Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Quite honestly, they either need to go big or go home. The mentality surrounding Superman the last 30-40 years has been about how much you can trim off so that the character can be more relateable or more grounded. It's high time to leave that sort of the thinking in the past where it belongs. First order of business needs to be making sure the general public gets Superman as he's suppose to be with all the fixings. Super child hoods, The Legion, regular time travel shenanigans, Luthor with his extended family, everything and anyone who says that stuff is too silly or doesn't work needs to be shown the door. Frankly at this point other franchises have shown that lots of Superman's old silver age and golden age idea's work just fine, and if anything time has shown the 1980's yuppie from Mayberry angle is the truly dated concept here.
    This is exactly the approach we need. It won't ever happen, but I'd love to see All-Star adapted. Big concept, stuff we've never seen in film, with a focus on revealing Superman's character. The ending would have to be modified or left out completely since this film would (hopefully) be the groundwork for more Superman films and maybe a new DCEU or new corner of the "Worlds of DC."

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I feel like if Aquaman can become a $1 billion movie on its first try, anything is possible for more popular heroes.

That said, because of COVID, I don't think The Batman will hit $1 billion. It's already out on digital and it's still below $800 M.

Aquaman came out around the end of the year where his only major competition was Mary Poppin: Returns and Into The Spider-verse. Does that guarantee success? No, but it sure did help not having competition. Do you think Aquaman would've did as good against a MCU movie? Where both Man of Steel BVS were up against better established films.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Quite honestly, they either need to go big or go home. The mentality surrounding Superman the last 30-40 years has been about how much you can trim off so that the character can be more relateable or more grounded. It's high time to leave that sort of the thinking in the past where it belongs. First order of business needs to be making sure the general public gets Superman as he's suppose to be with all the fixings. Super child hoods, The Legion, regular time travel shenanigans, Luthor with his extended family, everything and anyone who says that stuff is too silly or doesn't work needs to be shown the door. Frankly at this point other franchises have shown that lots of Superman's old silver age and golden age idea's work just fine, and if anything time has shown the 1980's yuppie from Mayberry angle is the truly dated concept here.
    Especially the "American Human" bit.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I feel like if Aquaman can become a $1 billion movie on its first try, anything is possible for more popular heroes.

That said, because of COVID, I don't think The Batman will hit $1 billion. It's already out on digital and it's still below $800 M.
    Im not entirely sure The Batman would hit a Billion even without Covid. Its not the popcorn spectacle the Nolan films were and its more slow burn detective noir feel isn't for everyone. I personally loved it but a couple family members I went with on opening weekend didn't care for it and felt it was too dark and too slow, and they loved the Nolan films. Make of that what you will.

I do think it would probably be doing a little better. Probably in the neighborhood of 800-900 million.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Aquaman came out around the end of the year where his only major competition was Mary Poppin: Returns and Into The Spider-verse. Does that guarantee success? No, but it sure did help not having competition. Do you think Aquaman would've did as good against a MCU movie? Where both Man of Steel BVS were up against better established films.
    BVS failed to meet $1 billion because of horrible word of mouth. It opened to a huge weekend, but then underperformed every subsequent weekend. In the picture below, the shaded area is where the movie was projected to finish based on it's opening weekend, with the lower end being the 5th percentile projection and the upper end the 95th percentile. It came up way short.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hehehe. I remember when Man of Steel trailer first came out, my friends and I call it a Discovery channel because of all the nature and fishing and Henry looking like a wildlife explorer

Funny how things turn out

Incredible Member

I also think studios should learn not to panick as easily as they do. MoS had flaws, but they could have been easily corrected and its box office was fine. It also had a supportive fanbase even if it also had a hatedom. Doubling down on the darkness and putting Batman in the sequel was not the solution, much less cutting a 3 hour film into a 2:30 hour alsmot incomprehensible Frankenstein (though admittedly, I also blame Snyder and his writers for not being able to write a film that could stick to the format).

BVS failed to meet $1 billion because of horrible word of mouth. It opened to a huge weekend, but then underperformed every subsequent weekend. In the picture below, the shaded area is where the movie was projected to finish based on it's opening weekend, with the lower end being the 5th percentile projection and the upper end the 95th percentile. It came up way short.
    Everybody was excited to see Batman and Superman on screen for the first time. But, the film isn't what the general audience wanted. I'll add to my previous comment, Aquaman wasn't dark like BvS, which helped the film performance. I guess we can see, people don't want dark for certain superheroes, especially Superman. It works for Batman and characters like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I also think studios should learn not to panick as easily as they do. MoS had flaws, but they could have been easily corrected and its box office was fine. It also had a supportive fanbase even if it also had a hatedom. Doubling down on the darkness and putting Batman in the sequel was not the solution, much less cutting a 3 hour film into a 2:30 hour alsmot incomprehensible Frankenstein (though admittedly, I also blame Snyder and his writers for not being able to write a film that could stick to the format).
    That actually was what killed the DCEU.

I've always just assumed that some exec at WB failed to tip his waitress, who turned out to be a witch, and in retribution she cursed the entire production cycle from BvS to JL and beyond. Logically, nothing else makes sense.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

I would love something with more of a Spielberg tone. A sense of awe and wonder.

I also don`t think a more character centric approach would be bad. Start off with him still in jeans/homemade costume. He`s young, like just out of college and its his first year in Metropolis. I would love a character centric approach. But that does not necessarily mean angsty. Snyder "tried" a more human Clark. But human does not equate to depressed, boring, angsty and monotone.

It should be story about overcoming the odds, anything is possible.

it would also be cool to do a Superman and the Legion movie. Have them accidently grab him young and by the end of the movie you have two franchises.

I just want villains that aren’t Zod and Lex to take center stage for once. Is that too much to ask?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've always just assumed that some exec at WB failed to tip his waitress, who turned out to be a witch, and in retribution she cursed the entire production cycle from BvS to JL and beyond. Logically, nothing else makes sense.
    I second this.
    Assassinate Putin!

Didn't want to make a brand new DCEU appreciation thread in this forum, but I thought it'd be neat to share a video of Corridor Crew's (VFX artists) take on the special effects of Man of Steel. Spoiler: they're complimentary.

Hope the next Superman movie can match the quality of VFX of Man of Steel.

Have they said anything?