Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Superman doesn't need a homerun, he just needs a good movie. Who cares if it makes a billion dollars and all that. Just needs to be good.
    Aim for the stars is what i believe and expect realistically.Superman should be aiming for a hit. The chances of it being good are greater.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Aim for the stars is what i believe and expect realistically.Superman should be aiming for a hit. The chances of it being good are greater.
    You can aim for the stars without needing a superstar.

You can aim for the stars without needing a superstar.
    You can..But,Superstars makes odds better.

If not a superstar, Chances of getting a good performance is greater from Someone with a resume atleast.Some jackpot like a robert downey jr for ironman happening for superman would be welcome...

That's...disheartening. Going to take a guess that this could spell the end of out-of-universe fare like Joker and R rated films and series like The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Hope not. I just want them to start making Superman movies again, I don't want a MCU 2.0: The DC Edition.
    Agreed 100%, we got that with JL theatrical cut, no thanks. I want DC to be it's own thing, shared universe or not.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I don't want shared universe thing either.. make a superman universe..A solid story with a start, middle and end

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The Superman cinematic brand is so damaged now, there is no realistic way a Superman movie is going to be a billion dollar smash hit out of the gate. That is unless you have an out of the Blue Richard Donner/Chris Reeve level of film that immediately catches the pop culture wave and becomes a phenomenon...and that would require a miracle. The conditions around Superman the movie was indeed a miracle in 1978. Right place and time combined with the ideal director and writer Team, ambitious producers and a lead who was born to play the role, all released during the birth of the blockbuster era in the wake of Star Wars. Conditions that are not likely to happen again.

I think the most realistic bar is a Batman Begins sized hit where word of mouth will fuel good legs and a decent box office and provide a base to build on. People forget that Batman Begins made less money than Superman Returns but word of mouth was extremely good for Begins and it did huge sales on home media setting the stage for the huge success of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Superman needs to build similar momentum. He needs just a solid film or two creatively to gain back trust of the movie going public. Its only then that Warners may have a Superman film franchise that can reach those heights.

MOS could have been that had Warners just played their cards right and been more patient...but we know what happened there. Warners expected the movie to make 1 billion straight away and when it didn't they scrambled to change plans again and Superman gets treated like old news once again.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-18-2022 at 06:26 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

So the new Thor movie trailer came out. Do you think Superman would benefit with the stylish take Ragnarok and Love and Thunder took?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    So the new Thor movie trailer came out. Do you think Superman would benefit with the stylish take Ragnarok and Love and Thunder took?
    Probably. Thor Ragnarok found a way to inject a lot of much-needed personality into the character. I like Cavill, but I don't have a strong argument against critics' complaint that his Superman is stiff and somewhat unlikable.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Probably. Thor Ragnarok found a way to inject a lot of much-needed personality into the character. I like Cavill, but I don't have a strong argument against critics' complaint that his Superman is stiff and somewhat unlikable.
    I agree. So if we keep Cavill we need a much needed Thor Ragnarok to inject into the Superman franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You can..But,Superstars makes odds better.

If not a superstar, Chances of getting a good performance is greater from Someone with a resume atleast.Some jackpot like a robert downey jr for ironman happening for superman would be welcome...
    That's my preference, kind of. I want someone with acting experience, but much less fame than RDJ had. Think some small tv and indie credits for the most part, but is just talented enough to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Agreed 100%, we got that with JL theatrical cut, no thanks. I want DC to be it's own thing, shared universe or not.
    I'm not against the shared universe, and I know better than to think there ever won't be one again. But I want outside universe films to exist too. Think Elseworlds. We got Joker and The Batman while getting Shazam and Aquaman. That's what I like. Like maybe one out of universe film for every three in universe. Something like that would be ideal I think.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I think the most realistic bar is a Batman Begins sized hit where word of mouth will fuel good legs and a decent box office and provide a base to build on. People forget that Batman Begins made less money than Superman Returns but word of mouth was extremely good for Begins and it did huge sales on home media setting the stage for the huge success of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Superman needs to build similar momentum. He needs just a solid film or two creatively to gain back trust of the movie going public. Its only then that Warners may have a Superman film franchise that can reach those heights.
    This 100%.

Superman with the Legion of Superheroes would be perfect for that kind of film style.

I agree. So if we keep Cavill we need a much needed Thor Ragnarok to inject into the Superman franchise.
    Or even if we don't keep Cavill.

True the legion might work but for a third movie or something

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I will be completely honest....I think Thor RAGNAROK is way overrated. I mean...its not a bad movie by any means but I do think the humor was overdone and I felt that they reduced Thor to StarLord 2.0. However compared to the bore Thor The Dark World was and given it opened opposite Jostice League, when compared to those films RAGNAROK looked like a masterpiece. But I still feel the first THOR movie was the only one of that trilogy to get Thor and his side of thing mostly right.

That being said, something big and colorful and cosmic in nature would fit Superman well. However something of that scale would not work for a first film in a new Superman series. Primarily because they need to reestablish the character and do it on a more modest budget than Superman Returns and MOS. A big cosmic adventure right out of the gate would be very expensive and while its something I personally wouldn't mind seeing, an ambitious underperformer could cut the franchise off at the knees before it has a chance to begin. Especially if we are talking a new franchise with a new actor. Presuming Cavill isn't coming back of course.

Now...if Cavill returns and a soft reboot ends up being the method, something more ambitious like this might work if the budget is kept within reason.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-18-2022 at 04:30 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Superman cinematic brand is so damaged now, there is no realistic way a Superman movie is going to be a billion dollar smash hit out of the gate. That is unless you have an out of the Blue Richard Donner/Chris Reeve level of film that immediately catches the pop culture wave and becomes a phenomenon...and that would require a miracle. The conditions around Superman the movie was indeed a miracle in 1978. Right place and time combined with the ideal director and writer Team, ambitious producers and a lead who was born to play the role, all released during the birth of the blockbuster era in the wake of Star Wars. Conditions that are not likely to happen again.

MOS could have been that had Warners just played their cards right and been more patient...but we know what happened there. Warners expected the movie to make 1 billion straight away and when it didn't they scrambled to change plans again and Superman gets treated like old news once again.
    I think "BB" is a good example that a movie need not be a mega-hit to give people the feeling that it was. Even if the goal was for more people to see it, as long as most of those who did see it liked it, it feels like a mega hit. Not to deny that the trilogy, as a whole, was a mega success.

Even if the bad feelings towards MoS and BvS cause less people to see a Superman movie, it can still work so long as those who see it really like it- and, at this point, it would not be that hard to do. The competition is not Superman '78 but BvS.

S '78 truly was a miracle of the right director and the right actor at the right time and place when nobody had seen a great, big budget superhero movie. All the more amazing considering the water drag from the Salkinds.

I didn't even hate MoS or BvS. I thought there were some really good parts. But, had there never been an MCU, I think they would have still been considered too morbid for Superman though pretty solid for Batman.
    Power with Girl is better.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Eh, not always - the animated stuff has had plenty of misfired too. A lot of their adaptations have been some of the worst. At least on the movie side. The series tend to do much better.
    I was mostly thinking about TV series in how they're usually more closer to the comics. I feel the movies, often being direct or near adaptation of the comics are a different discussion.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 04-18-2022 at 06:42 PM.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Funny thing is, aside from the last two Reeves's films, Superman is usually a big hit. Both Returns and MoS did great at the box office (just focusing on the box office, nothing else). It's clear the audience love Superman, but WB/DC didn't deliver on what the audience want. It's just the old regime asked too much for Superman. Yes, he can deliver, but he need to be built up right to do it.