Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

It makes sense since the DBD first appeared in Sandman. The second season should include that story and can be an intro to the characters.
    Sounds perfect.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It makes sense since the DBD first appeared in Sandman. The second season should include that story and can be an intro to the characters.
    IIRC, the DBD show was spinning off of their appearance on Doom Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I was browsing this thread and for a second read "Luke Cage joins 'Dead Boy Detectives' Series...", I was very confused :P
    That would've been a cool crossover tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    IIRC, the DBD show was spinning off of their appearance on Doom Patrol.
    Is it still a spin-off if they use different actors and now will be on different network?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Neil Gaiman says DEAD BOY DETECTIVE are now part of the SANDMAN Universe.

https://screenrant.com/dead-boy-dete...n-neil-gaiman/

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Neil Gaiman says DEAD BOY DETECTIVE are now part of the SANDMAN Universe.

https://screenrant.com/dead-boy-dete...n-neil-gaiman/
    I don’t love this news because I thought Sandman on Netflix was almost perfect. It doesn’t need a shared fictional universe. It’s good on its own. But, at least it’s not part of Gunn’s DC Studios. Nothing against Gunn, but not every story has to be shackled to more stories just to make a successful set of franchises. Some things are great by themselves, like Netflix’s Sandman.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I don’t love this news because I thought Sandman on Netflix was almost perfect. It doesn’t need a shared fictional universe. It’s good on its own. But, at least it’s not part of Gunn’s DC Studios. Nothing against Gunn, but not every story has to be shackled to more stories just to make a successful set of franchises. Some things are great by themselves, like Netflix’s Sandman.
    There is a Constantine in the show.

It is clearly already a show existing in some sort of a shared universe.

Never mind that they are squarely The Sandman characters.

There is not much of a logical reason why you would wall these characters off from all of the characters that appeared in the same comic that they did.

Yes, and even before that there were many connections between Sandman and various Vertigo titles, and even plain old DC Comics titles.

I also generally hope for the best for Gunn’s DC Studios. I liked some of the Snyderverse, but it’s time for something new.

That said, Sandman on Netflix worked great on its own. It doesn’t need to be connected with anything else in DC’s movies and shows. Why try to connect it with anything else?

Luckily, the article makes no mention of there being crossovers between Sandman and anything else at Netflix. It sounds like Dead Boy Detectives is being developed entirely outside of Gunn’s purview and as a standalone property, which is fine.

Sandman on Netflix isn’t broken. It doesn’t need fixing. It doesn’t need to be connected to other properties.

It’s also kind of interesting that there’s plenty of DC properties being developed apart from Gunn. Gunn’s authority doesn’t really seem to extend over all DC IP, which is also fine.
    How do you "Try..." to connect The Sandman to characters from The Sandman?

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Is it still a spin-off if they use different actors and now will be on different network?
    Or if they will essentially be starting from scratch...

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    There is a Constantine in the show.

It is clearly already a show existing in some sort of a shared universe.
    Of course, there are characters in the Netflix series from the comics. There’s nothing but characters from the comics in the series. Although, the Netflix series stuck to just Johanna Constantine, not John. But no connection within the Netflix series is drawn between DC’s other media properties and Constantine. There’s no hint of a connection to the upcoming Swamp Thing or previous media appearances of Constantine. There’s no hint of Sandman, Death, Johanna, Cain or Abel, or any character from Netflix’s Sandman being tied to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, or even Doom Patrol. Lucifer on Netflix’s Sandman is not the same character or fictional universe presented on Fox’s Lucifer.

Every fictional story in the world is presented as being part of an existing fictional world or “universe.” The Netflix Sandman series cannot escape that. However, it does not present itself as being part of DC Studios, the former DCEU of movies or TV shows, including CW’s Arrowverse, etc. Netflix Sandman was presented as a standalone series.

Even with the addition of Dead Boy Detectives, it sounds like it’s a completely different cast and production than HBO’s Doom Patrol, and definitely not a part of Gunn’s DC Studios., I am glad about that, yet I don’t think a Dead Boy Detectives is really needed to improve Netflix’s Sandman.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    How do you "Try..." to connect The Sandman to characters from The Sandman?
    See my explanation above.

Even with the addition of Dead Boy Detectives, it sounds like it’s a completely different cast and production than HBO’s Doom Patrol, and definitely not a part of Gunn’s DC Studios., I am glad about that, yet I don’t think a Dead Boy Detectives is really needed to improve Netflix’s Sandman.

Has anyone really said that, though?

Feels more like "Is there any good argument "For..." keeping the characters out of the fold based on what looks a lot like a "Just Because..." line of reasoning?..."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8bGICMgXEn0

Wasn't this going to be on max? Or is this a different show?

Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred