Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    They are just words so far. But it feels already better than some years ago (around BvS release), I think it was Roven saying something like a SM movie is not a priority, we have Cyborg and these other movies on our slate up to 2020 that are our priority now.
    Grim amusement given how that ended up.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    They are just words so far. But it feels already better than some years ago (around BvS release), I think it was Roven saying something like a SM movie is not a priority, we have Cyborg and these other movies on our slate up to 2020 that are our priority now.
    Boy how things change .

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Boy how things change .
    Cavill's Superman got the end short of the stick after WB decided to build a shared universe to follow Marvel's success with the first Avengers movie.

When MoS was filming (2011) and it was only intended as the beginning of a SM trilogy, WB was developing an unconnected JL project that should've had a different SM (not unliking the previous JL Mortal project). It was Snyder suggesting BM as antagonist for a MoS sequel and WB looking at what Marvel was doing that shifted the focus from developing a SM trilogy to build a shared universe and have JL in the same universe as MoS. (The knightmare stuff was lifted from the other JL screenplay, btw)

On one hand you had Snyder wanting to tell his story with SM dead or brainwashed, on the other hand WB was prioritizing to introduce more characters and catch up with Marvel.

Blame the MCU to give them the idea.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I haven't seen The Batman yet but my understanding is that Metropolis is at least referenced. So the door is at least cracked for Superman to enter that universe. As far as the current DCEU, the Flash movie kind of throws a wrench in things. Discovery will have to work around it no matter what they do going forward.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I haven't seen The Batman yet but my understanding is that Metropolis is at least referenced. So the door is at least cracked for Superman to enter that universe.
    I'd really rather he not. Instead of putting Superman into Batman's thing, I want someone to take The Batman or Nolanverse approach to Superman again - give him his own universe, his own reality free of Batman and everyone else. It's clearly a process that works. I want what they try with Batman to be done with Superman. He can support his own universe. Keep him away from an earth already claimed by the Bat, we don't need to invite a crossover that risks lessening him to prop up the Dark Knight.

BANNED

although I know it is impossible, I would like a trilogy centered on a young Clark, a trilogy that shows us the origin of Superman, something similar to the first action comic new 52 story, since I know that a Superman trilogy is impossible without Superman, at least I hope that the first film focuses on the young Clark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd really rather he not. Instead of putting Superman into Batman's thing, I want someone to take The Batman or Nolanverse approach to Superman again - give him his own universe, his own reality free of Batman and everyone else. It's clearly a process that works. I want what they try with Batman to be done with Superman. He can support his own universe. Keep him away from an earth already claimed by the Bat, we don't need to invite a crossover that risks lessening him to prop up the Dark Knight.
    With all the mistreatment that Superman suffers when he shares the stage with Batman, it seemed incredible to me that Superman fans were excited about BvS, I think with a little thought the role of Superman was very obvious, and it was a movie that was part of the Superman universe, imagine what would happen if they share the stage in a Batman universe, which is also a success in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    although I know it is impossible, I would like a trilogy centered on a young Clark, a trilogy that shows us the origin of Superman, something similar to the first action comic new 52 story, since I know that a Superman trilogy is impossible without Superman, at least I hope that the first film focuses on the young Clark.
    So a Home trilogy but Superman instead of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    With all the mistreatment that Superman suffers when he shares the stage with Batman, it seemed incredible to me that Superman fans were excited about BvS, I think with a little thought the role of Superman was very obvious, and it was a movie that was part of the Superman universe, imagine what would happen if they share the stage in a Batman universe, which is also a success in every way.
    Obviously I can’t speak to the reaction on here but my reaction was “goddamnit they’re really going to have Batman beat the **** out of him?” There was a teeny bit of excitement over seeing Supes meet Bats for the first time, but as soon as Eisenberg got casted for Lex I began seriously questioning what was going on, and then when the trailer with all the troops kneeling before Supes and Batman using a freaking gun dropped I was certain we were going to get a full on disaster.

Funny because while I didn’t think MoS was perfect, I thought it did set us up for a potentially great sequel, especially if they leaned into Lex being driven by all the destruction Superman wrecked in the fight. Lex fronting as being like the audience in hating Supes for not doing a better job protecting people, while secretly hating him for making Lex feel inferior sounded like an amazing take. Unfortunately that’s not what they went with.

At this point I’d be cool never seeing Superman and Batman interact with each other in the same universe again. Completely over that “friendship” I’d rather see him team up with Kara, Steel, Shazam, and Aquaman.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-15-2022 at 08:38 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Superman's problem isn't opportunity. Supes has had more chances to shine than any character with the exception of Batman. His problem is execution. Everything they do with Kal just dates absurdly fast in the end. It's a franchise with momentum problems. Take for example Byrne he went through this whole 1980's reboot trying to create a more grounded Superman getting rid of the Silver Age 'goofiness' but here in 2022 the highest selling comic book in the world has gone fullblown Silver Age Superman silliness. Imagine a world where Superman had stuck to a lot of his silver age goofiness.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

That's whats been so infuriating. For as long as it is taking a freaking Flash Movie off the ground and Into the theaters. We could have had a full Superman trilogy with Cavill, Amy Adams etc AND Cavill headlining two JL movies. . MOS didn't make a billion dollars, but 650 million plus was a good start and there was enough momentum there to do a proper sequel and even a threequel in fairly short order and a pretty strong foundation to build a cinematic universe. But no...they had to rush things to catch up to Marvel and they fell on their face hard....and still no Flash or Cyborg film in 2022.

