Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

There's speculation that Zaslav will more or less reestablish the Snyderverse timeline. Building off of JL. It's been noted that the new Shazam 2 trailer features footage from the Snyder cut and not from Whedon's JL. The old regime would never have allowed that. Batfleck has been heavily pursued by Zaslav with Ben filming new scenes for Aquaman 2 and apparently the Flash. The Aquaman 2 scenes would have required a new Affleck contract. Gadot is reportedly just signed for new DC projects which belie speculation that Zaslav will do a total reboot - as in let Gadot and Mamoa complete their DC runs with their upcoming films and then recast and also not bring back Affleck. The first public announcement from WBD after the merger was noteworthy in its praising of WB films with a specific call-out of BvS. We'll see but signs are pointing to a rehabilitation, more or less, of the Snyderverse.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-10-2022 at 08:33 AM.

I cannot fathom the executive who just buried a $90 million dollar movie for a tax break looking at a universally underperforming series of movies and saying this is what we need to go back to and build off of.

Zaslov wouldn’t have ever even allowed the Snydercut to see the light of day. Let alone bring back the Snyderverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I cannot fathom the executive who just buried a $90 million dollar movie for a tax break looking at a universally underperforming series of movies and saying this is what we need to go back to and build off of.

Zaslov wouldn’t have ever even allowed the Snydercut to see the light of day. Let alone bring back the Snyderverse.
    There is a difference between bringing back the Snyderverse timeline and bringing back Snyder himself. Wonder Woman and Aquaman did great at the box while being set in the snyderverse timeline. Critically praised, both films were done by folks not part of the Snyder "team". Zaslav wants quality and has praised the WW and Aquaman films. There will be new creative teams for the upcoming projects. Batfleck is key. Zaslav wants his JL film and seemingly wants to continue Batman as the foundation upon which to build that team/film - hence the Shazam 2 trailer not just featuring Snyder cut footage but in particular featuring Batfleck front and center.

Zaslav will have to clean up DC Comics which is a disaster though for now his focus is on the DCEU. When the dust settles, Jim Lee will be gone as well as a slew of titles and writers. Readers aren't interested in what DC Comics is putting out. Even some Bat titles are showing weakness. Personally, as much as PKJ is a very good writer, I'm not interested in a universe galivanting almost Hulk like Superman and so I don't buy Action. Sales on Action suck despite some still being in denial about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj6R2im0ZW4

What exactly does "bring back the Snyderverse" mean in this context?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    What exactly does "bring back the Snyderverse" mean in this context?
    You should already know the answer: Batfleck front and center and cameo-ing in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    You should already know the answer: Batfleck front and center and cameo-ing in everything.

There may be more scenarios where the Avengers beat Thanos than where WB makes a good Superman movie this decade.

There may be more scenarios where the Avengers beat Thanos than where WB makes a good Superman movie this decade.
    The only way for WBD to make a good Superman movie is to have Affleck as main star-

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

why can't these guys just hire a good scifi director and with realistic expectations about returns?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

The reality is that Batman is by far DC's most popular and lucrative franchise. Without the Bat books DC Comics would likely fall into 3rd place behind Image in terms of units sold. The old regime knew this as does the new regime. Hence Zaslav is pushing Batfleck. Batman was going to be the center of the Snyderverse and he will be the center of Zaslav's DCEU. It's about the bottom line - Zaslav has to turn things around and (more) Batman is one way he can do so. That and quality films which is also a Zaslav focus. Having Batfleck scenes in Aquaman 2 guarantees a box office boost. As will featuring Batfleck scenes across the other films - similar to what they may be doing with Gadot. Both Batman and Wonder Woman being the JL leaders and tying together the WBD DCEU. That said, beyond Affleck's long planned solo and the JL films, it's not a given he wants to devote the time it would take to do a string of solos. I can see him readily appearing in other DC films more so than a number of Bat films.

As to Cavill, WBD is rumored to want him back and Cavill is rumored to no longer be interested. If those rumors are true, I think WBD may be putting that out to mollify Cavill fans knowing he won't return. It is a safe bet that a Superman film would be used to formally introduce Supergirl to the DCEU. Zaslav is supposedly enthusiastic about Calle and what better way to launch Calle than in a Superman film. I doubt that is the kind of solo Cavill has been demanding all these years hence his rumored no to returning.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-10-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The only way for WBD to make a good Superman movie is to have Affleck as main star-

Is it weird I've never seen that movie?
    Assassinate Putin!

