Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Ukraine War & effects on Russian characters in the media

Do you think that the Russian invasion has effected characters with Russian origins in the world media?
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Do you think that the Russian invasion has effected characters with Russian origins in the world media?
    Depends on the characters and the stories.

Also, any current content with Russian characters was probably created prior to the invasion.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

no but even if it had some effect i don't think any new stuff would dethrone the cold war era tropes we're all accustomed to.

maybe russia as a country or government will now be involved and criticized in villain plots a little more than usual though

Spectacular Member

Yeah, honestly, before the war - before the invasion of Crimea even - how many positive Russian characters were depicted in western entertainment? How many were usually oligarchs and/or gangsters or evil spies? Just look at the John Wick series or Misison Impossible. Even in Red Sparrow where the main character is a Russian spy, almost all of the other Russians were bad, bad people.

I guess The Americans was the most positive - but the heroes were still Russian spies who committed murder and fraud.

On the other hand, I think depictions of people in general in most shows and movies today seems to be on the pessimistic and cynical side. BREAKING BAD, BETTER CALL SAUL, SUCCESSION, YELLOWSTONE and so on, all the hit shows are about terrible people.
    Last edited by Johnathan; 04-24-2022 at 06:09 AM.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

I was thinking that Magick wasn't effected yet don't see her brother around plus heard that Stormwatch is going to have an Ukrainan member so who knows
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    I don’t know that we’ve seen any change in media, yet. But in comics, I’d like some changes.

I’d love to see Captain America go over there and kick some Russkie @$$!!

They could even play it up that Cap couldn’t go over there because of the fears around escalation and direct conflict. But maybe Steve would just volunteer as Steve, or maybe he’d go over as Nomad.

Maybe they could just have him take on Russian agents in America, like the character originally did with Nazis before America entered WWII.

Any way you slice it, it’s disappointing to see America’s super hero sits totally on the sidelines of this conflict, not even helping with so much as arms deliveries. It’s like, what the hell, Cap? What are you doing over there, Marvel?
    Last edited by Brian B; 02-02-2023 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I don’t know that we’ve seen any change in media, yet. But in comics, I’d like some changes.

I’d love to see Captain America go over there and kick some Russkie @$$!!

They could even play it up that Cap couldn’t go over there because of the fears around escalation and direct conflict. But maybe Steve would just volunteer as Steve, or maybe he’d go over as Nomad.

Maybe they could just have him take on Russian agents in America, like the character originally did with Nazis before America entered WWII.

Any way you slice it, it’s disappointing to see America’s super hero sits totally on the sidelines of this conflict, not even helping with so much as arms deliveries. It’s like, what the hell, Cap? What are you doing over there, Marvel?
    You know how that would go. The usual suspects will complain that they don't want "politics" in their entertainment.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    You know how that would go. The usual suspects will complain that they don't want "politics" in their entertainment.
    Who would complain?

Ultimate Member

Who would complain?
    Political pundits that have to fill time on a slow news day, social media grifters....

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Political pundits that have to fill time on a slow news day, social media grifters....
    Aside from maybe Tucker Carlson, I can’t think of anyone who would complain. And to heck with whatever he thinks anyway. Your average comic fan would not care. It would be a much more interesting direction than the usual superhero fare.

Who would complain?
    Same people that complained about Superman fighting KKK for example.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Same people that complained about Superman fighting KKK for example.
    Phooey on people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Are you trying not to say Millennials ?
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 10-09-2023 at 01:59 PM.

Phooey on people like that.
    Are you trying to say Millennials? Because that would be wrong btw, sorry for the double post error on my behalf
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 10-09-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    Are you trying not to say Millennials ?
    It's not just Millennials. There's plenty of Gen-Xers and Boomers on social media and legacy media cashing on outrage culture and fake complaining that "politics" are ruining their movies/comics/TV shows/cartoons/whatever.