Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Is WW needed in flashpoint beyond?

That event has to be among the most harmful things to ever happen to Diana and her mythos. So why bringing it back? Does anyboody expect anything good from this? Hasn't there been enough villain and murder WW stuff already?
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 04-15-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Mighty Member

The better question would be if Flashpoint Beyond is needed, and the answer is, no it would be much better to pretend like Flashpoint would have never happened in the first place.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Johns is using it as a vehicle to explore the concept of Time in DCU and he's planning to spin off some books or stories using characters that hasn't been used in a while, with repercussions to the larger DC Omniverse.

IGN interview

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    The better question would be if Flashpoint Beyond is needed, and the answer is, no it would be much better to pretend like Flashpoint would have never happened in the first place.
    This.

But it didn't harm her mythos or anything. Id say there are other changes who had it worse

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This.

But it didn't harm her mythos or anything. Id say there are other changes who had it worse
    I have to respectfully disagree with that. Sure there are other changes who had it worse, but it still harmed WW's mythos/image. Flashpoint further perpetuated the image of WW as a ruthless killer and warmonger. Sure it was a parallel universe but it still added to that idea.

I mean, everyone in that universe is hyper violent. Batman uses guns.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean, everyone in that universe is hyper violent. Batman uses guns.
    But he isn't Bruce Wayne. And other people like Cyborg or Superman are mostly their normal selves (in terms of character), just put in a different situation.

I got the issue that came out this week, but haven’t read it.

Poor Diana and Arthur in that series. Ugh.

The only thing I thought was interesting was the transformation of both Thomas and Martha Wayne. It was a clever twist on the Batman and Joker origins.

I’m curious which characters Johns wants to spin out of this.

Injustice had a far worse impact WW. It got a well-deserved black eye in the form of a bad animated movie but there's probably more of that franchise coming while no one will care about this series six months from now.

Injustice, Azarello's run, Johns Nu52 JL had a far more negative impact on WW than Flaspoint which was just an alternate universe anyway.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member

I think WW becoming more and more acceptably violent was really a step-by-step thing. You can draw a line from Kingdom Come to today's version:

- Kingdom Come (future Elseworld WW is more aggressive, only one of the trinity willing to kill, loves Superman due to circumstances)
    -> DCAU (main WW being more aggresive and arrogant, almost her main trait)
    -> DCAU (alternate Justice Lord WW is generic baddie but still a willing participant in someone elses totalitarian regime)
    -> Infinite Crisis/Maxwell Lord Incident (main WW is the only one of the trinity willing to kill)
    -> Flashpoint (Elseworld WW is a willing leader of a totalitarian regime that's still somewhat outside her control [Mera attacked and Aquaman started the war], willing to murder)
    -> New 52 (main WW is much more aggresive and careless, almost looking for fights, willing to kill, loves Superman due to circumstances)
    -> Injustice Videogame (basically her Justice Lord self; alternate WW is a somewhat generic baddie, willing participant in a totalitarian regime, willing to kill, whitewashes murder, loves Superman due to circumstances [at least the game is somewhat subtle and presents the relationship as something that's recent and she isn't completely convinced of)
    -> Injustice Comic: Basically the culmination, main WW (she's not presented as an "alternate" here, unlike the game); she's an arrogant, aggressive person that was apparently waiting her whole superhero life for the chance to create a totalitarian regime and get and get into Superman pants; willing to kill, condones murder, willing to murder and only gets worse from there. This is the characterization that Injustice 2 retroactively applied to her, as well as the spin-offs.
    Last edited by Zagre; 04-15-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with that. Sure there are other changes who had it worse, but it still harmed WW's mythos/image. Flashpoint further perpetuated the image of WW as a ruthless killer and warmonger. Sure it was a parallel universe but it still added to that idea.
    Her mythos weren't impacted. No one took Flashpoint and said "this is a good look on WW and co." WW has had plenty of elseworlds stories where she wasn't love and peace.

Incredible Member

Her mythos weren't impacted. No one took Flashpoint and said "this is a good look on WW and co." WW has had plenty of elseworlds stories where she wasn't love and peace.
    But the tone of the story and the reason for why the characters are acting like they are are still important, as well as how much similar (or not) the alternate version is to the original. Like, I really doubt anybody is going to take a look at the Zombie WW and say "huh, so Wonder Woman likes to eat people" and something like WW Dead Earth takes place in such a different (and wacky, in places) version of the DCU that when that version loses control is still not similar to the OG.

But when you present a possible future or alternate world where the character, willingly and without assist of out-there factors or circumstances, acts like an aggressive murderer you're putting in the readership/audiences mind that the OG version does have that darkness inside. And then slowly they started to give those traits to the main one or acting like the Elseworlds-type Flashpoint or Injustice could be the main one.

Mighty Member

This.

There were many things who overshadow Flashpoint in that regard because they did more harm, but i would not underestimate it's impact, i am very sure it did some harm too.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Apparently ww lost to aquaman in flashpoint. So maybe we can say she is done and we won't see more from her. That would be a good thing. Even if we have to take the possibility that she lost to aquaman in a fight that probably treated her as a jobber and didn't really make any of the 2 look like real powerhouses.