Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thor: Love And Thunder 'Here There Be Spoilers'

I searched and didn't find a thread on this. If I somehow missed it, mods please merge.

Continuing the 80's vibe from Ragnarok. Nice.

I'm very much looking forward to this one.
    Power with Girl is better.

This is probably one of the more low-key Marvel teasers for a movie I have ever seen, going more into Thor's character and emotional arc than the actual plot. I don't think Gorr is even in it, at least that I can see.

That runthrough of the phases of Thors' life! Classic Thor !

"I need to figure out exactly who I am" - Because my characterization tends to change to whatever the movie needs me to be.

I'm guessing Thor goes on an initial mission with the Guardians at the start of the movie, but, not fitting in or feeling it, they have to leave him behind so he can find himself again. Also, Mantis with a gun.

Olympus looks suitably epic and like an even harder Sci-Fi Asgard .

Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder!

Well, at least now the Asgardians have their flying viking ships back in New Asgard, but they're taking meetings in business suits. I don't like modern mundane Asgard .

We finally see Jane at the end during what looks like a big viking battle in a city.

Seeing Thor training with chains to lose weight. I'll say it now- it was a tremendous miss for him NOT to be training with Star Lord's Bowflex.

Honestly, it was kind of a Meh trailer for me. Probably because I wanted to see more of Female Thor than I got.

[IMG][/IMG]

The very definition of a teaser!

I imagine this is pretty much the beginning of the movie. And I’d wager that the shot of Thor and Korg overlooking that massive dead creature is Gorr’s first victim that Thor sees.

It could be a very interesting dynamic to see Gorr facing off against a content Thor who feels he’s done with fighting. I’m sure that would anger gorr more

I wonder if Thor meditating at that tree will involve him hearing prayers?

Astonishing Member

Fun that we are getting more of the Marvel Pantheon of Gods in the MCU. We will have Olympus and the Greek gods here it looks like and we are getting Egyptian pantheon in Moon Knight to go along with the Asgardians we have had from the start.

Mighty Member

Default Thor Ragnarok and Thor Love and Thunder

So T:R came out and Taika Waititi was hailed a unique director. Scarlett Johannson latter worked with him on JOJO Rabbit which got great praise. People and critics loved Ragnarok for the humor and action. Where Thor The Dark world was felt to be too serious Ragnarok felt like a breath of fresh air? So why when Love and Thunder comes out which had the same bread and butter as Ragnarok action and humor then the consensus was "IT'S TOO SILLY?" Wouldn't say Taika is blacklisted but he took a hit with this. What went wrong?

The issue Love & Thunder's humor is it took a lot of things that were amusing in Ragnarok, cranked them up, and took them too far.

Korg was a funny enough side character in Ragnarok with a few quirky lines.
    In Love & Thunder, he's a near constant presence and he never shuts up.

In Ragnarok, there was a brief gag where Thor is lamenting his destroyed hammer and it's pointed out it's almost like he lost a friend.
    In Love & Thunder, this becomes a running thing where Thor treats the hammer like a ex-girlfriend and pet, chatting with it and sharing drinks, while Stormbreak gets jealous over his shoulder.

As goofy as Thor acted in Ragnarok, he never lost sight of the fact Asgard was in danger and Hela needed to be stopped as soon as possible. He got serious when the situation demanded it.
    In Love & Thunder, he's oblivious. His first scene features him cracking jokes and acting like a doofus while people are literally dying around him.

And that's really the long and short of it. Jokes require timing and, if they go on too long, become irritating. Love & Thunder took everything funny about Ragnarok and ran it into the ground. And that humor engulfs the entire movie, smothering any stakes, gravity and goodwill from the previous film.

Serious answer: Ragnarok had music by Mark Mothersbaugh, and is therefore way better.

Joke answer: Love And Thunder makes the mistake of many comedy sequels, which is to take the moments from the first film that are (rightly or wrongly) considered to be the funniest, and not only replay them, but replay them to an extent that the audience gets bored of them. Korg had some great bathetic moments in Ragnarok, so in Love & Thunder Korg is on many more scenes to say slightly inappropriate things in response to literally everything that happens.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The issue Love & Thunder's humor is it took a lot of things that were amusing in Ragnarok, cranked them up, and took them too far.

Korg was a funny enough side character in Ragnarok with a few quirky lines.
    In Love & Thunder, he's a near constant presence and he never shuts up.

In Ragnarok, there was a brief gag where Thor is lamenting his destroyed hammer and it's pointed out it's almost like he lost a friend.
    In Love & Thunder, this becomes a running thing where Thor treats the hammer like a ex-girlfriend and pet, chatting with it and sharing drinks, while Stormbreak gets jealous over his shoulder.

As goofy as Thor acted in Ragnarok, he never lost sight of the fact Asgard was in danger and Hela needed to be stopped as soon as possible. He got serious when the situation demanded it.
    In Love & Thunder, he's oblivious. His first scene features him cracking jokes and acting like a doofus while people are literally dying around him.

And that's really the long and short of it. Jokes require timing and, if they go on too long, become irritating. Love & Thunder took everything funny about Ragnarok and ran it into the ground. And that humor engulfs the entire movie, smothering any stakes, gravity and goodwill from the previous film.
    This basically sums it up.

It's worth noting that Waititi didn't write Ragnarok (Kyle and Yost had a big hand in that film) but wrote L&T (that's clearly where the problem begun).

Waititi took the stuff that worked (and some that didn't) in Ragnarok and cranked it to 11.

Love and Thunder didn't feel like a labor of love, it felt like Waititi was parodying the story he was trying to tell. It wasn't really a surprise when Waititi came out to say he didn't really care for Thor or the comics (implication of this is that he probably lied to get the gig in the first place which says something about him).
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-05-2024 at 08:34 AM.

The first Avengers movie and the first couple of Thor movies tried to do Thor like he was in the original comics. All stuffy and talking with this weird Medieval language to sound old or something. Its telling and hilarious that one of the most successful laughs in the original Avengers movie was when Tony was mocking Thor.

Luckily Marvel learned and made Thor be a funny guy instead. It plays into Hemsworth's strength more and is way more entertaining.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So T:R came out and Taika Waititi was hailed a unique director. Scarlett Johannson latter worked with him on JOJO Rabbit which got great praise. People and critics loved Ragnarok for the humor and action. Where Thor The Dark world was felt to be too serious Ragnarok felt like a breath of fresh air? So why when Love and Thunder comes out which had the same bread and butter as Ragnarok action and humor then the consensus was "IT'S TOO SILLY?" Wouldn't say Taika is blacklisted but he took a hit with this. What went wrong?
    Didn't he get to write Love and Blunder as well as direct? Perhaps he's not suited to do both for the same project, or not suited to writing at all?

i wasn't a fan of Ragnarok either. not that it was bad but just wasn't what i wanted in a Thor movie.

Another problem with Love & Thunder is that it seemed kinda similar to Avengers: Infinity War & Endgame, with Gorr having similar motives and actions to Thanos, in a story resolved with a heroic sacrifice from someone who had been in the series since the beginning.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets