
    - Her previous encounter and relationship with Lady Deathstrike is acknowledged!
    - She ends a fight quickly, and goes on to rescue LD from space.
    - She's bright enough to quickly call Jean, so she sends Rogue to the rescue, despite how rest of the team made bets how fast she will be spotted. She does think of it while being sucked out to outer space, due to being spotted by Feilong.
    - We get Laura's Gala speech! She only wants to use her claws as the means of helping and protecting others. She also places Synchs worth above her, that would be also in character for her.

The in the middle stuff:
    - we get to know why she has adamantium skeleton. It's both Proteus and Logan fault (personal joke). Proteus is the only one from Five who doesn't know her, so he assumes that everyone in Snikt Family has adamantium skeleton, and he's like "Wait, what, really? Sooo, we do that over again? Guess now..?". How is it Logan fault? Joke is, maybe if he didn't die so often in X-Force Proteus wouldn't automatically use so much adamantium. I think he is used to bringing back Logan, and well... While is still don't like that she was given adamantium it's quite funny story, It gets a pass from me.
    - I don't get that much the shadow of Logan that Duggan places on Laura. I mean, I know it's possible, it was way easier for her, when he was dead, and now that he is back and they both are Wolverines maybe she feels the need of proving something. It just feels out of nowhere, more build-up could help.

This was a solid issue.

I liked the references to the Sisters and Laura thinking it could be one of them (Bellona, maybe) on the station. The reveal of Deathstrike would have hit harder if she wasn't on the cover. Wasn't really sure what her purpose in the story was though. Laura's voice was better this issue and the Rogue scenes were especially good.

Don't understand why it took them this long to find Gameworld. Momentum has been all off on that story and the FF and GOTG have literally been there, it only struck them now to ask?

Personal opinion, Logan is back, Laura is her own character, she should stop wearing the code name Wolverine, and go back to being X23 or if she wants a new name, go ahead, but find her own identity again.

Second, I'm sick of Laura wearing Logan's recycled uniforms, I miss Laura's black or black and gray uniforms and when she wasn't wearing the Wolverine X_x face mask.

Wow. Anyway.

Loved this to bits. I was happy to see Laura and Rogue get their moments. Duggan seems to be teasing out Laura’s development, so I hope this means she’s staying on the team. I loved her moments with Lady Deathstrike and the reference to the time she ended her. Rogue’s moments were fantastic, too. Her exchanges with Gambit and Destiny were both familiar and revealing. Both women kicked ass.

By the way, these moments made my week 🤌🏼:

Also, I must say: Javier Pina is doing wonderful work. Oh, and—

ROCKET! ��
    Last edited by Mercury; 04-13-2022 at 08:48 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    She also places Synchs worth above her, that would be also in character for her.
    Much of that "X is worth more than me, so I'll die if I have to" stuff was resolved a LONG time ago (KYost started breaking it down during X-Force when Laura tried to sacrifice herself over the Legacy Virus, and Elixir stopped her because she IS worth it, and that continued through the Liu solo and Avengers Academy/Arena and ANXM). And honestly, the optics of her doing that are problematic, too. ESPECIALLY as hamfisted and forced as the entire Laura/Synch thing has been in the first place.

From Rogue and Destiny's conversation, I can see Gambit dying in KOX, coming back 'wrong' and Rogue defecting to join Irene and Raven as a consequence. I'd rather not, but that would really make Rogue want to join her mammys in burning the whole thing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    From Rogue and Destiny's conversation, I can see Gambit dying in KOX, coming back 'wrong' and Rogue defecting to join Irene and Raven as a consequence. I'd rather not, but that would really make Rogue want to join her mammys in burning the whole thing down.
    The DRAMA! I would definitely be pouring one out for the Gambit fans, but it'd probably be an entertaining Rogue story. I have a feeling Rogue's been on hold for this big story coming up with Destiny and Mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The DRAMA! I would definitely be pouring one out for the Gambit fans, but it'd probably be an entertaining Rogue story. I have a feeling Rogue's been on hold for this big story coming up with Destiny and Mystique.
    Rogue being all 'fuck this shit I'm outta here' would destabilise all the other X-men and their attitudes towards Krakoa and the new set-up.

Like, it would suck that if now!Gambit gets resurrected into some weird amalgam (and I'd want a retcon/out to get Gambit back to normal at the end of it rather than see years of him learning what old!Gambit was like) but.. it would be a really good story?

Great Rogue moments this issue. Loved it!

I also love all the connections Rogue and Gambit are being shown to have with the cosmic players like Cosmo and Rocket.

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing when I read that conversation. I am getting more and more worried about Gambit now in Knights of X. It is bad enough he has been written so blandly by Howard and been mostly inconsequential for most of the Krakoan era, but now Howard may take him completely off the board for the rest of it. Sigh

Yeah....

I love Gambit and I really wouldn't want that to happen, but I can see this as a possibility and I did too un this issue .

Ando Yes. I want Rogue to join her mommies, but I don't want this to happen to Remy, come on... there must be another way.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Really enjoyable issue.

I think Duggan does a great job, but I do wish we could get more of this group acting as a team. The dynamic between them seem fun, but we haven't gotten too much of it unfortunately.

Loved seeing Yuriko! She looked great.

Fun read. This was one of the top 4 issues of the series to me. i would give it a solid 9/10 comparing it to the other stuff i read today which would be 92 and black panther.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/