Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Well, with rumors flying and the future uncertain, who knows what will happen? But I certainly think don't think Cavill is quite that old just yet. They could get another few Superman films out of him, if they want to!
    Yeah, I hate that crap - Keaton is putting on a Batman suit again, for crying out loud, and nobody's talking about Ryan Reynolds (who's 45) being too old for Deadpool when Cavill is 39. I generally love youth culture, but that age stuff drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hope these guys don't lose sight of the smaller IP. Some of the best stuff has come out of Z-list IP, like Peacemaker. By all means, lean heavy on the money makers, but I hope they remember that money makers don't have to be Big Names like Superman and Batman now. Those days are long past, and any character can be a huge hit with the right people behind it.
    Definitely - in fact, I think the smaller IPs have the most potential in *some* ways, partially because of less expectation. I want a Superman project knocked out of the park, but the smaller stuff needs love, too.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

BANNED

I think it's important to make a distinction for those who immediately dismiss the idea of the "origin story" appearing again.

Superman's origin has been handled in several ways in various media for decades. For example, Secret Origin never showed Krypton outside of holographic projections. Byrne's origin began on Krypton only out of necessity; Clark's "coming of age" began with Clark as a football champ.

I agree that we don't need to visit Krypton yet again, or at the very least, we don't need to see Jor-El and Lara sending Kal-El off again. Nor do we need to see Zod or any other Kryptonians. If WBD is truly intent on revitalizing Superman (I very much doubt they really are), they'd recognize that there are portions of Clark Kent and Superman's early career that could serve as great starting points for a reboot.

Begin with Clark studying other cultures as in Birthright, or exploring different career possibilities as in Earth-One, or in a proto-costume already tackling crime and injustice in Metropolis. Start with Clark arriving in Metropolis and adjusting to city life as in Secret Origins.

In Superman The Movie, we see Clark head north and then emerge from the Fortress twelve years later as a fully-formed Superman. In Man of Steel, Clark does a striking impersonation of directionless hobo Bruce Wayne from Batman Begins (they share the same hack writer) and then eventually decides to actually do something risky once his space dad gives him the suit and says some hollow words about "hope" and "being a bridge."

We've never seen Clark traveling the world as in "The Odyssey" or trying to get a job at the Daily Planet only to be rejected and take a job at The Daily Star instead. We've never seen a Superman who can't fly yet or who isn't a strong as he will be in his prime.

This is where I believe a reboot film should start. A younger Superman whose story will appeal to young and old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Allow me to take my foot out of my mouth and say; you're totally correct. And I apologize to all. That was not me at my best and I spoke without thinking about what I was saying. As you know, on occasion a whole pile of stupid comes out of my mouth, and this was one of them. My bad, y'all.

For what it's worth, I've always enjoy your comments and insights as well, and respect your opinion. Your one of the posters I consider a metric for my own thoughts; when you like what I'm putting down I figure I'm on the right track, and when we disagree you always have a compelling argument for why, which forces me to reevaluate my own opinions.
    Thank you so much for this apology. This is about the best response I could possibly have hoped for, and it shows that my usual respect and admiration for you and your viewpoints was not misplaced at all. Plus, your kind words make me feel pretty good about myself! So thank you very much for that as well!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Well WBD just cancelled Abrams Demimonde series, I think we’re seeing the beginning of the end for that relationship.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    This is what I want. The Coates idea was horrible (maybe could work as a Black Label/Elseworlds thing) and Cavill has been out of the role too long. I also believe he's too old and that it's time for a younger (not teenage, early 20s) Superman. Let's see the younger Clark Kent of Birthright/Morrison's AC traveling the world before arriving in Metropolis. No more emo hobo wandering, no more hiding of powers, no more uninspired copy of Batman Begins. Give us a movie that's fun and funny, action-packed and character-driven, inspiring and entertaining. Superman can be all of these things and has been in many media many times before.
    Metropolis is ac superman..There would be no superman without metropolis.It's what gives that superman life.it made that version of superman.Not smallville,not divine orders from the alien father in the sky..etc.Him traveling with world would be besides the point if you ask me..it would just be sightseeing.Even if it has clark traveling the world like waid or early post crisis.He learns to not wear masks or fight the good fight for truth or justice.It's just not gona make superman's fight in metropolis any way personal to Superman.

As for age,i don't really care what age superman is..i would appreciate some passion,energy..stuff like that.. not the holier than thou "I have come to save thee unfortunate souls with my righteous intent".
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Metropolis is ac superman..There would be no superman without metropolis.It's what gives that superman life.it made that version of superman.Not smallville,not divine orders from the alien father in the sky..etc.Him traveling with world would be besides the point if you ask me..it would just be sightseeing.Even if it has clark traveling the world like waid or early post crisis.He learns to not wear masks or fight the good fight for truth or justice.It's just not gona make superman's fight in metropolis any way personal to Superman.

