Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I enjoyed it, but that was probably due to the cocktails I made to convince my housemate to watch it with me.

Many a negroni was drunk to the satisfaction of seeing Fish Moony and Butch somehow reappearing yet again.

It understood several things about Batman: the villains, Alfred, and Jim Gordon are the only things that make Bruce tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Bullock, the Penguin, and young Bruce and Selina were great. It's the one property to truly sell me on the Bat-Cat romance. And I actually enjoy the idea that the supervillains actually predate Batman, as it gets rid of the whole 'does Batman make things worse by inspiring all the supervillains' issue. A very flawed series, but compared to most of the CW crap it might as well be Shakespeare.
    I think the real issue wasn't so much that (even if they never quite address the fact that all his villains are much older than him by the finale) but that they never properly set up why the city needed Batman when Jim Gordon more or less saved the day season after season.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like Gotham excelled from the sheer enthusiasm much if the staff and cast had for it, and suffered from the sheer lack of any real forward thinking by its show runner. The villains and side characters clearly had more consistent fun and usually benefitted from being able to start new stories and arcs whenever they needed to. Both Bruce and Gordon struggled at times because they were supposed to have longer through-line story arcs, and since they never planned ahead enough for that, they often just kind of got weird “holding patterns.”

I always thought that it could be that hard to plan ahead, but I really enjoyed the stuff they free-styled.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I feel like Gotham excelled from the sheer enthusiasm much if the staff and cast had for it, and suffered from the sheer lack of any real forward thinking by its show runner. The villains and side characters clearly had more consistent fun and usually benefitted from being able to start new stories and arcs whenever they needed to. Both Bruce and Gordon struggled at times because they were supposed to have longer through-line story arcs, and since they never planned ahead enough for that, they often just kind of got weird “holding patterns.”

I always thought that it could be that hard to plan ahead, but I really enjoyed the stuff they free-styled.
    I think the lack of planning definitely shows.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think the lack of planning definitely shows.
    Definitely. The show's take on Penguin and Poison Ivy were big victims of it. It really felt like season 3 was supposed to be the grand finale, until it got renewed for another season. I remember they even struggled to get two additional episodes in season 5 so it could reach syndication numbers.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The story's set from when he's 13 to 17. Of course he's gonna be skinny. What?
    He was OK for a 13 year old Bruce, but not so much for a 17 year old, and I think the same goes for the actress who played Selina.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Bullock, the Penguin, and young Bruce and Selina were great. It's the one property to truly sell me on the Bat-Cat romance. And I actually enjoy the idea that the supervillains actually predate Batman, as it gets rid of the whole 'does Batman make things worse by inspiring all the supervillains' issue. A very flawed series, but compared to most of the CW crap it might as well be Shakespeare.
    It was one of my favorite shows just for Bruce/Selina pairing with me a Bat-Cat fan.

I like that they made them very connected in the show.

I also liked Bruce's relationship with Alfred as he was being raised and trained by him.

I thought the show was fun to watch. I didn't really take it seriously. I viewed it as an elseworld thing which it actually is, and so that helped me enjoy it.

The villains were alright.

I didn't like the ending. I wanted to see an adult Bruce Wayne with him interacting with Selina, Alfred, and Gordon.

I also wanted to see Batman and Catwoman fighting just a little bit. I wanted to see Batman chasing Catwoman.
    Last edited by Starrius; 04-22-2022 at 12:40 AM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Earth-1 Batman was Robin, so a teenage Bruce Wayne crime-fighting isn't too far-fetched.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 04-29-2022 at 09:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    Who did SHE play?!? I stopped watching sometime between the second and third seasons.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I love Gotham. It was campy, yes, colorful and fun. It got some things wrong, and a lot of it worked better than I expected. I watched the whole series and expect to rewatch it someday.
    Yes. I missed some of the campiness from the 1966-68 show. I was watching it the whole time it was on. It was a fun version of these characters. I loved their version of Penguin and Riddler especially!

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Definitely. The show's take on Penguin and Poison Ivy were big victims of it. It really felt like season 3 was supposed to be the grand finale, until it got renewed for another season. I remember they even struggled to get two additional episodes in season 5 so it could reach syndication numbers.
    All the reboots they kept doing with Ivy were kind of hilarious. Third time's the charm at least .

(Also, Ivy Pepper? Come on).
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Who did SHE play?!? I stopped watching sometime between the second and third seasons.
    Tabitha Galavan. Basically an OC who taught Selina how to use her whip.

I thought the show was awful and I really did try to like it.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Eh, there were elements of it that were good. It's far from the worse at any rate thanks to CW Batwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, there were elements of it that were good. It's far from the worse at any rate thanks to CW Batwoman.
    I don't really see how Batwoman is worse.