Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Had Cavill been allowed to bring the same level of charisma to his Superman as he did in MFU, I can't help but think the DCEU might have played out differently. We would have gotten the MoS sequel we wanted and a good proper build up to the first JL movie and possibly avoided the mess that ensued and has built up relentlessly since the release of BvS.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I can't stand the Snyder films, myself, but I don't blame Cavill for that, especially after seeing him in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.":

Ironically, he's playing a jackass here and still manages to look 100x more like Superman than he did in the Snyder films. I would almost agree that Adams and Cavill's chemistry is a bit off, but I think that's the directing, too - and the script. Because I know Amy Adams has played roles in the past where I could completely see her as Lois.

I agree as to where WB will likely go, I'm just saying that I get where and why Cavill made the moves he made. As for which decision is best for Cavill, that's hard to say - there are certainly pros and cons either direction; if he leaves, that may seal his fate (which is likely sealed regardless, but still) but may also be a power move as you say... but if he's basically out but not fully, and no other ideas pan out for WB (and we know they're horrible at getting Superman ideas off the ground), they may go back to him yet. That doesn't seem likely, but you never know. And who knows what Johnson and his team are saying to Cavill in the meantime.
    Cavill is apparently doing a good job in his Netflix series/ One can be a decent actor and still not be right for a particular role. Tyler's Clark is so much more natural and engaging than Cavill's Clark. Same goes for their performances as Superman. A good actor overcomes a poor director which Cavill did not do. Affleck did in BvS.

The lack of chemistry between Adams and Cavill is perplexing insofar as what was the casting director thinking. Routh and Bosworth did not have a lot of chemistry but Cavill and Adams rank, IMO, as the worst Clark/Superman and Lois pairing of any live-action project.

Johnson's role in all this is, I think, being overblown. He is tweaking fans to get interest in his upcoming film by the Superman/Cavill innuendos. Cavill does the same thing with his fans and his "hints" can be interpreted any way a fan wants. If a Superman film is not financially viable Zaslav is not going to go there no matter what Johnson wants. My bet is that BA will be a huge hit and Shazam 2 will be a hit as well and voila, the BA sequel will be BA vs Shazam. Audiences will be clamoring for it, and it would be a sure bet for WBD.

IIRC MOS was rushed including only a brief search for actors as the family of the creator was suing WB/DC for not utilizing the franchise and WB had to rush a film to counter that argument and the threat the rights could revert to the family. Cavill had auditioned for Fly By a number of years earlier, so they defaulted to him.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-20-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I love the timing of these articles.

"Dwayne Johnson and the Warner Bros theatrical session will serve as Marvel’s opening act earlier in the day, with Black Adam and Shazam: Fury of the Gods getting their much-deserved closeups on the Hall H stage. There’s also buzz that Henry Cavill will put in a surprise appearance to talk up more Superman."

Source: https://deadline.com/2022/07/comic-c...lf-1235072894/

Did Amy Adams fulfill her contract with WB, or did all parties just agree not to do anything further? Adams is a fine actor but I think we definitely need a Lois Lane recast, with or without Cavill.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Had Cavill been allowed to bring the same level of charisma to his Superman as he did in MFU, I can't help but think the DCEU might have played out differently. We would have gotten the MoS sequel we wanted and a good proper build up to the first JL movie and possibly avoided the mess that ensued and has built up relentlessly since the release of BvS.
    That's my thinking, too. Cavill isn't without confidence, charisma and charm; but you'd never know it from the Snyder films apart from a few scenes spread over three movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Cavill is apparently doing a good job in his Netflix series/ One can be a decent actor and still not be right for a particular role. Tyler's Clark is so much more natural and engaging than Cavill's Clark. Same goes for their performances as Superman. A good actor overcomes a poor director which Cavill did not do. Affleck did in BvS.
    I haven't seen "The Witcher," so I can't speak to that... but I disagree when it comes to an actor overcoming a director. If that director is also the editor/part screenwriter/etc, then that vision is getting to the screen whether the actor likes it or not (unless they're a VERY big name). There are a number of movies where outtakes had much more emotion but for whatever reason weren't chosen, as well. I'm not saying it *can't* happen, I'm just saying that it doesn't generally - especially not with someone as hands-on as Snyder.

It should also be noted that Affleck brought on his "Fargo" writer Chris Terrio, and there were several stories talking about Affleck self-directing or co-directing most of the scenes he was in. Affleck had/has the clout to buck the system that Cavill didn't (and still doesn't, frankly) have.

The lack of chemistry between Adams and Cavill is perplexing insofar as what was the casting director thinking. Routh and Bosworth did not have a lot of chemistry but Cavill and Adams rank, IMO, as the worst Clark/Superman and Lois pairing of any live-action project.
    I agree with that, though Routh and Bosworth are tied there for me.

