Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If it works for mutants, it works for Gods

Especially when Gods aren't as all powerful as they are presented in religion/church.
    But it doesn't really work for mutants, though. That's why they're a very poor stand-in for actual minorities.

If it works for mutants, it works for Gods

Especially when Gods aren't as all powerful as they are presented in religion/church.
    Its arguable from different people's points of view. I remember Roger Ebert's review of one of the X-Men movies, that, in some ways, the comparison to real life bigotry, while admirable, fails. Its less, "Do you want a racial/ ethnic minority/ gay person, living in your neighborhood as "Do you want an intelligent atomic bomb living there. Oh, it's a nice atomic bomb but if it loses its temper for one instant..."

Although, honestly, it annoyed me in the first Thor movie how they weren't gods but aliens. But, that's the choice the producers made. Now, suddenly, in something as finite as a movie series, they suddenly are gods.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And the power levels were all over the place and dependent on the plot.

I guess it's a testament to LoT power that even when it financially did well enough it still gets lumped into another MCU failure by being one of their most critically panned films .
    That's just a testament to some peoples bias.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    But it doesn't really work for mutants, though. That's why they're a very poor stand-in for actual minorities.
    At least when you think deeper into the allegory, though it hasn't hurt their effect or popularity.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's just a testament to some peoples bias.
    I don't think I've seen bias this overwhelming in a while...feels like it's like the opposite reaction to Ragnarok.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

At least when you think deeper into the allegory, though it hasn't hurt their effect or popularity.

I don't think I've seen bias this overwhelming in a while...feels like it's like the opposite reaction to Ragnarok.
    It's literally just bias though, every objective fact is contrary to the opinion that it under-performed and wasn't received well by the wider audience. It's a kind of bias I've always found weird, like why do you have to pretend that others didn't care for something that you didn't like?

I have no problem for instance saying that The Batman was not my favorite interpretation of the character and I don't need to try and pretend that my opinion is the norm and that it wasn't well received by the general audience. Contrariwise, I really loved both John Carter and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and don't care that they weren't commercially successful.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

A lot of these naysayers (Youtubers like the Drinker) make this weird correlation that they themselves didn't like it, therefore it wasn't a financial hit (or ratings hit when talking about a show they don't like). It hard to take them seriously when they do this, and makes any point they may have had about its quality lost within that frankly dishonest premise.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Its arguable from different people's points of view. I remember Roger Ebert's review of one of the X-Men movies, that, in some ways, the comparison to real life bigotry, while admirable, fails. Its less, "Do you want a racial/ ethnic minority/ gay person, living in your neighborhood as "Do you want an intelligent atomic bomb living there. Oh, it's a nice atomic bomb but if it loses its temper for one instant..."

Although, honestly, it annoyed me in the first Thor movie how they weren't gods but aliens. But, that's the choice the producers made. Now, suddenly, in something as finite as a movie series, they suddenly are gods.
    Getting out of the weeds for a moment, I'd like to see that we can all agree that killing an entire ethnic group for the actions of one is racism, regardless of the group in question.

Gorr is like a reverse Jack Chick tract.

"Gods are real and jerks? I'ma kill them all!"

A big problem with a lot of comicbook movies that aren't MCU is that they try to adapt big stories while ignoring the effort that made them work in the comics themselves. MCU itself isn't immune to that problem

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    A lot of these naysayers (Youtubers like the Drinker) make this weird correlation that they themselves didn't like it, therefore it wasn't a financial hit (or ratings hit when talking about a show they don't like). It hard to take them seriously when they do this, and makes any point they may have had about its quality lost within that frankly dishonest premise.
    Although I would say that irregardless of it's financial success it feels like the movies' issues outshine it in a way that it didn't with Ragnarok.

Although I would say that irregardless of it's financial success it feels like the movies' issues outshine it in a way that it didn't with Ragnarok.
    Right but the people talking about the issues keep conflating it with being a financial bomb. It would be no different if they did the inverse, both would be wrong.

Getting out of the weeds for a moment, I'd like to see that we can all agree that killing an entire ethnic group for the actions of one is racism, regardless of the group in question.
    Gods aren't an ethnic group though. The more apt parallel would be to compare them to aristocrats, people with power over ordinary people who can run the gamut from cruel to neglectful to kind.

Of course, the villain then becomes some kind of violent revolutionary republican (not the party) or anarchist in that comparison.

People get angry at their God(s) all the time in real life.

Astonishing Member

Ragnarok was more universally loved by both critics and audiences. L&T definitely had issues as evidenced by critics and people outside this forum.

Gorr is like a reverse Jack Chick tract.

"Gods are real and jerks? I'ma kill them all!"

A big problem with a lot of comicbook movies that aren't MCU is that they try to adapt big stories while ignoring the effort that made them work in the comics themselves. MCU itself isn't immune to that problem
    Yeah, I think we all agree that, "If one of them did it, they all did it", is a central tenant of bigotry.

Ouch! You mentioned Jack Chick, a guy so ridiculous that other Fundamentalists asked him to stop his hate and misrepresenting evidence.

Love and Thunder certainly takes a comic book story and does a poor job with it. It turns it into a semi-comedy and a fluff version of the story. Thor is still basically comedy Thor. They couldn't use Odin as the main villain for a lot of it since he was already dead in the MCU. The gods who do appear, like Zeus, have to be reduced to trivialized comedic caricatures. And I'm still rolling my eyes at how Thor insists they need the Lightning Bolt of Zeus. Dude, you're the God of Thunder in your own "mythology".
    Power with Girl is better.