Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I sometimes wonder if Hollywood studios should write character clauses into actors' contracts the way pro sports do with athletes, but the cynical side of me tells me it's unreasonable to expect Hollywood people (actors, directors, producers, etc.) to act to the not-so-high standard the pro sports world has for its high-level personnel.
    Marvel, at least in the early days, reportedly had behavior clauses in their contracts. Maybe that was just for Downy Jr., given his past?

Normally I don't agree with such things; judge a person's work on the quality of the work, not what kind of asshat they are.

But when you're playing a character who's meant to be a hero to little kids? You respect that and keep your nose clean. Nobody wants their child to find out that Flash is actually a douchebag.

As for the pronouns, I had no idea Millar went by "they" either. And honestly, with Millar I find myself not giving a ****; try being a decent human first, and then I'll try to remember the right pronouns. If you can't act respectfully, don't expect to be respected.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Marvel, at least in the early days, reportedly had behavior clauses in their contracts. Maybe that was just for Downy Jr., given his past?

Normally I don't agree with such things; judge a person's work on the quality of the work, not what kind of asshat they are.

But when you're playing a character who's meant to be a hero to little kids? You respect that and keep your nose clean. Nobody wants their child to find out that Flash is actually a douchebag.

As for the pronouns, I had no idea Millar went by "they" either. And honestly, with Millar I find myself not giving a ****; try being a decent human first, and then I'll try to remember the right pronouns. If you can't act respectfully, don't expect to be respected.
    I think also with athletes and celebrities, it feels wrong that a lot of us salaried folk work for companies that would terminate us if we did certain embarrassing things, and it feels pretty rotten when the people in enviable, privileged positions have lower standards of behavior in place with their employments. If I were wearing a company t-shirt and I got filmed doing something terrible in public, I would expect to be told to turn in my laptop, cellphone, and badge.

I don't know if Trevor Bauer deserves to get suspended for 324 games, or even 1 game, but I think it's generally good that MLB has at least warned Bauer (and all its players) that you can't leave behind a trail of emotional damage and think MLB and its fans aren't going to mind.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

For Warner Bros., a Leadership Change, a Polo Lounge Lunch, and Nagging Questions About DC Films’ Future

De Luca, who worked with Emmerich back in the day at New Line, and Abdy will soon join the company, though in a reduced role; they will oversee Warner Bros. and New Line but will not have control over Warner Bros. Animation and DC Films.

But there might be more on the menu. De Luca and Abdy have told people they expect to have input in what DC does in film and television. However, Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav still hopes to find his answer to Kevin Feige, the guru who guided Marvel Studios to big-screen dominance for rival Disney. Zaslav already approached Emma Watts, a veteran Fox and Paramount executive, about the job, but the talks collapsed. Insiders say that no announcement about a DC chief is imminent.

As he navigates the film world, Zaslav has relied extensively on the insight of a constellation of industry players, such as former Disney chief Bob Iger and CAA head Bryan Lourd, polling them about his plans to reshape the studio. He is also in talks with former Disney film chief and Warner Bros. leader Alan Horn about becoming a consultant.

The courtship of Watts means Walter Hamada, the current president of DC Films production, has an uncertain future, even though he remains under contract until 2023. Zaslav believes that DC is an under-utilized asset. He’s frustrated that its cinematic output has been inconsistent and that there hasn’t been sufficient long-term planning in terms of rolling out sequels and follow-ups to popular movies. Supporters of Hamada believe the executive hasn’t received enough credit. Under his leadership, the studio scored massive hits with “Aquaman” and “The Batman,” the latter earning the comic book label’s best reviews since Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight.” They also note that DC has moved more aggressively into multi-platform storytelling, creating spinoff shows out of characters like Peacemaker and Penguin.

Whoever takes over the division will face challenges, including the fate of Superman. Henry Cavill, who played the part in “Man of Steel” and other films, is aging out of the role, and the studio has yet to finalize plans for the Superman film that was being developed with a script from acclaimed author Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Full article: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/w...av-1235286779/

Yep sounds like Hamada has been all but neutered already. Instead it will be his successor who decides what to do with Superman. Like I said, given everyone who endorsed the Abrams/Coates project is going to be out the door, and Zaslav only wants safe blockbusters with the big IPs to help pay off the debt, I think that project will die and the new guy will put together their own project. Maybe they’ll even use Superman to try to lure talent to WBD. Obviously I’m hoping the Coates project gets killed and Cavill doesn’t manage to retake the role, it’s past time to move on from him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep sounds like Hamada has been all but neutered already. Instead it will be his successor who decides what to do with Superman. Like I said, given everyone who endorsed the Abrams/Coates project is going to be out the door, and Zaslav only wants safe blockbusters with the big IPs to help pay off the debt, I think that project will die and the new guy will put together their own project. Maybe they’ll even use Superman to try to lure talent to WBD. Obviously I’m hoping the Coates project gets killed and Cavill doesn’t manage to retake the role, it’s past time to move on from him.
    Deja vu. This is the DCEU since ever: new change of leadership every few years, new plans in motion and projects in development that never fully materialize, Superman's future uncertain... Am I forgetting something?

Are you even joking. I just commented "Having your correct pronouns used is not a reward for good behavior, but a fundamental human right," and what do I come back to find? Someone saying "Having your correct pronouns used is actually a reward for good behavior."

You don't have to know someone's pronouns without being told, but if you mess up, the right thing is just shrug, say 'Oops,' and use the correct ones from then on. Not to claim you just have the right to misgender this person.

Nobody is saying you have to respect Ezra Miller as a good person. At this point, it's incredibly clear they are not. But you wouldn't misgender a cis person for committing a crime! Charles fucking Manson still gets called by his correct pronouns despite being a murderer! It's just that infinitesimal bit of dignity that comes with being a human being!

