Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default "Gotham" (TV show) is the worst Batman universe out there

I don't know where to start with this. The list of bad things is kilometric.

1- Kid Bruce is ridiculous and the worst element of the series. He doesn't "look" like a possible Bruce Wayne. He becomes a detective and a vigilante in his (barely) teen years, meeting all the infamous villains DECADES before he would become Batman (LMAO). That's just super-lame.
    The real Bruce Wayne just trained for years, years, years outside Gotham City, under fake identities. Having a weird-looking, skinny and untrained kid facing the "future" Batman villains is the dumbest idea ever conceived in the world.

2- All the villains look and feel CAMPY as hell. The acting is atrocious. The 1966 Batman show villains were far more menacing and believable.

3- They totally messed up the Joker with the contrived Valeska twins story.

4- Having the Batman: No Man's Land in the last season is a HORRID concept which doesn't make sense.

Basically, the adult Batman is useless. Bruce Wayne already saved the day (with Alfred turned into a superhero) when he was a kid.

This show is the absolute BOTTOM. The 1966 Batman show is a masterpiece that destroys this all over the map.

Gotham was a very crazy and tops-turvy adaption...and there's a lot they didn't get quite right, but when it worked it worked surprisingly well.

I still don't think they properly set up the need for Batman even by the finale and Gordon was kind of terrible, but at least Ben McKenzie met his wife!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The story's set from when he's 13 to 17. Of course he's gonna be skinny. What?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It had its highs and lows. I appreciated it for what it was.

Jim as a central character was pretty one-note. He feels more like a jaded cop with anger issues than good-hearted man with principles fighting against corruption. Bullock was a treat though.

Penguin's rise and the Falcone & Maroni feud were done quite well IMO. I didn't mind Fish Mooney either. The first two seasons kind of showed Gotham transitioning from an ordinary crime town to a city full of weirdos. I also enjoyed Sofia later on.

I liked Leslie Thompkins for the most part. I liked her coming into her own in the Narrows even if it was a bit of a stretch.

Riddler was mostly great, though I didn't like the split-personality dynamic. It's not his thing.

I liked when Bruce was going through growing pains discovering things with Alfred and Lucius. I liked it less when they were actually going on stealth missions, it seemed incredibly contrived at his age. Selina was cool though.

Most of the shorter-arc villains weren't too memorable. Scarecrow and his dad, Mad Hatter's virus, Freeze turning into a thug, Poison Ivy being a dummy, etc. The Court of Owls was cool though, as were Ra's and Azrael. Not definitive takes, but enjoyable. Probably too early though, which is a problem inherent in the series. Hugo Strange might actually have been the most memorable.

Never really warmed to Jerome Valesca's Joker or the weird twin story, though he had his moments.

Barbara Gordon always felt weird. I felt like they tried to backtrack her from being a villain and then. Tabetha and Butch were whatever.

Overall it's probably 6/10 for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The story's set from when he's 13 to 17. Of course he's gonna be skinny. What?
    And he should be a rich kid studying and schooling himself, before the long training.

And nobody should ever suspect that Bruce has big vigilante dreams LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Jim as a central character was pretty one-note. He feels more like a jaded cop with anger issues than good-hearted man with principles fighting against corruption. Bullock was a treat though.
    The problem with Jim is how compromised he became over time to where he became less and less a honest cop or the beacon of hope for the GCPD and more a rabid cop who is only marginally better than some of the villains they fight.
    Penguin's rise and the Falcone & Maroni feud were done quite well IMO. I didn't mind Fish Mooney either. The first two seasons kind of showed Gotham transitioning from an ordinary crime town to a city full of weirdos. I also enjoyed Sofia later on.
    Penguin needed more umbrellas.
    I liked Leslie Thompkins for the most part. I liked her coming into her own in the Narrows even if it was a bit of a stretch.
    I think calling the Narrows stuff a bit of a stretch is underselling it .
    Riddler was mostly great, though I didn't like the split-personality dynamic. It's not his thing.
    It's funny how the show forgot about their version of Harvey Dent and then gave Riddler split-personality problems.
    I liked when Bruce was going through growing pains discovering things with Alfred and Lucius. I liked it less when they were actually going on stealth missions, it seemed incredibly contrived at his age. Selina was cool though.
    Alfred sure was dropping bodies!
    Most of the shorter-arc villains weren't too memorable. Scarecrow and his dad, Mad Hatter's virus, Freeze turning into a thug, Poison Ivy being a dummy, etc. The Court of Owls was cool though, as were Ra's and Azrael. Not definitive takes, but enjoyable. Probably too early though, which is a problem inherent in the series. Hugo Strange might actually have been the most memorable.
    Remember when Hatter controlled people through hats? Now he's a mass hypnotist!

The show wanted to subvert expectations by killing off Nora instead of freezing hre but that left Freeze directionless.

The show never knew what to do with Ivy up until her final body and even it was an 8-10 year old in a 30 year old's body which was really weird on paper.

The Court of Owls felt really lacking compared to the comics, but the show didn't have the scope to pull them off. Most of all the Talons.

Ra's was better before Barbara Kean came back into the picture.
    Never really warmed to Jerome Valesca's Joker or the weird twin story, though he had his moments.
    The Twin thing was weird but I felt he was pretty peak Joker otherwise.
    Barbara Gordon always felt weird. I felt like they tried to backtrack her from being a villain and then. Tabetha and Butch were whatever.
    Barbara felt like a Harley Quinn effect where they've got this attractive crazy woman and talented actress who they keep around despite her function to the plot (aside from giving birth to Barbara Gordon) being way over with.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Barbara felt like a Harley Quinn effect where they've got this attractive crazy woman and talented actress who they keep around despite her function to the plot (aside from giving birth to Barbara Gordon) being way over with.
    Yeah definitely. Probably the strangest turn during the whole show. And then for them to hook up again at the end? Just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Yeah definitely. Probably the strangest turn during the whole show. And then for them to hook up again at the end? Just odd.
    Barbara Gordon born out of wedlock from a one night stand .

Mighty Member

The plots and characterizations were all over the place, but it does have one of my favorite live-action versions of Gotham. It's the right amount of grounded and heightened. Also, they did a mostly good job casting the characters. Too bad most of them didn't get good material to work with.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I thought it was a fun and exciting show. I never missed an episode while it was on.

Gotham was fun I made sure to watch it weekly
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Yeah, certain parts and decisions were, not great. But overall, I enjoyed it.

Extraordinary Member

Bullock, the Penguin, and young Bruce and Selina were great. It's the one property to truly sell me on the Bat-Cat romance. And I actually enjoy the idea that the supervillains actually predate Batman, as it gets rid of the whole 'does Batman make things worse by inspiring all the supervillains' issue. A very flawed series, but compared to most of the CW crap it might as well be Shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Bullock, the Penguin, and young Bruce and Selina were great. It's the one property to truly sell me on the Bat-Cat romance. And I actually enjoy the idea that the supervillains actually predate Batman, as it gets rid of the whole 'does Batman make things worse by inspiring all the supervillains' issue. A very flawed series, but compared to most of the CW crap it might as well be Shakespeare.
    Well, characters like the Falcones and what not, would have to predate Batman.

I love Gotham. It was campy, yes, colorful and fun. It got some things wrong, and a lot of it worked better than I expected. I watched the whole series and expect to rewatch it someday.