Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It hasn't been proven at all they didn't try with evolution at all come on man.
    It wouldn't work. The hairstyles alone are iconic. What? Have actors running around with wigs on? Not to mention how the heck they'd pull Piccolo off. I'd love for a decent DBZ live action film, but come on... if it could be done (And done well), Japan would have been all over it by now. But DBZ is one of those Manga were it's success is partly due to Toriyama's art style. Same with Oda and One Piece.

There is a reason most anime/manga live adaptations fail: they rarely can capture the feel and look of those works. Only a few made in Japan have ever been successful.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Wait, what?

Oh, boy. As has been said, certain anime/manga do NOT translate well to live action. One Piece is near the top of that, along with DBZ.

The anime/manga has been going steady since the late 90s. With barely any filler, just very long, drawn out arcs giving everyone and their mother's mother a back story AND flashback.
    Another reason why Shonen stuff doesn't lend itself well to live adaptations - the length of the story. Bleach was a fun film, but it barely scratched the surface. The only Shonen work that has worked well in live action was Rurouni Kenshin.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It wouldn't work. The hairstyles alone are iconic. What? Have actors running around with wigs on? Not to mention how the heck they'd pull Piccolo off. I'd love for a decent DBZ live action film, but come on... if it could be done (And done well), Japan would have been all over it by now. But DBZ is one of those Manga were it's success is partly due to Toriyama's art style. Same with Oda and One Piece.

There is a reason most anime/manga live adaptations fail: they rarely can capture the feel and look of those works. Only a few made in Japan have ever been successful.
    thanos looked alright why can't piccolo work? He looked alright in DBE as for the hairstyles I really don't think it's that big a deal personally I don't care.

Astonishing Member

thanos looked alright why can't piccolo work? He looked alright in DBE as for the hairstyles I really don't think it's that big a deal personally I don't care.
    The hair is definitely part of it. Goku or Vegeta without their distinctive hair is like Batman without the cowl. And Piccolo would require some seriously good CGI to capture how he moves and fights.

The world of DB is just too fantastical to pull off. It would get savaged like Cowboy Bebop did. Even worse so.

Although his comments were made with regard to his own work, Hideaki Anno once said that anime is very much a product of Japanese traditions, perspectives and storytelling. Hence why it often performs poorly whenever western countries try to adapt it. I think there is some truth to that. Which is why Neon Genesis will never get a American live action adaptation.

Now take a property like Riding Bean or Gunsmith Cats. Both of those are manga that are teaming with American influences and culture (Because Sonoda loves American culture). Those two are perfect for live action audiences in the west. Those are the properties American studios should be going after.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 04-18-2022 at 08:55 PM.

The hair is definitely part of it. Goku or Vegeta without their distinctive hair is like Batman without the cowl. And Piccolo would require some seriously good CGI to capture how he moves and fights.

The world of DB is just too fantastical to pull off. It would get savaged like Cowboy Bebop did. Even worse so.

Although his comments were made with regard to his own work, Hideaki Anno once said that anime is very much a product of Japanese traditions, perspectives and storytelling. Hence why it often performs poorly whenever western countries try to adapt it. I think there is some truth to that. Which is why Neon Genesis will never get a American live action adaptation.

Now take a property like Riding Bean or Gunsmith Cats. Both of those are manga that are teaming with American influences and culture (Because Sonoda loves American culture). Those two are perfect for live action audiences in the west. Those are the properties American studios should be going after.
    I get what you're saying but disagree I just don't care about Goku's hair that much as long as it turns blonde after he goes SS I'm good evening else can be done with CGI

Astonishing Member

I get what you're saying but disagree I just don't care about Goku's hair that much as long as it turns blonde after he goes SS I'm good evening else can be done with CGI
    Okay, what is it about Dragonball that appeals to you? Is it the art? The story? What? Because the way it looks and is designed is one of its biggest draws. You can't replicate Toriyama's style in live action. Sorry, but no matter how cool the idea is, it'll just end up like the other adaptations that America has touched.