Ascended, I have read your comments for years on this message board, having lots of respect and even admiration for your viewpoints, your opinions, your general persuasiveness. I don't always agree with you but I often do, and I don't ever recall a time until now when I have not respected your point. Hell, a few times you've praised my own comments and it's given me a small swell of pride, because although you are only a stranger to me, your words have made some kind of minor impact on my mind. But just now, reading this comment, I can only be disappointed in you, because I thought better of you than this. I sincerely hope you re-think your attitude on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Henry Cavill, who played the part in “Man of Steel” and other films, is aging out of the role
    Well, with rumors flying and the future uncertain, who knows what will happen? But I certainly think don't think Cavill is quite that old just yet. They could get another few Superman films out of him, if they want to!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Honestly, there is only one project I am wishing to be killed: Bendis' Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Honestly, there is only one project I am wishing to be killed: Bendis' Legion.
    Eh if Bendis runs a writers room I think he could do a good job. His Wonder Comics line was great.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

This is what I want. The Coates idea was horrible (maybe could work as a Black Label/Elseworlds thing) and Cavill has been out of the role too long. I also believe he's too old and that it's time for a younger (not teenage, early 20s) Superman. Let's see the younger Clark Kent of Birthright/Morrison's AC traveling the world before arriving in Metropolis. No more emo hobo wandering, no more hiding of powers, no more uninspired copy of Batman Begins. Give us a movie that's fun and funny, action-packed and character-driven, inspiring and entertaining. Superman can be all of these things and has been in many media many times before.

Eh if Bendis runs a writers room I think he could do a good job. His Wonder Comics line was great.
    I doubt it. Specially if his reboot is the basis for the animation. And really don't know how it will work if he tries to push Jon as the Superboy for his Legion.
    Consider also than it is Bendis who is writing the pilot, so you can suppose what kind of dialogues there will be.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 06-07-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I doubt it. Specially if his reboot is the basis for the animation.
    I think it is inevitable it will be, you’re not getting a majority white Legion in this day and age. Bendis just pulled the trigger on it before someone else did. Might use older stories for inspiration and older costume designs however.

I would be very happy if the Abrams/Coates project gets scrapped. We really don’t need another deconstruction of the character or “what would happen in the real world if Superman existed?”. Just something fun like Superman vs Brainiac.

And no more origin stories! The Batman had the right idea by skipping over the Waynes getting murdered and all the training montages and just getting right to a younger version of the character who’s already established.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    But just now, reading this comment, I can only be disappointed in you, because I thought better of you than this. I sincerely hope you re-think your attitude on this subject.
    Allow me to take my foot out of my mouth and say; you're totally correct. And I apologize to all. That was not me at my best and I spoke without thinking about what I was saying. As you know, on occasion a whole pile of stupid comes out of my mouth, and this was one of them. My bad, y'all.

For what it's worth, I've always enjoy your comments and insights as well, and respect your opinion. Your one of the posters I consider a metric for my own thoughts; when you like what I'm putting down I figure I'm on the right track, and when we disagree you always have a compelling argument for why, which forces me to reevaluate my own opinions.

Deja vu. This is the DCEU since ever: new change of leadership every few years, new plans in motion and projects in development that never fully materialize, Superman's future uncertain... Am I forgetting something?
    Also this. Zaslav might turn things around where the previous guys didn't, but right now it all looks awfully familiar.

I hope these guys don't lose sight of the smaller IP. Some of the best stuff has come out of Z-list IP, like Peacemaker. By all means, lean heavy on the money makers, but I hope they remember that money makers don't have to be Big Names like Superman and Batman now. Those days are long past, and any character can be a huge hit with the right people behind it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Allow me to take my foot out of my mouth and say; you're totally correct. And I apologize to all. That was not me at my best and I spoke without thinking about what I was saying. As you know, on occasion a whole pile of stupid comes out of my mouth, and this was one of them. My bad, y'all.

For what it's worth, I've always enjoy your comments and insights as well, and respect your opinion. Your one of the posters I consider a metric for my own thoughts; when you like what I'm putting down I figure I'm on the right track, and when we disagree you always have a compelling argument for why, which forces me to reevaluate my own opinions.

Also this. Zaslav might turn things around where the previous guys didn't, but right now it all looks awfully familiar.

I hope these guys don't lose sight of the smaller IP. Some of the best stuff has come out of Z-list IP, like Peacemaker. By all means, lean heavy on the money makers, but I hope they remember that money makers don't have to be Big Names like Superman and Batman now. Those days are long past, and any character can be a huge hit with the right people behind it.
    Would’ve said Zaslav killing Wonder Twins likely denied any chance of that being the case but maybe WT got turned into a series? Could be a chance that they will take chances on more IPs like Peacemaker. And there’s still stuff like James Gunn’s TSS spin-offs (although Hamada green lighting more SS over Cavill/MacQuarrie Superman probably signals that TPTB didn’t see SS as a smaller franchise than Supes at all).

Would’ve said Zaslav killing Wonder Twins likely denied any chance of that being the case but maybe WT got turned into a series? Could be a chance that they will take chances on more IPs like Peacemaker. And there’s still stuff like James Gunn’s TSS spin-offs (although Hamada green lighting more SS over Cavill/MacQuarrie Superman probably signals that TPTB didn’t see SS as a smaller franchise than Supes at all).
    Or it could be that the Wonder Twins project was a trainwreck in the making and that's why they killed it, but they'll still pursue the occasional Z-lister.

We won't know until we know, right?

~ Black Panther.