Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

nice movie. like the jokes ... maybe they made too much fun of Zeus but otherwise i like it. same for the kids they like it too

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    My one complaint or plot hole(imo) in the movie was Thor's powering of the children temporarily against Gorr's creatures. If he had that ability he could have just created his own super, super powerful army by bringing along a few Asgardian soldiers(wouldn't need many with all of them having Thor's power) and powering them and Valkyrie up. This complaint is nothing new in the comics or movies though, and is pretty much an often used trope at this point. I have never understood why if Odin could give someone the power of Thor no problem through Mjolnir or Stormbreaker in the comics, that he could not just do that with anyone he wants and have an invincible army of Thor level beings(you wouldn't need many to be unstoppable). Same goes for a lot of cosmic and mystical weapons in the comics and movies that can seemingly effortlessly and with no consequences give people incredible levels of powers, but are never duplicated and used en masse.
    IIRC correctly, Val and Thor said other than Odin, Zues' weapon had the ability to imbue power
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Thor Love and Thunder is the "Batman and Robin" of the MCU.
    I still liked the movie overall but the comparison amuses me.

I'm sure they had their own credit card in New Asgard, we just didn't see it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It would take time and effort to create armor for the other Avengers.

Thor seemed able to empower others effortlessly, on a whim.

I loved the fight scenes overall, but damn if the team meant to handle internal logic fell asleep at the switch.

Instead of constant mood whiplash, maybe develop the mythos some? Why the hell was Eternity a guy who granted wishes? Why was the Bifrost what Gorr needed?

I wish the MCU movies didn't automatically gravitate towards the biggest and latest villains, because Gorr isn't that great a villain, all things considered.
    Did you see how many suits of armor he made in Iron Man 3? Pepper has her own suit. Just because it would take longer doesn’t mean he couldn’t do it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    IIRC correctly, Val and Thor said other than Odin, Zues' weapon had the ability to imbue power
    I don't remember if anyone said something about that, but I just assumed it was a perk from being a weapon from such a high ranking god. They went out of the way to steal it after all.

I also didn't like the ending to Gorr's story arc.

The touchy-feely turning over a new leaf motivated by his child reminded me of the similar dissatsfying ending to Wonder Woman 1984. Very anticlimactic way to resolve a villain who wasn't very threatening to begin with due to Waititi's willingness to throw the character under the bus for the sake of a joke every chance he got.

Like others have said, this felt more like a parody of a Thor movie rather than the real thing-- sort of like a big budget SNL sketch.

I also didn't like the ending to Gorr's story arc.

The touchy-feely turning over a new leaf motivated by his child reminded me of the similar dissatsfying ending to Wonder Woman 1984. Very anticlimactic way to resolve a villain who wasn't very threatening to begin with due to Waititi's willingness to throw the character under the bus for the sake of a joke every chance he got.

Like others have said, this felt more like a parody of a Thor movie rather than the real thing-- sort of like a big budget SNL sketch.
    What? Max literally was about to lose his kid before renouncing his wish, snd Gort dying with hate would mean nothing even with all the gods dead. He wasn't beat with thunder but his love.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Wow. This was... awful. Absolutely awful. I'm not sure it eclipses Dark World as the worst MCU movie ever, but it's vying for #2. Can't decide if I'd rather be bored watching Eternals again, or treated to this camp, utterly nonsensical travesty one more time.

This left comedy behind and went full on farce. There's taking a piss and there's just pissing on the characters, and this was easily in the latter camp. Even Jane was treated like a complete joke, save for when they wanted to reach for pathos to try and pretend at a serious scene here and there. By the time Gorr was playing Goosebumps story teller to the kids and the film introduced Russell Crowe in a role absolutely certain to win a Razzie or two I had completely checked out. And the ending somehow makes it even worse.

Good lord. I loved Ragnarok, I thought it hit most of it's notes just right. But this was Waititi unchained and he made an absolutely TERRIBLE film. Marvel, if this is the best you can do with Thor as a franchise character just let it die. This isn't just an outright flop of a film it's a complete embarrassment. And, sadly, it's going to make bank at the box office and reward everyone involved in this mess. Ugh. Phase 4 is now two utterly forgettable films (Black Widow and Shang-Chi), two absolute stinkers (Eternals and Love and Thunder), and a fun bit of nonsense that just comes in kind of middling in Doctor Strange. Thank god for Disney + shows or there wouldn't be hardly anything MCU worth watching.
    Hey now. Shang-Chi was a damn good movie, with one of the best villains Marvel has ever given us in Wenwu. And I enjoyed Black Widow, though the whole movie suffers because you know exactly how it has to end- with Natasha alive to go off to fight Thanos, and with Yelena introduced to be the new Black Widow post-Endgame. Eternals... yeah. I need to go back and watch it again, but that was a movie I didn't really enjoy the first time. And Doctor Strange was a fun movie.

I thought this was a complete waste of Gorr and Bale, there needed to be waymore god butchering that what was shown. The could've subbed some of those lame screaming goat scenes for some more violence.

Also this was funnier than the actual jokes in the movie

Last edited by 9th.; 07-10-2022 at 07:19 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

I was whelmed.

I got a lot of very mild laughs, but never anything uproarious. The tonal shifts are very jarring, moreso than even Ragnarok, which pulled off the comedy better. Some of the jokes here would have felt lazy and clichéd in a superhero movie 10 years ago.

