Extraordinary Member

Default Most skilled superpowered fighters in the DCU

As someone who's less familiar with how skilled the superpowered fighters are in the DCU, I'm just curious who else is all out there. And for the sake of context, by superpowered I mean characters with superhuman strength above, say, Deathstroke.

Obviously I put Wonder Woman, Artemis, Nubia, Donna and a myriad of other amazons at the very top, but who else?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

In terms of someone with superhuman strength and powers, but who is also skilled in fighting, I'll throw in the Dog of War, the scion of Darkseid, the wielder of the Astro Force and the current reigning King of Apokolips .... OOOORRRIIIIIIOOOONNNN!!!!! (i don't know why, but I turned into Michael Buffer there) But yeah, Orion.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-13-2022 at 01:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In terms of someone with superhuman strength and powers, but who is also skilled in fighting, I'll throw in the Dog of War, the scion of Darkseid, the wielder of the Astro Force and the current reigning King of Apokolips .... OOOORRRIIIIIIOOOONNNN!!!!! (i don't know why, but I turned into Michael Buffer there) But yeah, Orion.
    I don't know why that one didn't occur to me. It clearly should have. That said, Big Barda should be up there, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Wonder Woman is often seen as DC most skilled super-powered fighter, however, Superman is one of DC's most experienced fighter, not to mention high among the most powerful. Don't believe me? There is a 90's Prestige Format one-shot called Foreign Bodies ( a great read in itself, if you can find it, but I'm probably going to spoil one of the books greatest twists), in which a powerless Superman, trapped in Kobra's body, cleans the floor with the Lord Naga-Naga, in BATMAN's body. Kobra is known as one of DC's most skilled martial artists, however, Big ol' Blue proves he has a surprisingly high tolerance for pain, and, while not a martial artist per say, he's quite a proficient boxer and a melee-fighter. However, like my second candidate, Supes is conditioned to always hold back for fear of seriously injuring his adversaries.
    My second choice, as I've already mentioned is incredibly powerful and versatile, however, also amazingly ethic and restrained. J'onn J'onzz, the Martial Manhunter. When choosing to combine his vast strength with his shape-shifting abilities, his phasing, his invisibility, and most of all, his telepathy, there's hardly anyone who can hold a candle (no pun intended) to him.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Forgot about Starfie. She was a trained warrior as well.

Mighty Member

Pandora is at the top of the list. Probably on par with Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman and various Amazons

Starfire

Black Canary

Black Lightning

Big Barda

Mighty Member

Wonder Woman, Hippolyta, Artemis, and so on

Karate Kid, if you want to count him

Black Canary, if you count her Canary cry as strength above Deathstroke

Achilles Warkliller, and in theory Shazam

Big Barda

Orion

Starfire

and if you count Wildstorm characters, the likes of Zealot would probably fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Wonder Woman is often seen as DC most skilled super-powered fighter, however, Superman is one of DC's most experienced fighter, not to mention high among the most powerful. Don't believe me? There is a 90's Prestige Format one-shot called Foreign Bodies ( a great read in itself, if you can find it, but I'm probably going to spoil one of the books greatest twists), in which a powerless Superman, trapped in Kobra's body, cleans the floor with the Lord Naga-Naga, in BATMAN's body. Kobra is known as one of DC's most skilled martial artists, however, Big ol' Blue proves he has a surprisingly high tolerance for pain, and, while not a martial artist per say, he's quite a proficient boxer and a melee-fighter. However, like my second candidate, Supes is conditioned to always hold back for fear of seriously injuring his adversaries.
    My second choice, as I've already mentioned is incredibly powerful and versatile, however, also amazingly ethic and restrained. J'onn J'onzz, the Martial Manhunter. When choosing to combine his vast strength with his shape-shifting abilities, his phasing, his invisibility, and most of all, his telepathy, there's hardly anyone who can hold a candle (no pun intended) to him.

Peace
    So are you saying that DC failed even harder with Wonder Woman than anyone is already aware of, or had that odd comparison in the beginning a different meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wonder Woman and various Amazons

Starfire

Black Canary

Black Lightning

Big Barda
    I know Black Canary is a metahuman, but I thought this was about the powers enhancing the characters' martial arts. And, unless said in some issue I missed, the Canary Cry doesn't affect her abilities. Putting her in the tiers of Batman, Green Arrow, and other such characters.

Black Lightning... I admit, I don't know if his powers enhance his martial arts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I know Black Canary is a metahuman, but I thought this was about the powers enhancing the characters' martial arts. And, unless said in some issue I missed, the Canary Cry doesn't affect her abilities. Putting her in the tiers of Batman, Green Arrow, and other such characters.
    Generally this is the way I look at it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Karate Kid, if you want to count him
    Karate Kid doesn't have super-powers. Everything he can do is the result of pure training. The Legion of Superheroes initially refused to let him join for that reason. They had to make a special ruling to let him in.