Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    That what I mean though when he came to Earth go kill some named Gods instead of the kids storyline that was useless. Kill some named gods, Sif was already hunting him. Thor etc. didn't need the children storyline at all.

Even the final battle you sideline Valkyrie with an injury and give all those kids a showcase they didn't need. It could have been more screentime for Valkryie fighting with them imo. I also would have used more Guardians. I think it would have made a far more compelling story.

I mean I didn't hate the movie but when I'm watching it and I see entire storylines I would completely drop that serve no purpose that is an issue.

I sort of liked the kids. That was different for a Marvel movie. I agree there are a few things if I was writing this movie I would have done a little differently. However overall I think the main storylines with Gorr, and Jane were resolved very well.

I found that MoM had a lot of humor. It was just Raimi humor with a very dark overtone. The whole sequence when Strange inhabits his own dead body was hilarious in a Raimi way. His second Evil Dead movie has some incredibly dark stuff but it also has homages to the Three Stooges and so on. Then Army of Darkness cranks that up to 1,000.

Waititi is in that vein. He's just going to keep cranking up the humor. For me, Ragnarok and Thunder had about the same levels. The difference is that Thunder had more of a balance towards visual humor than verbal humor (for instance, the entire Asgard as tourist destination sequence).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Thor Love and Thunder is the "Batman and Robin" of the MCU.
    The biggest problem with that is the failed Thor gags never quite cross over into "so bad they're good" territory.

Arnie's horrid one-liners are actually a lot of fun because of how terrible they are, whereas the goats are just annoying.

T:L&T is a mixed bag for me, some parts landed really well and others fell with a horrendous thud, but it never quite coheres. I feel like it's the kind of movie I'll catch on cable and space out for the parts I'm not engaged with.

Ultimate Member

Finally saw Thor 4. It wasn't very good.

The humor just didn't work and the tone of the movie was all over the place. The movie felt very rushed and it's as if Waititi and co didn't really have a concrete plot for their movie.

The movie's saving grace was its visuals, action, and Christian Bale's performance. It's one of the worse MCU movies IMO.

BANNED

Is it me or Phase 4 is not what Marvel hoped to be so far (excluding NWH of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Is it me or Phase 4 is not what Marvel hoped to be so far (excluding NWH of course)?
    They are not following a clear line and experimenting.

Arrow

2 out of 5 a bit below average but nothing terrible, IMHO. Truthfully, so far Phase Four has been mostly (I did enjoy Ms. Marvel and Shang Chi) meh to me....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Just saw this movie today and I thought it was a lot of fun. It's just that the comedy sections did detract from the tragedy of Gor being conveyed as well as it could have. Both Gor and Jane had a very touching resoultions to their situations.

I'm fine with Natalie Portman as Jane and I don't get all the hate about her. I thought she did well in her arc and I was surprised that she looked pretty credible in the battle scenes. She looked like she really was getting into the character of Lady Thor.

Russell Crowe was over the top as Zeus and he did sound more like Chico Marx than a Greek god. But I liked it. And who the heck knows how the ancient Greeks would sound anyway? spoilers:
    I'm glad his character isn't dead and could come back to prep Hercules for a battle with Thor. From what I saw the actor needs to bulk up though!
    end of spoilers

I had to laugh at the obscure reference to a Sci Fi film that I think unjustly gets a bad reputation. When Jane is explaining space travel, she uses the same explanation that Sam Neill (who is Odin in the stage play) uses as Dr. Weir in "Event Horizon" Jane even mentions the movie in the scene. Wasn't expecting that.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-17-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Just saw this movie today and I thought it was a lot of fun. It's just that the comedy sections did detract from the tragedy of Gor being conveyed as well as it could have. Both Gor and Jane had a very touching resoultions to their situations.
    At least those and Gorr becoming the Butcher are when the movie wisely avoided not being serious.

