Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Discovery Wants To Revitalize Superman

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/d...ax-1235232185/

The new owners of all things Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are exploring an overhaul of DC Entertainment, multiple sources close to the situation told Variety.

It’s been less than a week since Discovery closed its $43 billion deal for WarnerMedia, joining one of the largest producers of reality programming with one of the most venerable entertainment brands under the new moniker of Warner Bros. Discovery. David Zaslav, the CEO of the combined companies, and top leadership have been toying with the idea of turning DC into its own solidified content vertical, the sources said.

The move would potentially affect DC feature film development in the Warner Bros. Pictures Group, streaming series at Warner Bros. Television, and the creative arm within DC proper — all in an effort to have the disparate elements more closely aligned in order to maximize the value of the superhero stable — one often seen as punching up against Marvel.

Before the merger closed, Zaslav vetted candidates with experience in creating and nurturing blockbuster intellectual property with a goal of potentially finding someone to serve as a creative and strategic czar similar to what Marvel has in Kevin Feige. One of those candidates included Emma Watts, a former top film executive at 20th Century Studios and Paramount, but it does not appear that Watts will take the job. One insider suggested that Zaslav was less interested in finding a creative guru and more eager to hire someone who had the type of business background needed to keep all the different factions at DC working more harmoniously.

Insiders say that Zaslav believes that the success of the merger, one that has left the company highly leveraged, will rest in no small part on unlocking the full potential of the DC Comics universe of characters. Discovery insiders believe that although DC has achieved cinematic success with recent films such as “Aquaman” and “The Batman,” it lacks a coherent creative and brand strategy. Discovery believes that several top-shelf characters such as Superman have been left to languish and need to be revitalized. They also believe that projects like Todd Phillips’ “Joker” are a shining example of how second-billed characters from the DC library can and should be exploited (Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn is another example).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Good news for Superman at least. Well, hopefully at any rate. But I hope it doesn't mean the end to films outside of the DCEU.

Incredible Member

Good news. Potentially, at least. Hopefully, they become reality.

That bit about wanting to do more in gaming paired with them saying they want to give Superman a push hopefully means they will finally green light a Superman game. Also means Zaslov will hopefully bring S&L to HBO Max if they want to pull shows off of the CW, advertise MAWS once we get close to release, green light the Smallville and LoSH animated series, and go in a different direction with Superman on film then what Abrams and Coates had planned since it seems like Zaslov wasn’t impressed with the current Superman plans. Could also result in Cavill coming back but I’m not that enthusiastic about his return either, although if they want to focus on a tightly connected shared universe I think they’ll change the Flash’s ending to allow for Superman to still exist and maybe put him on HBO Max
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The fact Superman was specifically pointed out means they know WB f*cled up

Well this temporarily puts my fears of Clark being erased to rest. Hopefully I get to see him and the new Supergirl fight Brainiac in the future.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    The fact Superman was specifically pointed out means they know WB f*cled up
    Knowing that, and being able to fix it, are two different things. Hopefully now that they've acknowledged the totally obvious to everyone else on the planet stuff, maybe they can finally find someone who can set a new DCEU straight. And IMO they need to make whatever remaining movies they've substantially completed, and then abandon the current DCEU completely, including leaving all the current actors behind and recasting.

You just can't put any of them into a new continuity and expect audiences to go along with it, plus, none of them are really worth saving. Not that some aren't fair at their jobs, but none of them had the resonance of the ten most important MCU characters. They need great actors first, which they've barely had, and also people with huge charisma, again which none of the original actors had.

I mean, good on paper, but I hope they put their money where their mouth is and actually commit to it...and that they have a good idea for revitalizing Supes.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Honeyed words. I'll believe the finished product.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Like I said on the Snyder thread: I really hope they are serious about making it work but I'll believe it when I see it. I hope that the people at Discovery have a better handle on this than WB did. Maybe it needs someone on the outside to get the ball rolling. Cavill still seems down to clown. But the Flash movie sounds like it's created a huge hurtle to overcome. We Superman fans have been burned too many times before.
    Assassinate Putin!

This is something than could go really right or reaaaallly wrong.
    EDIT: Mmm, the word "comics" appears only once, at the side of DC. So, we know where the attention goes then.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 04-14-2022 at 03:41 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This is something than could go really right or reaaaallly wrong.
    From the way some people with inside knowledge have responded it seems like this will be the end of WB letting directors do whatever they want with the characters. Going forward Zaslov wants something with appeal to a wider audience, safer movies in other words. Given Snyder’s failure I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing for Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    From the way some people with inside knowledge have responded it seems like this will be the end of WB letting directors do whatever they want with the characters. Going forward Zaslov wants something with appeal to a wider audience, safer movies in other words. Given Snyder’s failure I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing for Supes.
    That's...disheartening. Going to take a guess that this could spell the end of out-of-universe fare like Joker and R rated films and series like The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Hope not. I just want them to start making Superman movies again, I don't want a MCU 2.0: The DC Edition.

Its just unfortunate where we're in an era right now where the question must be asked: Which Superman? Superman-Superman or goofy alternatives? But I guess even then, we've heard this bluster before minus any tangible results.

Also I'm guessing this won't have much impact on the comics either. Seems like that medium will be left to continue to languish.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's...disheartening. Going to take a guess that this could spell the end of out-of-universe fare like Joker and R rated films and series like The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Hope not. I just want them to start making Superman movies again, I don't want a MCU 2.0: The DC Edition.
    I don't necessarily think so. I think it just applies to the DCEU. Joker was a moneymaker. And there's already a sequel in the works. Peacemaker was incredibly popular. I doubt they'll stop out of continuity projects if they make money.
    Assassinate Putin!