For basketball fans, this all reminds me of the Wilt Chamberlain paradox (WCP). Wilt was by far the best player on the 1966 Philadelphia 76ers team that underachieved in the playoffs. If you looked at Wilt's efficiency, and then compared it to the rest of the team, Wilt's far surpassed the rest of the team. So, one could reasonably argue that the solution in 1967 would be to feature Wilt even more prominently, and his less efficient teammates even less. I mean, the analytics could've justified this.

Well, the 76ers did something else. They instead realized that they didn't just need to feature more Wilt, they needed to make everyone else better. So in 1967, they played through Wilt less and all the less efficient guys more, and the result was everyone on the team was better and they pretty much became the greatest NBA team of all time (up to that point). The WCP, as one YouTuber coined it, was that doing more of the superficially good stuff and less of the superficially bad stuff isn't always the solution to improvement. You have to tackle the real problems head on.

If WBD thinks they can improve things just by doing more and more Batman, they're inviting the WCP. There are a lot of issues to tackle, and really, they have to make everything better. If their band-aid is make sure to work in Batman more then we're all f'd. Wonder Woman (2017) was a good movie, Wonder Woman 1984 was less so. Working in Batman wouldn't make the latter any better. Just focus on making us like as many of the heroes and movies as possible.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 08-10-2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    The reality is that Batman is by far DC's most popular and lucrative franchise. Without the Bat books DC Comics would likely fall into 3rd place behind Image in terms of units sold. The old regime knew this as does the new regime. Hence Zaslav is pushing Batfleck. Batman was going to be the center of the Snyderverse and he will be the center of Zaslav's DCEU. It's about the bottom line - Zaslav has to turn things around and (more) Batman is one way he can do so. That and quality films which is also a Zaslav focus. Having Batfleck scenes in Aquaman 2 guarantees a box office boost. As will featuring Batfleck scenes across the other films - similar to what they may be doing with Gadot. Both Batman and Wonder Woman being the JL leaders and tying together the WBD DCEU. That said, beyond Affleck's long planned solo and the JL films, it's not a given he wants to devote the time it would take to do a string of solos. I can see him readily appearing in other DC films more so than a number of Bat films.

As to Cavill, WBD is rumored to want him back and Cavill is rumored to no longer be interested. If those rumors are true, I think WBD may be putting that out to mollify Cavill fans knowing he won't return. It is a safe bet that a Superman film would be used to formally introduce Supergirl to the DCEU. Zaslav is supposedly enthusiastic about Calle and what better way to launch Calle than in a Superman film. I doubt that is the kind of solo Cavill has been demanding all these years hence his rumored no to returning.
    I'll believe Zaslav wants Batfleck back when I'll see it. So far, Zas is only cancelling projects, and not making any creative decision. This will up to the team with a 10-year plan he is supposed to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Is it weird I've never seen that movie?
    It's Hollywoodland. A movie about George Reeves.

If WBD thinks they can improve things just by doing more and more Batman, they're inviting the WCP. There are a lot of issues to tackle, and really, they have to make everything better. If their band-aid is make sure to work in Batman more then we're all f'd
    Probably time to start handing out lubricant. Because yeah, we're likely well and proper f*cked.

The more DC/WB leans on the Bat, the more they abuse/neglect/mismanage everyone else, the worse the situation will become for them. And what baffles me is that this is some basic bitch business 101 sh*t. Idiot freshmen in college with no real world experience recognize this. Why the ever loving hel do these high-priced executives not recognize what they're doing to themselves and the company?

In the direct market, decades of this crap has now resulted in high profile characters, staples of the industry recognized around the globe, struggling to carry books. In larger media it's resulted in reduced profiles, reduced brand loyalty, and reduced brand trust, all of which means less money in WB's pocket. It's not hard to recognize the difference between matching consumer demand with your most profitable products, and cutting the legs out from everything else in the pursuit of hyping up that most profitable product.

Eh, if DC movies keep going the way they're going, great; that means more money stays in my pocket.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't believe for a second that Affleck is going to be around for the next decade. Jeffrey, no offense brother, but you keep on bringing up random rumors and then just writing paragraphs about them as if they are fact lol. Until today, you were talking about Supergirl being a DCEU fixture like it was a sure thing.