The god hammers now have intelligence and personality like Dr. Strange's cape, and he talks to thrm. Sorry, but that wasn't a thing all in the 6 previous movies featuring Thor.

Bale is a really good villain but he's not in it nearly enough. And when he is around, he's in a completely different movie from what every other scene is.

The MacGuffin was lazy and has poorly considered ramifications. It sure seems like the of Endgame was pointless, they had a much easier option. And the way the problem gets solved here was blindingly obvious.

On the plus side, it's still more memorable than The Dark World. The action was better and more plentiful than I expected.

Marvel's continued insistence on trying to brand Jane Thor/Lady Thor as "Mighty Thor" only ensures I will never call her that. The Mighty Thor is already one of his monikers!

There are some scenes that look great, but quite a lot of embarrassingly bad CG. The latter is becoming more and more common in Marvel. It's a sign they just don't care, it's just more content to be pushed out each quarter and they figure it's guaranteed profit.

It's way better than Eternals. Certainly not a bottom tier MCU entry. But if you're not a "gotta see em all in theaters!" sort, and are on the fence about going, I doubt you'll regret waiting till it's on streaming.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

This was basically one giant classic rock, GnR music video. Bale was absolutely wasted, Gor the god butcher didn't butcher anyone lmao. Characters go through zero arcs, Valkyrie and Corg are just there, Jane as been gone for so long it's hard to resonate with any of her story and Thor has just regressed. The ending makes no sense, why did he take it upon himself to raise the kid? He had zero connection with Gor. Basically this entire film was pointless other than to make Thor a dad... 2 hours when all we needed was a scene of Thor having a one night stand job done next movie.

There were so many awkward moments when jokes didn't land, the screaming goats, the hammer love triangle, Jane's catchphrases AND THEY KEPT GOING BACK TO THEM...

Phase 4 has been a wash. You'd think Marvel would take more risks but instead they doubled down on the MCUness. BW should have been a gritty spy thriller not a typical explosion MCU movie with dreadful comedy, Dr Strange should have committed to being a pure horror movie etc

That all said I still prefer this to Ragnarok because this film was pointless and so stuff being undercut with dreadful jokes didn't matter much if that makes sense.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member

This movie was just bad. Good actors couldn’t save a bad script. The goats were just annoying. Special effect looked like they were done during the 50s. Zeus was just a stupid character. The only good thing about The Eternals is that it saved Thor:L&T from being the worst Marvel film.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Thor Love and Thunder is the "Batman and Robin" of the MCU.
    Not quite to that level. If there is/were a middle movie for Batman between Forever and B&R, then Thor L&T would be it.

The film is a step down from Ragnarok but still enjoyable. This early after seeing it I'm just not sure how re-watchable it is in the Pantheon of MCU films.
    They did the classic Hollywood trope of analyzing what we liked about Raganarok and turning the dial up on that, luckily they didn't go full blown Batman and Robin.
    Guardians of the Galaxy were completely wasted in this film. Worthless screen time that meant nothing really. They could've chosen to show a "sulking Thor" other ways. They took the dial 1/2 as far but need to dial it back down for what is likely to be the inevitable Thor 5. Lets face it Hemmsworth doesn't have anything else going so he'll do it if Feige wants to.

Gor the God Butcher deserved more of a serious fight without the Asgardian Kids side show act. The film started serious with he and his daughter and ends with her and Thor in silly tussle on some planet.
    Also, why does she have powers?

Grade: B, but could do down if eventual re-watches show it doesn't hold up over time.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    This movie was just bad. Good actors couldn’t save a bad script. The goats were just annoying. Special effect looked like they were done during the 50s. Zeus was just a stupid character. The only good thing about The Eternals is that it saved Thor:L&T from being the worst Marvel film.
    I mean Thor: The Dark Kingdom still exists
    "This is me being reasonable"

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Saw it.

Wish I enjoyed it more, but I didn't.

I got worried when Darcy showed up but thank god, she was only in that brief scene.

Dovetailing what others have said as I agree with it, is the movie leaned too hard into the comedic stuff which took away from the serious scenes and the weight and impact they should have had.

I hated the casting of Natalie Portman in the first Thor. Still don't like her and wished they had cast someone else. Or pulled a Cheadle and recast her. Like, who would have really noticed?

Some of the scenes in there I swear you would come up with when you are high...screaming goats, all the Zeus stuff, Korg being a talking face, Valkyrie strapping him to the back of her head....you think it up when you are blazed as hell, then you come back to earth and write actual decent scenes, but no, they went with the Taika was high af script apparently.

Thought the powered up kids was a bit much.

The weapons being basically sentient now? Like...uh....wtf? Wouldn't surprise me if Taika directed Thor 5 if the weapons would be talking at that point.

Sif is alive....and...just there for a quick joke. Great.

I am fine with the What If Thor being the party, dude bro version of Thor. Having the live action one be that way, I'm basically over it at this point. Just over it.

The best part of the movie for me was Hercules as it got my mind wandering to the possibilities of him coming in and he and Thor scrapping. Last time Thor fought a fellow hero, and only time, was Hulk from the first Avengers and that has not aged well.

I thought the GoTG were on brand for them and I didn't think they were in there too long.

Overall I didn't hate the movie. But its low on my top MCU movie list and I doubt I will spend much time rewatching it more than to have it as background noise when I am putting model kits together or doing some script writing.

The Dark World and Ironman 3 still have this movie beat for worst MCU films.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia