Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Warner Bros. Discovery Faces First Post-Honeymoon Earnings As Layoffs, Streaming Decisions Loom

TL;DR More layoffs are coming, other execs want Zaslav to raise the $3 billion he plans on saving in cuts to $4-5 billion, and no update on whoever will be the new DC head.
    It'll be some business guy no one has ever heard of.

Yeah. The new DC head will prioritize it's billion-dollar tentpoles. Batman will get a solo, WW3 will be expedited, BA vs Shazam could be larger than either franchise separately so a push there. Zaslov wants to revitalize the super side of the DCEU and it appears that, after Batman, Supergirl is their top priority so Supergirl will also be announced. Supergirl and Batman likley both drop in 2024.

Then there is Joker and the Reeve Batman which are moving forward.

With those projects and maybe Flash 2, Blue Beetle and a few surprises WBD's plate will be full for the next 3 years.

On a down note, Super Pets underperformed. That does not speak to Johnson but to the low expectations audiences have for WBD films. That has to be turned around and the new head at a Fandome like event can bring out Ben, Gal, Jason, Sasha and the Rock to emphasize this is a new WBD and this is a new DCEU.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It'll be some business guy no one has ever heard of.
    Who probably has no interest in comics and just sees them as an IP farm.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I just hope that Zaslav’s push to get those cuts doesn’t mean another DC Bloodbath. I don’t know how he’s going to get those billion dollar cuts without cancelling a bunch of films/TV shows.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I just hope that Zaslav’s push to get those cuts doesn’t mean another DC Bloodbath. I don’t know how he’s going to get those billion dollar cuts without cancelling a bunch of films/TV shows.
    Yes and no. There are a lot of DC projects in development and yes many will be canceled. But the core from Batman, to WW, Aquaman, BA, Shazam, Supergirl, Joker will not only be fine but will be doubled down upon. Zaslov wants to revitalize the superverse through Kara so not to worry about that. In terms of cancellations, I wonder if the Flash axing which just happened is part of the culling?

Look for DC comics to drop a lot of titles. Most of their book are not in the top 50/75.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 05:15 PM.

Individual comic book sales don't really matter when we are talking about billions of dollars. Some big projects will have to get cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Individual comic book sales don't really matter when we are talking about billions of dollars. Some big projects will have to get cancelled.
    Wonder Twins was the first. There will definitely be more, anything on Hamada’s slate that wasn’t greenlit (i.e. anything past the movies already announced for 2023) is probably on the chopping block.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Yeah. The new DC head will prioritize it's billion-dollar tentpoles. Batman will get a solo, WW3 will be expedited, BA vs Shazam could be larger than either franchise separately so a push there. Zaslov wants to revitalize the super side of the DCEU and it appears that, after Batman, Supergirl is their top priority so Supergirl will also be announced. Supergirl and Batman likley both drop in 2024.

Then there is Joker and the Reeve Batman which are moving forward.

With those projects and maybe Flash 2, Blue Beetle and a few surprises WBD's plate will be full for the next 3 years.

On a down note, Super Pets underperformed. That does not speak to Johnson but to the low expectations audiences have for WBD films. That has to be turned around and the new head at a Fandome like event can bring out Ben, Gal, Jason, Sasha and the Rock to emphasize this is a new WBD and this is a new DCEU.
    Wait, so now people are saying that Zaslav doesn’t want to revitalize Superman? Was there a new set of rumors?

It seemed like the focus on Supergirl was the plan of the last regime. I’m sure WBD still has plans for her but to completely discard Superman for Supergirl would seem to go against Zaslav’s plans to reestablish the tent poles of the DCU, which apparently included Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m sure WBD still has plans for her but to completely discard Superman for Supergirl would seem to go against Zaslav’s plans to reestablish the tent poles of the DCU, which apparently included Superman.
    LOL - he may be referring to the Abram's project. Superman will get his own pocket universe siloed from the DCEU. New friends and foes. What more could fans ask for?!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wait, so now people are saying that Zaslav doesn’t want to revitalize Superman? Was there a new set of rumors?

It seemed like the focus on Supergirl was the plan of the last regime. I’m sure WBD still has plans for her but to completely discard Superman for Supergirl would seem to go against Zaslav’s plans to reestablish the tent poles of the DCU, which apparently included Superman.
    No there aren’t any new rumors. Nobody knows anything about what the plans are. Jefferey thinks he does and will repeat himself over and over about what he thinks is going to happen but as of right now the status quo remains unchanged. We’re waiting for the new DC head to be chosen and make a decision.

At some point I hope you guys get tired of running in circles talking about the same **** over and over again.

BANNED

LOL - he may be referring to the Abram's project. Superman will get his own pocket universe siloed from the DCEU. New friends and foes. What more could fans ask for?!
    I think he was referring to your comment below:

Zaslov wants to revitalize the superverse through Kara so not to worry about that. In terms of cancellations, I wonder if the Flash axing which just happened is part of the culling?
    You seem to be suggesting that Supergirl is at the core of Zaslov's plans, not Superman as has been widely reported.

Holy **** WB apparently just killed the Batgirl movie. Yeah say goodbye to Hamada’s slate, a massive shake up is coming. No way are they making a Supergirl movie now.

Edit: Ok after the shock wore off I’m going to say we should wait for confirmation first because this is insane if so
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-02-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Holy **** WB apparently just killed the Batgirl movie. Yeah say goodbye to Hamada’s slate, a massive shake up is coming. No way are they making a Supergirl movie now.

Edit: Ok after the shock wore off I’m going to say we should wait for confirmation first because this is insane if so
    Clickbait.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Which is actually fine, as long as that exec recognizes that while *they* see an IP farm, the *reason* it's an IP farm is because the rest of the world sees more than that. The question "How do I milk every last cent out of this IP?" is the question you want them answering with "I do it by finding people who understand the appeal, even if it makes no sense to me, and can see how to properly capture that across media platforms at a (comparatively) reasonable budget." It is not, and is never, "turn this thing into something I personally like and/or turn the IP into our most successful and obvious parallel property (in this case Batman)."

I thought the film was too close to finished to bother closing down now. Kinda surprised by this, but kinda not. The rumors and reports always said Zaslov wanted to course correct the DCEU and wasn't going to entertain pet projects. If this is true, (IF) and if Batgirl was as far along in production as I think it was (well into post?) then he's more serious about it than I gave him credit for. Bet the tax write-off for losing so much $$ on Batgirl will be real nice.

How deep into production is Batgirl, anyway?

Wonder if they'll end up dropping Flash too, lol. Gods I hope so.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-02-2022 at 02:16 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.