Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    You can do humor, but a good comedy writer knows when to rein it in and actually have the humor be an integral part of the narrative without derailing it. Thor: Ragnarok needed a balance and any dramatic tension that should have been maintained during, say, Asgards destruction was completely underscored by mistimed gags or one-liners.
    Asgard's destruction is undercut with bathos, while's Odin's death is not. This is a subtle tip-of-the-hat to the idea that people are more important than territory (You could say that's the whole point of the story - Hela is an old Colonialist literally powered by Nationalism).

Valkiria with Zeus Power

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Valkiria with Zeus Power
    So this is a lady Thor/Valk movie with thor as the butt of jokes for 2 hours? Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    So this is a lady Thor/Valk movie with thor as the butt of jokes for 2 hours? Ok.
    Seriously that's what you got from it? Thor had a running gag of him being hit by a van so nothing new if you have issues with him being the butt of a joke.

Personally I think the trailer looks fun.

You must have missed the rest of the trailer which featured Thor (not being the butt of jokes) more than either of them

Ultimate Member

Do you really believe this?

I can't imagine that you or anyone really does.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Do you really believe this?

I can't imagine that you or anyone really does.
    Oh i can certainly imagine Thor being the butt of jokes. He kinda was in all movies he has been in.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Sure, but for the entire duration of all three movies?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Oh i can certainly imagine Thor being the butt of jokes. He kinda was in all movies he has been in.
    I don’t think there’s any movie he’s been in where I’d consider his role as the butt of jokes though - there are certainly jokes at his expense, but he’s never shown as actually being incapable or a character not to be taken seriously. In every movie, especially since Ragnarok, he’s been shown to be pretty damn powerful. I’d argue that he had the biggest crowd reaction in Infinity War.

There are jokes made at almost every hero’s expense in their own movie, it doesn’t equate to that being their character trait

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Ribic is Ribic - nothing will surpass him imo

Having said that, I’ve made my peace that this iteration of Thor is entirely its own thing. It started out quite bland a decade ago, and they managed to make the character and his world more interesting to me with Ragnarok - with that change comes big differences to the source material both aesthetically and themes to ally BUT I can still enjoy it as its own separate thing

This isn’t the same Gorr as the comic version but at the same time, I already feel it’s going to be easier to “connect” with this version of the character than if they had gone full comic accurate. Better to let Christian Bale do his thing imo
    Yeah, the horns and black cape would look more accurate, but Bale might pull this off.

Extraordinary Member

Having said that, I’ve made my peace that this iteration of Thor is entirely its own thing. It started out quite bland a decade ago, and they managed to make the character and his world more interesting to me with Ragnarok - with that change comes big differences to the source material both aesthetically and themes to ally BUT I can still enjoy it as its own separate thing

This isn’t the same Gorr as the comic version but at the same time, I already feel it’s going to be easier to “connect” with this version of the character than if they had gone full comic accurate. Better to let Christian Bale do his thing imo
    Gorr gives me major "Holy Man Gone Mad" vibes with his costume and what we see of his physicality and personality, which I like for the irony of a misotheist who ends up with divine power himself.

And his exchange with Thor implies to me that his chemistry with Thor will be the main feature of their antagonism, even if his threat level encompasses the other characters.

Since the implication of Thor's time with the Asgardians is that he's getting his hands dirty doing hero work, and since Thor is one of the central figures to the Snap being undone, I'm really curious if we'll finally get a villain who's ethos is conflicted a bit by the Avengers having saved half of all known life in the Galaxy - I really wished the Celestials had been confronted by that in Eternals. It might even make a great dramatic moment testing Gorr's own sense of self in a way Bale might dig his teeth into; that while Gorr's trying to improve the Galaxy by killing useless gods, here's one who not only avenged the deaths of half of all of existence, but actively helped restore them to life.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yes, he's been a butt of jokes.

But is that all the movies were about?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Asgard's destruction is undercut with bathos, while's Odin's death is not. This is a subtle tip-of-the-hat to the idea that people are more important than territory (You could say that's the whole point of the story - Hela is an old Colonialist literally powered by Nationalism).
    It also shows they kind of gave up on developing Asgard or just didn't care about it that much.

Well, yeah, because they kind of blew everything up.

I'm only just realizing now that the only major Asgardian character left other than Thor is Valkyrie because they've killed everybody else off (Sif will probably just get a cameo).

It's also weird to think Thor has spent more time interacting with and palling around with Korg, whose only relevance to the Thor franchise was as like a one-shot villain who eventually went in a completely different direction in another title, than he did the Warriors Three.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Was Jane blipped? Seems she got the years wrong. Might help explain a bit more of Thor's depression in Endgame.
    Jane was blipped. The gap in their memories was five years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Marvel have a formula and it is one that they've applied for most of their movies (you have to strip the films back to see it). The house remains the same, it's just that they've applied a different coat of paint each time you visit the house.

Raimi wasn't the first to bring a touch of their own style to the MCU. Gunn was. Gunn's style is so unique and distinctive you can see it a mile off.

Dark and serious aren't the same thing. That's misconception. Superman 1978 is an example of the seriousness I like in my comic book movies. That movie plays it's source material straight and... lo and behold... Not a shadow insight.
    Then what is the formula? I’ve heard it mentioned a lot but no one has ever really explained what it is. What is it? How does it work? Why has no other studio been able to replicate it? Does Feige keep it locked in a vault beneath Marvel Studios?

I have questions.