Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Spider-Man can get pretty dark depending on the interpretation, and they lean into that in adaptions sometimes. I remember how dark Peter David's stuff could get when he was still using the black suit.

I think the darkest Spider-Man stories were probably JM Dematteis on SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (His first run with Sal more so than his later one after the Clone saga).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    (Raises Hand)

I do as well. That's pretty much the theme of his movies. Trying to find himself and being the butt of those jokes. He's a safe target.
    Thor wasn’t the butt of any jokes in TDW and he wasn’t trying to find himself. TDW wasn’t really as funny as the other ones and is the worst of the bunch.

Ragnarok was a comedic film and every major character in the movie except Hela participated (she had some dark one-liners but she wasnt played for laughs at all). Valkyrie was introduced as an unstable drunk that could barely stand, Loki was Loki and even Banner participated in the humor.

Totally, this movie seems to be continuing Ragnarok’s humor which isn’t surprising considering it’s the same director. That plus the fact that Hemsworth is injecting more of himself into the role. The tone isn’t for everybody (I personally wanted something more serious given that Gorr is in the movie) but just because Waititi and Hemsworth is making Thor funny doesn’t mean that it’s automatically a “VaLK/JaNe wuHmeN” movie. That’s a stretch.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-25-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thor wasn’t the butt of any jokes in TDW and he wasn’t trying to find himself. TDW wasn’t really as funny as the other ones and is the worst of the bunch.

Ragnarok was a comedic film and every major character in the movie except Hela participated (she had some dark one-liners but she wasnt played for laughs at all). Valkyrie was introduced as an unstable drunk that could barely stand, Loki was Loki and even Banner participated in the humor.

Totally, this movie seems to be continuing Ragnarok’s humor which isn’t surprising considering it’s the same director. That plus the fact that Hemsworth is injecting more of himself into the role. The tone isn’t for everybody (I personally wanted something more serious given that Gorr is in the movie) but just because Waititi and Hemsworth is making Thor funny doesn’t mean that it’s automatically a “VaLK/JaNe wuHmeN” movie. That’s a stretch.
    I hated how much they made Loki a punchline in Ragnarok. He manages to take over Asgard and fool everyone (except Thor in five seconds once he shows up) and they play it entirely for a joke. And he just gets treated for comedy relief for most of the movie.

I feel like that contributed to them forgetting how powerful and capable he's supposed to be in his own show.

Ultimate Member

I hated how much they made Loki a punchline in Ragnarok. He manages to take over Asgard and fool everyone (except Thor in five seconds once he shows up) and they play it entirely for a joke. And he just gets treated for comedy relief for most of the movie.

I feel like that contributed to them forgetting how powerful and capable he's supposed to be in his own show.
    Loki was nerfed HARD in his tv series. It's like he was just a bit above human.

I remember the writers saying that Thanos strangling him to death was a feat because of how casual it was.

(Raises Hand)

I do as well. That's pretty much the theme of his movies. Trying to find himself and being the butt of those jokes. He's a safe target.
    I'm shocked that no one has caught on to this.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

(Raises Hand)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm shocked that no one has caught on to this.
    Probably got something to do with that it exists in the minds of a handful of folks more than actually being something that is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Probably got something to do with that it exists in the minds of a handful of folks more than actually being something that is taking place.
    Well what can you do, a small handful of people just won't stop believing that Thor had an actual character arc in these movies. Keep the faith, they will come around.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Niffleheim

I absolutely LOVED Loki being the butt of all jokes in Rangnarok because by that point I was tired of him even though I liked the character a lot.

However I can see why ppl view the men as butt of jokes and the women aren't written or portrayed as such but to me since they aren't written as butt of jokes too they seem removed as a result they aren't that memorable because I'm always looking forward to the jokes - the movie is a comedy adventure for crying out loud.
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-26-2022 at 03:57 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ragnarok at least balanced Thor's various humiliations and goofball moments with what were the best Thor action scenes we had seen up to that point: Thor fighting the Hulk, where we saw his skill, speed, and agility (and a little lightning power-up), and the fight on the bridge, where Thor descends crackling with lightning to absolutely destroy the onrushing forces. So we got the awesome stuff more than making up for the goofy bits. We also get finally have it said that Thor's power was in himself, not Mjolnir.

I we get that balance in Love & Thunder I'll be happy, but I already don't like Jane's power seemingly coming from the hammer, and with him having a co-lead who looks to be ultra-competent with no goofy moments of her own I do worry that the balance will be off.

Niffleheim

I agree hopefully Taika can still bring the same balance he had for Ragnarok to Love & Thunder.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Ragnarok at least balanced Thor's various humiliations and goofball moments with what were the best Thor action scenes we had seen up to that point: Thor fighting the Hulk, where we saw his skill, speed, and agility (and a little lightning power-up), and the fight on the bridge, where Thor descends crackling with lightning to absolutely destroy the onrushing forces. So we got the awesome stuff more than making up for the goofy bits. We also get finally have it said that Thor's power was in himself, not Mjolnir.

I we get that balance in Love & Thunder I'll be happy, but I already don't like Jane's power seemingly coming from the hammer, and with him having a co-lead who looks to be ultra-competent with no goofy moments of her own I do worry that the balance will be off.
    Wait a minute. I didn’t read the comic run where Jane becomes Thor but I thought the hammer IS what gives her the power. I mean if you are worthy to pick it up you get the powers of Thor. Like how Cap did in Endgame. Obviously Thor Odinson doesn’t need the hammer to be himself but seems like Jane would need the hammer to empower her. Unless Valkyrie has somehow given her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I absolutely LOVED Loki being the butt of all jokes in Rangnarok because by that point I was tired of him even though I liked the character a lot.

However I can see why ppl view the men as butt of jokes and the women aren't written or portrayed as such but to me since they aren't written as butt of jokes too they seem removed as a result they aren't that memorable because I'm always looking forward to the jokes - the movie is a comedy adventure for crying out loud.
    I guess I get it but I felt like it didn't fit the buildup of his character or his stature and basically took out whatever teeth he had left as a character by that point. And it ruined what could've been a really interesting plot point.
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Wait a minute. I didn’t read the comic run where Jane becomes Thor but I thought the hammer IS what gives her the power. I mean if you are worthy to pick it up you get the powers of Thor. Like how Cap did in Endgame. Obviously Thor Odinson doesn’t need the hammer to be himself but seems like Jane would need the hammer to empower her. Unless Valkyrie has somehow given her powers.
    It hasn't been quite as consistent exactly what wielding Mjolnir gets you. Sometimes you can just wield the hammer but don't get the full lightning powers (which are Thors') other times you basically transform into Thor.

The trailer looked fun. I'm concerned about Gorr but I'm fine with everything else.

Niffleheim

I guess I get it but I felt like it didn't fit the buildup of his character or his stature and basically took out whatever teeth he had left as a character by that point. And it ruined what could've been a really interesting plot point.
    I get it I'm a big fan of Thor and since Loki overshadowed him in Thor and Thor2 I'm glad I didn't start on hating him because Ragnarok made me like him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I get it I'm a big fan of Thor and since Loki overshadowed him in Thor and Thor2 I'm glad I didn't start on hating him because Ragnarok made me like him a lot.
    I don't know about Thor 1 because I feel like he got adequate development as a villain and nemesis before Thor finally beat him...Thor 2 I can understand because they gave him more screentime at the expense of everything else, but I don't think justified his use in Ragnarok.

Then again they also used Surtur for comedy so I'm not sure what I should've expected. Definitely not the "for Asgard, for Midgard, for myself" moment .