I doubt Toriyama would be keen on America having another go with it. He absolutely hated the Evolution. It's why he came back to do Super. He became much more hands on with his work again after that. Plus I don't see Toei letting anyone else touch the golden goose that is Dragonball. The best you can hope for is if Toei does a live action with an all Japanese cast. THEN it may work.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 04-18-2022 at 11:44 PM.

Okay, what is it about Dragonball that appeals to you? Is it the art? The story? What? Because the way it looks and is designed is one of its biggest draws. You can't replicate Toriyama's style in live action. Sorry, but no matter how cool the idea is, it'll just end up like the other adaptations that America has touched.

I doubt Toriyama would be keen on America having another go with it. He absolutely hated the Evolution. It's why he came back to do Super. He became much more hands on with his work again after that. Plus I don't see Toei letting anyone else touch the golden goose that is Dragonball. The best you can hope for is if Toei does a live action with an all Japanese cast. THEN it may work.
    I like a lot of things about it's just the hair don't care about but that's just me also ppl were saying the same thing about comics in the 90s and 80s it can never be replaced In a movie I remember a thread in CBR in 04 saying a IG movie would never happen point is never say never.
    Last edited by choptop; 04-19-2022 at 12:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

I like a lot of things about it's just the hair don't care about but that's just me also ppl were saying the same thing about comics in the 90s and 80s it can never be replaced In a movie I remember a thread in CBR in 04 saying a IG movie would never happen point is never say never.
    Maybe down the road, yes (likely after Toriyama has passed). But I don't see a Dragonball film happening any time soon. Toei and Toriyama seem content to just do the animated films for now.

Astonishing Member

Seems the 10 episodes will cover East Blue. Good Lord, just how much will be chopped?

Indeed. But to the other 99% of the fandom (which is world wide), foregoing the hair styles alone would receive MAJOR backlash. Plus knowing Hollywood execs, and how over the top Dragon Ball simply is from the ground up, I foresee much worse than what Evolution did.

Indeed. But to the other 99% of the fandom (which is world wide), foregoing the hair styles alone would receive MAJOR backlash. Plus knowing Hollywood execs, and how over the top Dragon Ball simply is from the ground up, I foresee much worse than what Evolution did.
    But jus like comics the most movie goer's don't care and haven't read or seen all of DBZ they just wanna see Goku go SS and fight someone.

Astonishing Member

But jus like comics the most movie goer's don't care and haven't read or seen all of DBZ they just wanna see Goku go SS and fight someone.
    Dragonball is one of the world's biggest franchises. People going to watch it will definitely either be 1. Fans, 2. Anime/manga fans in general or 3. People who have watched it/know of it and want to share it with their kids.

Astonishing Member

I have to agree. The fans are wide enough, and vast enough, that any change or alteration Hollywood makes (And they'd have to make a few), would see it absolutely savaged. One just has to see the stink kicked up over Cowboy Bebop and Ghost In The Shell. And, while those are revered properties in their own right, none match up to Dragonball.

Seems the 10 episodes will cover East Blue. Good Lord, just how much will be chopped?
    Everything up until Baratie could be four episodes. They could even give Luffy's backstory in small doses and save an episode. Buggy's arc has no backstory, Captain Morgan doesn't require multiple episodes, Kuro could be stretched out more than anything.

Arlong Park and Baratie are where it gets tricky because you need at least two for Baratie and three for Arlong Park, and that's if they exclude certain elements. Lougetown can easily be one episode but I don't think everything else can be condensed into 10 episodes.

13 seems the most feasible, East Blue is the only thing you can really make short because of its set up, but it moves from place to place its harder to deal with the smaller nuances. I really think its going to go in a slightly different direction for certain plot points.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

I think buggy the clown would probably be the best main villain for the Netflix show.