Johnson's role in all this is, I think, being overblown. He is tweaking fans to get interest in his upcoming film by the Superman/Cavill innuendos. Cavill does the same thing with his fans and his "hints" can be interpreted any way a fan wants. If a Superman film is not financially viable Zaslav is not going to go there no matter what Johnson wants. My bet is that BA will be a huge hit and Shazam 2 will be a hit as well and voila, the BA sequel will be BA vs Shazam. Audiences will be clamoring for it, and it would be a sure bet for WBD.
    Johnson has done a video with Cavill and a number of articles/etc have talked about him wanting Cavill as Superman for this. I'm not saying that Zaslav will go for it (likely not) - but that hasn't stopped big name actors from throwing their weight around to try and get what they want. All I'm saying is that we don't know who's saying what to whom behind the scenes, and that may be driving more decisions (or lack thereof) than we realize.

IIRC MOS was rushed including only a brief search for actors as the family of the creator was suing WB/DC for not utilizing the franchise and WB had to rush a film to counter that argument and the threat the rights could revert to the family. Cavill had auditioned for Fly By a number of years earlier, so they defaulted to him.
    That's the first I've heard of this, honestly - but I do know he wasn't the only person considered, so I doubt it was a default situation.
    Last edited by JAK; 07-20-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Did Amy Adams fulfill her contract with WB, or did all parties just agree not to do anything further? Adams is a fine actor but I think we definitely need a Lois Lane recast, with or without Cavill.
    After all these years, her contract is likely expired.

Cavill/Adams is also at the bottom for me. They beat Routh/Boz (can I call them RoBo? I think I will for this post...) because RoBo were supposed to be uneasy with each other the entire time. I'm just glad they didn't come close to being as bad as Marsden/Janssen.

Amy Adams wanted out of the role. She said that between BvS and JL. It obviously had not turned into a starring vehicle for her. There were rumors of friction betwen her and Gadot over billing for BvS. Her 3-film contract ended and she chose to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Cavill/Adams is also at the bottom for me. They beat Routh/Boz (can I call them RoBo? I think I will for this post...) because RoBo were supposed to be uneasy with each other the entire time. I'm just glad they didn't come close to being as bad as Marsden/Janssen.
    It’s painful comparing how lifeless the romance is between the two compared to what Hoechlin and Tulloch have on S&L. Either recast Lois if you’re keeping Cavill, or send Cavill out into space and away from everyone else because he just doesn’t have any chemistry with Adams.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s painful comparing how lifeless the romance is between the two compared to what Hoechlin and Tulloch have on S&L. Either recast Lois if you’re keeping Cavill, or send Cavill out into space and away from everyone else because he just doesn’t have any chemistry with Adams.
    Warlword saga adaptation. Let's go!

LOL! I remember an interview with Snyder about BvS where he said they had to find a way to get rid of Superman (Snyder said "send him into space") so Batman could be set up to organize/found the JL

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    That is exactly what I would do. Put him on Warworld, make the entire movie be about the newly resurrected Superman in a place where everyone surrounding him wants him to kill and he’s finally making a commitment to NOT killing. With Mongul you also have another foe he can fight on even ground with. Superman meets Spartacus would definitely get peoples attention.

LOL! I remember an interview with Snyder about BvS where he said they had to find a way to get rid of Superman (Snyder said "send him into space") so Batman could be set up to organize/found the JL
    Very interesting choice of words from a guy who was supposedly making a five film “Superman arc” (God what a load of bullshit).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That is exactly what I would do. Put him on Warworld, make the entire movie be about the newly resurrected Superman in a place where everyone surrounding him wants him to kill and he’s finally making a commitment to NOT killing. With Mongul you also have another foe he can fight on even ground with. Superman meets Spartacus would definitely get peoples attention.
    I think it would also cost less than a proper SM movie because he would be depowered for most of the film. Less risky for penny-pincher Zaslav.

lol, True. It could maybe happen with a better director, but I'm ready for a Lois with a more Lois-y hair color, and I don't know if keeping her natural color was Amy's idea or Zach's.

Yes!

Very interesting choice of words from a guy who was supposedly making a five film “Superman arc” (God what a load of bullshit).
    Right? I called that bs for what it was after MoS, and again as soon as they announced BvS (especially *how* they did it).

Oh, man... talk about an amazing idea. Heck, finding the Eradicator to give him a piece of his homeworld back could be amazing, too (let's say he loses the other ship or whatever).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Personally, I would go with Up in the Sky, with a few tweaks it could become something like Fury Road on space. Or Taken.