Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Can someone explain the working title to me?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Can someone explain the working title to me?
    Probably reference to London and the fact most houses have chimneys. Personally I'd love it if it referred to his smoking. Pommies and us Aussies have a saying, "smoke like a chimney" to describe someone who chainsmokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Probably reference to London and the fact most houses have chimneys. Personally I'd love it if it referred to his smoking. Pommies and us Aussies have a saying, "smoke like a chimney" to describe someone who chainsmokes.
    I didn't think think about the smoking, but now that seems it's probably the case. My mind went to an old derogatory term for non-straight men and it seems weird to me that no one involved with the series had noticed that.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

I didn't think think about the smoking, but now that seems it's probably the case. My mind went to an old derogatory term for non-straight men and it seems weird to me that no one involved with the series had noticed that.
    ...maybe because they aren't old enough to know it was? I mean I'm 34 and this is the first I'm learning that chimney was ever used that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...maybe because they aren't old enough to know it was? I mean I'm 34 and this is the first I'm learning that chimney was ever used that way.
    I'm 46 and have never heard it used that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I'm 46 and have never heard it used that way.
    Maybe it's something specific to whatever country Catlady is in? I remember being floored when watching British tv and films and hearing them say fag to refer to a cigarette. Here in the US it's certainly never been used for cigarettes, but is a very homophobic slur. So cultural differences are a thing regarding words used as slurs.

Oh for sure but "fag" meaning cigarette is something I heard of from way back. "Chimney" is completely new to me. Live and learn, I suppose.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Then why did they specifically pattern him after Sting? Because that was the look and feel they were going for.

Also, "eccentric warlock"? Nothing eccentric about John. The scouser git is a straight up arsehole. A lovable arsehole who means well, but is an arsehole nonetheless.
    Nothing about him as a person is related to looking like Sting though...they just thought that was cool, but it's not really centrally important to the character in any way which is different than Batman where the pointy ears, cape and cowl are big parts of the character which is why I don't get the complaint.

Because of how much of a part of Batman's appearance is important to him as a character I would get people being upset if say they released this as the new look for Batman in the next film:

But being blonde and white isn't a huge part of why Constantine works. If he's sufficiently sarcastic, world weary and acts like a self centered ass then he's Constantine. And there's nothing about the guy they cast that says he can't be those things.

It's like the new Batman movie, there's nothing about Jim Gordon's character that really requires him to be white so there was nothing wrong with casting Jeffery Wright for the role as he nails that blue collar hero kind of personality that has always made Gordon appealing.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-21-2022 at 01:49 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Nothing about him as a person is related to looking like Sting though...they just thought that was cool, but it's not really centrally important to the character in any way which is different than Batman where the pointy ears, cape and cowl are big parts of the character which is why I don't get the complaint.

Because of how much of a part of Batman's appearance is important to him as a character I would get people being upset if say they released this as the new look for Batman in the next film:

But being blonde and white isn't a huge part of why Constantine works. If he's sufficiently sarcastic, world weary and acts like a self centered ass then he's Constantine. And there's nothing about the guy they cast that says he can't be those things.

It's like the new Batman movie, there's nothing about Jim Gordon's character that really requires him to be white so there was nothing wrong with casting Jeffery Wright for the role as he nails that blue collar hero kind of personality that has always made Gordon appealing.
    Because this is the second project JJ has been involved with whereby he has decided to change the race of a character for no other reason than to score brownie points. It's lazy. When I think of John Constantine the image of sting is what immediately pops into my head. Bet it's the same for many.

We will see with the final product. If I'm proved wrong, I'll gladly wear it.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 04-21-2022 at 06:38 PM.

Because this is the second project JJ has been involved with whereby he has decided to change the race of a character for no other reason than to score brownie points. It's lazy. When I think of John Constantine the image of sting is what immediately pops into my head. Bet it's the same for many.

And...

Casting a movie star who is a dark haired American wasn't?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    And...

Casting a movie star who is a dark haired American wasn't?
    They cast Reeves because A. He was riding high still from The Matrix films at the time and 2. Because they were going to localize it anyway. No way was Hollywood going to cast a brit for it.

As I stated earlier, Constantine 05 doesn't work when placed side by side with the source material (the links were superfluous at best). It was only once fans removed that from the equation (and judged the film on its own merits) were they able to see that it was a good horror noir that had a likeable lead in Reeves and good direction in parts. Only let down by an ending that was stupid. I liked it for what it was, but hated it for not being faithful to the source material.

I am of the opinion that visual aesthetics play a significant part in defining how embraced characters are. How John looks in the comics is the default for me and that's what I've had all my life. Going the route they are going may work. It may not. For now, I personally don't think what they are doing is going to work for them.

They cast Reeves because A. He was riding high still from The Matrix films at the time and 2. Because they were going to localize it anyway. No way was Hollywood going to cast a brit for it.

As I stated earlier, Constantine 05 doesn't work when placed side by side with the source material (the links were superfluous at best). It was only once fans removed that from the equation (and judged the film on its own merits) were they able to see that it was a good horror noir that had a likeable lead in Reeves and good direction in parts. Only let down by an ending that was stupid. I liked it for what it was, but hated it for not being faithful to the source material.

I am of the opinion that visual aesthetics play a significant part in defining how embraced characters are. How John looks in the comics is the default for me and that's what I've had all my life. Going the route they are going may work. It may not. For now, I personally don't think what they are doing is going to work for them.
    I like the ending myself....

Astonishing Member

Not sure about being derogatory for non-straight men. I know calling a black person a chimney sweep was a slur back in the day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I like the ending myself....
    More so the mid credits sequence. If the film had just ended after John punching Gabriel and giving the spear to Angela, it would have been fine. But then they added the crap with John trying to give up smoking (he'll never give up his silk cuts in the comics) and Chas becoming an angel. That wasn't need. Just seemed to be put there as sequel bait.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Again, there's a difference between what pops up in your head and what is actually important to the story. What about any Hellblazer story hinges on John Constantine looking like Sting?

Batman and Superman looking the way they do is intrinsically important to their stories. Superman just isn't Superman without his cape and Batman's cowl and gadgets are big plot points...but what about being a smarmy jack ass who fights demons and monsters needs him to specifically be a blonde haired white guy?

Again I'd point to Wright as Gordon, he definitely isn't a red haired white guy but he's arguably the best Jim Gordon I've seen on screen which is saying something when that list includes Gary Oldman. And it's the same here, sure Constantine has always looked like Sting...but that look isn't actually what makes the character interesting, it's not why people come back to the stories again and again. What's important is who he is and how he sees the world...and you don't need to be a white guy to portray those characteristics on screen.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!