As for age,i don't really care what age superman is..i would appreciate some passion,energy..stuff like that.. not the holier than thou "I have come to save thee unfortunate souls with my righteous intent".
    This is quite the bizarre understanding of Superman's characterization. Since the mid to late 50s (roughly), it's been established that there would be no Superman without Jonathan and Martha Kent. This was true even in the Silver and Bronze Ages; though they die before Clark becomes Superman, he becomes Superboy because they raise him to use his powers to help others. This is long before he even considers Metropolis as a base of operations in any continuity. Clark was the hero he is as Superman long before he's given the name, even in the New 52 version. I think you're confusing setting with character influence and development. Smallville is far more influential on who and what Clark Kent becomes.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well WBD just cancelled Abrams Demimonde series, I think we’re seeing the beginning of the end for that relationship.
    Makes you wonder how long Abrams was just going coast on by without anyone at WB remembering they gave his company almost $300 million?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...t-serve-papers

Gosh, seems like you can't go two weeks before hearing another unpleasant story about Miller. I guess there's still a lot up in the air, but if this is also true then we're way beyond WB not addressing these. I don't expect WB to cancel the Flash movie, but the movie should probably be boycotted or something. I dunno, it's just uncomfortable for me as a viewer to see the franchise building around such a troubled person.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 06-12-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Just when you think Ezra Miller can't get more off the rails...yikes.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up dead or they kill someone or both.

As for the Flash movie....I honestly don't know what to do.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

While Ezra Miller feed TMZ with new controversies every month, the less-controversial Henry Cavill only gets weird headlines like this, lol: https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1536101146858749952

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    While Ezra Miller feed TMZ with new controversies every month, the less-controversial Henry Cavill only gets weird headlines like this, lol: https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1536101146858749952
    George Reeves was pushing 50 and still playing Superman up until his death, so its not without precedent.

Plus you got Tom Cruise nearly 60 and still playing Maverick and Ethan Hunt without missing a step. And not to mention Harrison Ford is still Indiana Jones at his age. A 40 -50 year old actor playing Superman should not turn off the audience.

Superman does not need to be always 20 -30 ish. Cavill hasn't aged all that much since Man of Steel and as long as he keeps himself in shape he could easily play Superman for another decade.

Of course the issue isn't really age so much as whether or not audiences are willing to give Cavill another shot to play more or less a different version of the character or would it be better to start from scratch with a new actor. On that I'm split. I really want Cavill to get at least one more solo Superman movie even if its a stand alone. But then again a fresh start isn't the worst idea. It's been a decade since MOS and nearly 5 years since Jostice League. Perhaps its just time to leave the entire DCEU behind and start over with a stand alone Superman franchise again.

At this point though with Ezra Miller and their controversies, I wouldn't put it past WB to rehire Cavill for a Superman stand alone if only to distract from the bad press surrounding The Flash. After all its been said the only reason MAN OF STEEL was made was to secure the film rights to Superman amid the copyright battle with the Siegel heirs that was going on then.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 06-13-2022 at 06:02 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    George Reeves was pushing 50 and still playing Superman up until his death, so its not without precedent.

Plus you got Tom Cruise nearly 60 and still playing Maverick and Ethan Hunt without missing a step. And not to mention Harrison Ford is still Indiana Jones at his age. A 40 -50 year old actor playing Superman should not turn off the audience.

Superman does not need to be always 20 -30 ish. Cavill hasn't aged all that much since Man of Steel and as long as he keeps himself in shape he could easily play Superman for another decade.

Of course the issue isn't really age so much as whether or not audiences are willing to give Cavill another shot to play more or less a different version of the character or would it be better to start from scratch with a new actor. On that I'm split. I really want Cavill to get at least one more solo Superman movie even if its a stand alone. But then again a fresh start isn't the worst idea. It's been a decade since MOS and nearly 5 years since Jostice League. Perhaps its just time to leave the entire DCEU behind and start over with a stand alone Superman franchise again.

At this point though with Ezra Miller and their controversies, I wouldn't put it past WB to rehire Cavill for a Superman stand alone if only to distract from the bad press surrounding The Flash. After all its been said the only reason MAN OF STEEL was made was to secure the film rights to Superman amid the copyright battle with the Siegel heirs that was going on then.
    I agree on your points about age.

Ideally, WBD should start from scratch with the DCEU as a whole or build a new DCEU in the same universe as Battinson. But the current projects (starting with TSS onward) have a MCU level of connectivity/world-building and WBD couldn't easily drop them all at once anymore. It would've been easier after the Josstice League's fallout when they were left with 1 or 2 standalone movies x year.

WBD wants also to catch up with Marvel and starting from scratch isn't a valid option if you are already behind.

It's a tricky situation.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

How old was Reeve when Superman 4 came out? Mid-thirties? And people were still wondering if he would do a Death of Superman movie before his accident. RDJ was in his late forties when he did Iron Man, wasn't he? As for Miller, IDK what Warner's options are. Scrap the movie and sit down with the girl who played Supergirl and promise her another gig? Flash is supposed to be a tentpole movie that spins off future movies. Reboot seems the best option here.
    Assassinate Putin!

DCEU insists on a young Superman while the comics insists upon a middle-aged one. Go figure.

EDIT: I mean, it makes sense that the comics swings older because they want to include all this Post-Crisis stuff as part of the character's history. I suppose the comment I was trying to make is that for the movies I'm OK with older and for the comics I probably prefer a younger Supes.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 06-13-2022 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    DCEU insists on a young Superman while the comics insists upon a middle-aged one. Go figure.
    Last I checked, the middle-aged Superman was sent in space to die and be replaced with a 17 years old youngster.