I'm fine with Natalie Portman as Jane and I don't get all the hate about her. I thought she did well in her arc and I was surprised that she looked pretty credible in the battle scenes. She looked like she really was getting into the character of Lady Thor.
    Other than trying too hard with catchphrases I thought she was lovely. Also liked the breaking hammer move.

I had to laugh at the obscure reference to a Sci Fi film that I think is unjustly gets a bad reputation. When Jane is explaining space travel, she uses the same explanation that Sam Neill (who is Odin in the stage play) uses as Dr. Weir in "Event Horizon" Jane even mentions the movie in the scene. Wasn't expecting that.
    I hope Love and Thunder brought new viewers to Event Horizon and Multiverse of Madness made some discover Evil Dead.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The humor just didn't work and the tone of the movie was all over the place.
    The screening I was in laughed their asses off the entire movie, so the humour clearly did "work", maybe what you mean is that you personally didn't like it?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Most of those whose opinions I respect...
    Out of curiosity, do you respect them because they are well thought out or because they agree with you?
    Last edited by SpiderTBliss; 07-16-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Hold up is Thor's new codename Thunder now? And the little girl is love and is he's sidekick? Also if Gorr just wanted to bring he's kid back to life why didn't he just ask Thor for help?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Hold up is Thor's new codename Thunder now? And the little girl is love and is he's sidekick? Also if Gorr just wanted to bring he's kid back to life why didn't he just ask Thor for help?
    You'd have no movie otherwise lol.

I don't think Gorr thought of bringing his daughter back. Not until Thor made him realise that was what he truly wanted. Up until that point he was wanting to kill all the gods due to the influence of the Necrosword. By the time he is in audience with Eternity, the sword had been destroyed. So he could think clearer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Russell Crowe was over the top as Zeus and he did sound more like Chico Marx than a Greek god. But I liked it. And who the heck knows how the ancient Greeks would sound anyway? spoilers:
    I'm glad his character isn't dead and could come back to prep Hercules for a battle with Thor. From what I saw the actor needs to bulk up though!
    end of spoilers

I had to laugh at the obscure reference to a Sci Fi film that I think is unjustly gets a bad reputation. When Jane is explaining space travel, she uses the same explanation that Sam Neill (who is Odin in the stage play) uses as Dr. Weir in "Event Horizon" Jane even mentions the movie in the scene. Wasn't expecting that.

I agree. I can see how this movie isn't for everyone. That being said I thought it did Great with Jane and Gor. And I also loved Crowe. But there are many people who just don't like this type of stuff. I get it. Certain things don't work. Especially when it comes to humor. Maybe the most subjective thing in life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    They are not following a clear line and experimenting.
    They better get their act together because this Phase is starting to emit serious DCEU vibes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderTBliss View Post
    The screening I was in laughed their asses off the entire movie, so the humour clearly did "work", maybe what you mean is that you personally didn't like it?

Out of curiosity, do you respect them because they are well thought out or because they agree with you?
    As far as the humor, or whether a movie is "good" or "bad", those things are clearly opinion statements and should be treated as such. Pointing out that they're opinions that are not shared with others is akin to pointing out water is wet, and adds nothing to the conversation that was not already inherently understood.

As far as opinions and respecting them, as I said before there are people that are willing to settle for less and will like anything Disney pumps out in the superhero or Star Wars line. That's f##king fantastic for them, it's always better to like most things than only certain things, but it does mean I can't give much weight to their opinions when they like 3 day old popcorn they forgot in their car as much as a professionally cooked meal at a fancy restaurant.

When a person shows they're more discerning, and of course when their opinions at times align with mine (though if you're not someone who likes everything you come across there are often going to be things only you like or few folk you'll meet in real life do), that gives more weight to their opinion. The guy giving 5 stars to the hot dogs down at the gas station and to the Michelin-rated restaurant he'll eat at during a convention trip? Not so much.

If that needed to be pointed out, this is only my opinion.