Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

While I was never super excited for Coates' take, I don't know how I feel about an idea of killing anything not part of a shared verse. Marvel has really bled that concept for all its worth by now, and while it sucks DC missed that initial boat, they missed it all the same. I'm not saying there's no reason to not still try and create one, but I don't think complete and utter focus should be on that at the expense of stand-alone projects, when stand-alone projects is pretty much the only place they've remotely shined. Hard to see how they're not worth the money when to date those have made them the most.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Wouldn't they cancel The Batman sequel too?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Wouldn't they cancel The Batman sequel too?
    No? The Batman made money, and Zaslov praised it. Batman being a special case is nothing new, and Batffleck isn’t coming back so Battison is the young Batman going forward.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No? The Batman made money, and Zaslov praised it. Batman being a special case is nothing new, and Batffleck isn’t coming back so Battison is the young Batman going forward.
    Then I think it's the best way to go foward with Superman as well. A reboot and a younger actor. Cavill time came and went and was wasted by WB.

If this means the Abrams/Coates Superman movie gets cancelled, I’m fine with it.

Yes, reboot Superman but skip the origin story and give him his own sub-universe like Batman. That would be my dream at least

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

WBD wants what Marvel has, an unified universe. And cancelling everything that isn't DCEU or Reeves' Batverse will look a lot like Marvel having only the MCU and Sony's Spiderverse as running continuities.

So SM and its projects has to fit either in the DCEU or Batverse. But DCEU seems more likely.

I didn't even know there was a Wonder Twins project at all.

If the self-contained stuff is being cancelled.....man I really question that. The self-contained films have been some of their best, while most of their crappiest films have been part of the shared universe. If anything, I'd say drop the DCEU and stick to stand-alone franchise films. If those do well, *then* consider a team up.

If WB/DC can't make good movies that people enjoy and care about, nobody is gonna give a sh*t about those characters teaming up. You'd think they would've learned that lesson already, but if this report is true they're still putting the cart before the horse.

Everyone wants what Marvel has, but nobody at DC seems to realize they don't need it. The MCU exists only because Marvel didn't have the rights to their well known IP that could stand on their own (not back in the 00's anyway), they needed a gimmick to generate interest and hype in their C-listers. DC never had that problem, they control most of the biggest names in the genre. And now, you don't need a well known IP to be successful; you can make a ton of money off no-name characters like Moon Knight and Peacemaker.

Seems like the people in charge are still looking at the whole thing assbackwards if you ask me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Everyone wants what Marvel has, but nobody at DC seems to realize they don't need it; you can make a ton of money off no-name characters like Moon Knight and Peacemaker.

Seems like the people in charge are still looking at the whole thing assbackwards if you ask me.
    Thing is I’m not sure I agree. The shared universe that Marvel has helps up the profit ceiling of even their lesser known characters, it’s how the Avengers took off in the first place. In contrast, DC’s films aren’t getting that boost: BoP and TSS didn’t preform great at the box office, and while The Batman made money and will continue, their other properties aren’t going to be able to benefit from its popularity because it’s off on its own. Even the ending of Peacemaker that got everyone talking was when the wider shared universe showed up. People dig that aspect and Zaslov wants to reprioritize it to help pay the debt off and also make WBD more valuble for when it inevitably gets bought up again.

Yeah, if Moon Knight show wasn't "next chapter in MCU" then I'm not sure how many people would actually care about it. And well, you can't make Joker every time, while shared universe allows mediocre movies/shows to bring in the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Thing is I’m not sure I agree. The shared universe that Marvel has helps up the profit ceiling of even their lesser known characters, it’s how the Avengers took off in the first place. In contrast, DC’s films aren’t getting that boost: BoP and TSS didn’t preform great at the box office, and while The Batman made money and will continue, their other properties aren’t going to be able to benefit from its popularity because it’s off on its own. Even the ending of Peacemaker that got everyone talking was when the wider shared universe showed up. People dig that aspect and Zaslov wants to reprioritize it to help pay the debt off and also make WBD more valuble for when it inevitably gets bought up again.
    And the DCAU was a beloved shared animated universe (although the DC Animated Features less so). But at least it wasn't as much of a hot mess as the Marvel Animated Universe.