Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Well the ship's look good at least

https://screenrant.com/one-piece-net...ate-ships-set/

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Their is virtually no chance this is going to be good.
    1. You have a world that is visually very difficult to adapt to live action without taking away what made it unique.
    2. You have a very expensive special effects story, being adapted by a studio that is notoriously conservative when it comes to spending.
    3. You have a massive multi decade long epic, being adapted by a studio that prefers to make shows that last only 2 seasons.
    4. Anime/manga doesn’t have a good track record of good live action adaptations.
    5. Anime/manga fans have been programmed for decades to expect faithful adaptations that don’t deviate to far from the source material. That is very unlikely to happen with this adaption.

I admire the enthusiasm of Luffy's actor and how much they're committing to the set design, but I'm not sure if that'll translate to everything else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Their is virtually no chance this is going to be good.
    1. You have a world that is visually very difficult to adapt to live action without taking away what made it unique.
    2. You have a very expensive special effects story, being adapted by a studio that is notoriously conservative when it comes to spending.
    3. You have a massive multi decade long epic, being adapted by a studio that prefers to make shows that last only 2 seasons.
    4. Anime/manga doesn’t have a good track record of good live action adaptations.
    5. Anime/manga fans have been programmed for decades to expect faithful adaptations that don’t deviate to far from the source material. That is very unlikely to happen with this adaption.
    The worst that can happen is it ends up being utter shite. In which case, it'll be forgotten about just as quickly. They might as well strike while they can because the next arc of One Piece is the last.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Indeed they do. They seem to be doing justice to the looks of the Going Merry, the Baratie, and other prominent ships/locations in the East Blue.

What I'm worried about is how they'll handle the Devil Fruit powers. In the East Blue, there are few Devil Fruit users. But even just focusing on Luffy and Buggy's Devil Fruits will provide challenges as to how to make them work in live-action.

Nick Creamer details the problems with translating One Piece to live-action in this article here. https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-fe...tion-one-piece

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The worst that can happen is it ends up being utter shite. In which case, it'll be forgotten about just as quickly. They might as well strike while they can because the next arc of One Piece is the last.
    Well, maybe not the next arc, but the next big 'saga'. Sagas can comprise several arcs related to them. One Piece is just now wrapping up the whole Pirate-Samurai-Ninja-Mink Alliance saga that began either at Zou or, further back at Punk Hazard. But still, yes, as far as the main journey of One Piece goes, that journey (to find the One Piece and so on) has more years behind it than ahead of it, especially since it's clear Luffy and company are now closer than ever to actually finding the One Piece since they've already located three out of the four Road Poneglyphs leading to the 'final island'.

In any case, One Piece is a very big property, so it makes sense to at least try to do a live-action adaptation of some of the early arcs. The main question is whether or not live action can do justice to One Piece, even if they stick to the East Blue, where the greater scope of the World Government and all the other power players was only hinted at, and where the various islands aren't too bizarre (as opposed to things like Little Garden, Long Ring Island, Thriller Bark, Punk Hazard, and Whole Cake Island). The deeper they get into One Piece, the more elaborate special effects would be required.

And quite frankly, I'd be surprised if the live-action One Piece makes it as far as Alabasta. And even if it got there, there'd probably be a number of Baroque Works agents that would be omitted from the adaptation due to the difficulties in presenting them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Well, maybe not the next arc, but the next big 'saga'. Sagas can comprise several arcs related to them. One Piece is just now wrapping up the whole Pirate-Samurai-Ninja-Mink Alliance saga that began either at Zou or, further back at Punk Hazard. But still, yes, as far as the main journey of One Piece goes, that journey (to find the One Piece and so on) has more years behind it than ahead of it, especially since it's clear Luffy and company are now closer than ever to actually finding the One Piece since they've already located three out of the four Road Poneglyphs leading to the 'final island'.
    Without any delays, he expects it to wrap late 2024 or early 2025. I honestly thought he might keep it chugging along to 2027 to get the 30 years up.

In any case, One Piece is a very big property, so it makes sense to at least try to do a live-action adaptation of some of the early arcs. The main question is whether or not live action can do justice to One Piece, even if they stick to the East Blue, where the greater scope of the World Government and all the other power players was only hinted at, and where the various islands aren't too bizarre (as opposed to things like Little Garden, Long Ring Island, Thriller Bark, Punk Hazard, and Whole Cake Island). The deeper they get into One Piece, the more elaborate special effects would be required.

And quite frankly, I'd be surprised if the live-action One Piece makes it as far as Alabasta. And even if it got there, there'd probably be a number of Baroque Works agents that would be omitted from the adaptation due to the difficulties in presenting them.
    I don't think it'll even get to Alabasta. End of Arlong Park is as far as I think they'll adapt.

I read somewhere that one piece is ending soon is this true? And if so do you think it'll affect the netflix deal?

Astonishing Member

I read somewhere that one piece is ending soon is this true? And if so do you think it'll affect the netflix deal?
    It is true, yes. Oda is currently on a month long break before he returns to begin work on the last saga of One Piece. But Saga's with him often take a few years to unfold, so the franchise will continue until 2025.

And it shouldn't affect the deal as Netflix is only doing up until the Arlong Park arc. They have decades of material to adapt.

It is true, yes. Oda is currently on a month long break before he returns to begin work on the last saga of One Piece. But Saga's with him often take a few years to unfold, so the franchise will continue until 2025.

And it shouldn't affect the deal as Netflix is only doing up until the Arlong Park arc. They have decades of material to adapt.
    I really can't imagine one piece ending for good it'll come back like dragon ball.

Astonishing Member

I really can't imagine one piece ending for good it'll come back like dragon ball.
    Difference there is Oda has been doing it since 1997. Toriyama only did Dragonball for 11 years. Then it took another 20 years before he did Super and he only helps with the plotting. Kishimoto had a similar thing going with Boruto before he took it over again full time.

One Piece is Oda's magnum opus. He may come back to it later on and do more of it, but once this run of One Piece is finished, I'll imagine it will be rested for a long while. He has expressed he wants to retire and he has earned it if he does.

Difference there is Oda has been doing it since 1997. Toriyama only did Dragonball for 11 years. Then it took another 20 years before he did Super and he only helps with the plotting. Kishimoto had a similar thing going with Boruto before he took it over again full time.

One Piece is Oda's magnum opus. He may come back to it later on and do more of it, but once this run of One Piece is finished, I'll imagine it will be rested for a long while. He has expressed he wants to retire and he has earned it if he does.
    What about the show can it keep going after the comic ends?

irenmasita

what do you think about being a yonkou? this is very surprising for me hahaha
    I forgot, there was one buggy pirate crew that turned out to be beautiful. what is his name?

Astonishing Member

They could. But then you'll end up with a GT like situation whereby it will be seen as filler.

It also depends on how it ends. Finding the One Piece isn't Luffy's goal. He wants to be "King Of The Pirates" and be most "Free man on Earth". Can't do that when the World Government is pulling the strings. Which is how it'll likely end - The Straw Hats overthrowing the World Government.

The two major fights Luffy has ahead of him is - Teach and Im
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 06-28-2022 at 01:35 AM.

If it is successful, yes. Otherwise, no.

Also, this thread is about the upcoming live action One Piece show. If you want to discuss the manga there is a separate thread for that.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-28-2022 at 06:53 PM.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly