Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So T:R came out and Taika Waititi was hailed a unique director. Scarlett Johannson latter worked with him on JOJO Rabbit which got great praise. People and critics loved Ragnarok for the humor and action. Where Thor The Dark world was felt to be too serious Ragnarok felt like a breath of fresh air? So why when Love and Thunder comes out which had the same bread and butter as Ragnarok action and humor then the consensus was "IT'S TOO SILLY?" Wouldn't say Taika is blacklisted but he took a hit with this. What went wrong?
    Didn't he get to write Love and Blunder as well as direct? Perhaps he's not suited to do both for the same project, or not suited to writing at all?

i wasn't a fan of Ragnarok either. not that it was bad but just wasn't what i wanted in a Thor movie.

Another problem with Love & Thunder is that it seemed kinda similar to Avengers: Infinity War & Endgame, with Gorr having similar motives and actions to Thanos, in a story resolved with a heroic sacrifice from someone who had been in the series since the beginning.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Another problem with Love & Thunder is that it seemed kinda similar to Avengers: Infinity War & Endgame, with Gorr having similar motives and actions to Thanos, in a story resolved with a heroic sacrifice from someone who had been in the series since the beginning.
    Thanos was way better executed though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The issue Love & Thunder's humor is it took a lot of things that were amusing in Ragnarok, cranked them up, and took them too far.

Korg was a funny enough side character in Ragnarok with a few quirky lines.
    In Love & Thunder, he's a near constant presence and he never shuts up.

In Ragnarok, there was a brief gag where Thor is lamenting his destroyed hammer and it's pointed out it's almost like he lost a friend.
    In Love & Thunder, this becomes a running thing where Thor treats the hammer like a ex-girlfriend and pet, chatting with it and sharing drinks, while Stormbreak gets jealous over his shoulder.

As goofy as Thor acted in Ragnarok, he never lost sight of the fact Asgard was in danger and Hela needed to be stopped as soon as possible. He got serious when the situation demanded it.
    In Love & Thunder, he's oblivious. His first scene features him cracking jokes and acting like a doofus while people are literally dying around him.

And that's really the long and short of it. Jokes require timing and, if they go on too long, become irritating. Love & Thunder took everything funny about Ragnarok and ran it into the ground. And that humor engulfs the entire movie, smothering any stakes, gravity and goodwill from the previous film.
    This basically sums it up.

It's worth noting that Waititi didn't write Ragnarok (Kyle and Yost had a big hand in that film) but wrote L&T (that's clearly where the problem begun).

Waititi took the stuff that worked (and some that didn't) in Ragnarok and cranked it to 11.

Love and Thunder didn't feel like a labor of love, it felt like Waititi was parodying the story he was trying to tell. It wasn't really a surprise when Waititi came out to say he didn't really care for Thor or the comics (implication of this is that he probably lied to get the gig in the first place which says something about him).
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-05-2024 at 08:34 AM.

The first Avengers movie and the first couple of Thor movies tried to do Thor like he was in the original comics. All stuffy and talking with this weird Medieval language to sound old or something. Its telling and hilarious that one of the most successful laughs in the original Avengers movie was when Tony was mocking Thor.

Luckily Marvel learned and made Thor be a funny guy instead. It plays into Hemsworth's strength more and is way more entertaining.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think the problem with Gorr is that his motivations simply aren't relatable.

He was betrayed by his Gods (which don't exist), so he wants to kill all Gods (which again, aren't real) because there's no afterlife (something we can't prove).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The first Avengers movie and the first couple of Thor movies tried to do Thor like he was in the original comics. All stuffy and talking with this weird Medieval language to sound old or something. Its telling and hilarious that one of the most successful laughs in the original Avengers movie was when Tony was mocking Thor.

Luckily Marvel learned and made Thor be a funny guy instead. It plays into Hemsworth's strength more and is way more entertaining.
    I think they pretty much ran the course for "Funny Guy" Thor in LoT.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

He was betrayed by his Gods (which don't exist), so he wants to kill all Gods (which again, aren't real) because there's no afterlife (something we can't prove).
    I think people could relate to him just fine it's just that he was not the kind of villain you deliver in what's basically a comedy action film.

There was a running gag of Thor getting hit by Jane's car in the 1st film so I always found MCU Thor comical.

Well, you probably shouldn't be watching any Thor movies if that's a deal breaker for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There was a running gag of Thor getting hit by Jane's car in the 1st film so I always found MCU Thor comical.
    Thor can have comedy (I mean, that's literally what the Warriors Three are supposed to be for) but I don't think it should be an overly comedic property.

Am I the only one who actually likes the dark world?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Well, you probably shouldn't be watching any Thor movies if that's a deal breaker for you.
    Eh, not really. Thor's a noble hero and all that jazz.

But it's hard to feel anything when a person lodges complaints against a fictional people with no real world comparison. As I've said elsewhere about Gorr, if he were talking about anyone else, he'd be considered a raging racist.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Am I the only one who actually likes the dark world?
    Yes.

Authorities have been notified. Make peace with your family.

Eh, not really. Thor's a noble hero and all that jazz.

But it's hard to feel anything when a person lodges complaints against a fictional people with no real world comparison. As I've said elsewhere about Gorr, if he were talking about anyone else, he'd be considered a raging racist.
    I think people can relate to putting your faith into something and not getting anything back for said faith, or the idea that the Gods you believe in don't really care about you at all.

It's just the point is supposed to be that not all Gods are like that, especially not Thor. That was Aaron's point but it got kind of muddled in Waititi's movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think people can relate to putting your faith into something and not getting anything back for said faith, or the idea that the Gods you believe in don't really care about you at all.

It's just the point is supposed to be that not all Gods are like that, especially not Thor. That was Aaron's point but it got kind of muddled in Waititi's movie.
    Aaron's point was BS, like I said, all but racism. Said out loud, it looks as dumb as it is.