WBs biggest issue is regarding DC properties and Superman have long boiled down to impatience and a lack of willingness to put the effort in to A: to acknowledge the studio's (and to a lesser extent DC itself ) role in letting the Superman property down and B: putting in the hard work and effort to fix it. After like a downward trend of over 30 years in cinemas, there was no conceivable way a Superman movie was going to do Dark Knight level money in 2013. Yet that was WB'S expectation and when it didn't instead of moving ahead with a sequel they decided to change course and rush into JL and a cinematic universe with Superman suddenly an afterthought.

For a DCEU to work, Superman has to work. Thats the bottom line. No Superman and you get no universe IMO.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-16-2022 at 04:57 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Obviously I can’t speak to the reaction on here but my reaction was “goddamnit they’re really going to have Batman beat the **** out of him?” There was a teeny bit of excitement over seeing Supes meet Bats for the first time, but as soon as Eisenberg got casted for Lex I began seriously questioning what was going on, and then when the trailer with all the troops kneeling before Supes and Batman using a freaking gun dropped I was certain we were going to get a full on disaster.

Funny because while I didn’t think MoS was perfect, I thought it did set us up for a potentially great sequel, especially if they leaned into Lex being driven by all the destruction Superman wrecked in the fight. Lex fronting as being like the audience in hating Supes for not doing a better job protecting people, while secretly hating him for making Lex feel inferior sounded like an amazing take. Unfortunately that’s not what they went with.

At this point I’d be cool never seeing Superman and Batman interact with each other in the same universe again. Completely over that “friendship” I’d rather see him team up with Kara, Steel, Shazam, and Aquaman.
    Um, that is what they went with. Maybe not executed the way some wanted, but that was Lex's role in it.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-16-2022 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    That's whats been so infuriating. For as long as it is taking a freaking Flash Movie off the ground and Into the theaters. We could have had a full Superman trilogy with Cavill, Amy Adams etc AND Cavill headlining two JL movies. . MOS didn't make a billion dollars, but 650 million plus was a good start and there was enough momentum there to do a proper sequel and even a threequel in fairly short order and a pretty strong foundation to build a cinematic universe. But no...they had to rush things to catch up to Marvel and they fell on their face hard....and still no Flash or Cyborg film in 2022.

WBs biggest issue is regarding DC properties and Superman have long boiled down to impatience and a lack of willingness to put the effort in to A: to acknowledge the studio's (and to a lesser extent DC itself ) role in letting the Superman property down and B: putting in the hard work and effort to fix it. After like a downward trend of over 30 years in cinemas, there was no conceivable way a Superman movie was going to do Dark Knight level money in 2013. Yet that was WB'S expectation and when it didn't instead of moving ahead with a sequel they decided to change course and rush into JL and a cinematic universe with Superman suddenly an afterthought.

For a DCEU to work, Superman has to work. Thats the bottom line. No Superman and you get no universe IMO.
    You know I always believe that the DCEU didn't work because the screwed over Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It's great that they are making superman a priority.But having said that,i have superpets coming up.Coates movie will hopefully be something to look forward too as well.So i am happy.Finally,also getting to see black adam as bonus.Overall i am ok.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

Worst case scenario: they go through with Coates and Abrams' blackwashed Superman.

Best case scenario: they keep the Jordan Val-Zod project and then reboot Superman on film. Get someone who has expressed their love for Superman and superheroes to take over and then give us a Superman we've never seen on film by drawing on elements unknown to the general audience but well-known to comic book fans.

Byrne's MoS: the Kents are still alive, the S-shield isn't a Kryptonian symbol, Clark doesn't learn he's from Krypton until he's already Superman.

The Odyssey/Birthright: Clark travels the world before heading to Metropolis, learns about various cultures while writing, and has a history with Luthor. (While this is known to TV audiences from Smallville, it's never been done on the big screen)

Secret Origin: Clark operates (in or out of uniform) secretly to help people while still in high school, Superman is welcomed by the general public but the military is a problem from the beginning.

New 52: Clark works at the Daily Star after failing to get a job at the Daily Planet, he's friends with a slightly-younger Jimmy Olsen, Luthor is an emerging presence who helps the military to try and capture Superman (bullet train sequence included) and Superman faces the Collector of Worlds, requiring him to launch himself into space via flatbed truck and in the process, discover he has the ability to fly.

For director, I'd go with Brad Bird. He loves Superman and superhero storytelling and has been largely wasted at WB other than Mission Impossible films.

Cast an unknown as Clark and cast veterans as the Kents, Perry White, Lois, etc.