Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    A review compared the movie to Batman and Robin. I can believe it could be that bad since Marvel has been loosing their shit for years now.
    Batman and Robin is utter garbage. I think the reviewer must have been tripping on bad ‘shrooms. Either that or they just hate Hemsworth for those arms. Mmmmmmm….
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Mighty Member

I loved it. My favorite moment was the flashback scenes of Thor and Jane showing why they broke up.

I'm really torn about this one.

On one hand, there are things in this I want to see. Jane as the Mighty Thor. Christian Bale as Gorr.

On the other hand, while I really liked Ragnarök, the humor I'm seeing in the trailers really feels like it's too much. Russell Crow as Zeus feels like Matt Damon as Thor in Loki's play. And that's not something I enjoy.

I know I will be seeing this, but I'm not rushing out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

On one hand, there are things in this I want to see. Jane as the Mighty Thor. Christian Bale as Gorr.

On the other hand, while I really liked Ragnarök, the humor I'm seeing in the trailers really feels like it's too much. Russell Crow as Zeus feels like Matt Damon as Thor in Loki's play. And that's not something I enjoy.

I might rush to see this on dvd, but the only thing that interests me about this movie is the cameo at the end.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Exactly my thoughts. I'm definitely going to see it but I'm not rushing out to see it.

A movie with Gorr and Jane Foster as Thor should be a 2hr 30 minute- 3 hour epic.

It shouldn't look like a "Monty Python" movie.

Astonishing Member

I watched it and while I'm all kinds of mixed about it and Thor comic purists should have abandoned any hope by now, I thought that when it works (Jane's look as Thor, Bale as Gorr, the DC Films Shazam bit, the ending I wasn't expecting, etc), it works, just as an unpretentious summer blockbuster. It's just that you'd feel adapting some of the most notorious Thor comics of the last decade if not the new millennium should be more of an event. I just didn't mind that as much since this was meant to be a part 4 with the first post-credits scene leading to part 5.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I watched it and while I'm all kinds of mixed about it and Thor comic purists should have abandoned any hope by now, I thought that when it works (Jane's look as Thor, Bale as Gorr, the DC Films Shazam bit, the ending I wasn't expecting, etc), it works, just as an unpretentious summer blockbuster. It's just that you'd feel adapting some of the most notorious Thor comics of the last decade if not the new millennium should be more of an event. I just didn't mind that as much since this was meant to be a part 4 with the first post-credits scene leading to part 5.
    Honestly, what is a Thor purist these days? Aarons’s beer swilling barbarian bears so little resemblance to Lee and Kirby’s hammer wielding cosmic Paladin, or even Simonson’s mythologically-rooted noble Viking, that it’s barely even the same character.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Look at that. A fun story where Jane has Mjolnir but Thor is STILL WORTHY.

Who’d a thunk it.

I give this movie 9 out of 10. Would have been a 10 but they didn’t use the song…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM
    I think Stormbringer by Deep Purple is one they should've use by now ... It's even about Thor.

But the music choices were straight fire for this movie, regardless.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Honestly, what is a Thor purist these days? Aarons’s beer swilling barbarian bears so little resemblance to Lee and Kirby’s hammer wielding cosmic Paladin, or even Simonson’s mythologically-rooted noble Viking, that it’s barely even the same character.
    There was a late 70s/early 80s Thor run that was like Flash Gordon, which is kinda like the last 2 movies IMHO.

Thor has been a bit all over that map in terms of tone.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Also gotta say I ended up liking movie Gorr's generic Necrosword portrayal (and his shadows usage, which made him look even more like a horror character) more than I would have if they had tried to adapt the goosword from the comics (which I guess would have required talks with Sony).

I'm not sure either. Not just Thor but generally.

Tony Stark isn't the suave playboy he started as but has long been a wise-cracking adolescent. Even before that, he was a scheming businessman. The original persona is long gone.

Thor was never Don Blake but he did go through a process of being mortal at least. But he's mostly a comedic character in the movies. But he hasn't been the pseudo-Shakespearian meets 1960s character of Lee and Kirby for decades. So, what is the "real" Marvel Thor? Yup. The Marvel Thor of anytime in the 21st century is so far removed from Lee and Kirby's Thor that there's barely anything left of that character. The movie Thor is no more removed from the character I grew up on than anything in the comics in the last twenty or more years.

This is clearly one of those movies that has generated incredibly diverse feelings though, ranging from comparisons to "Batman and Robin" to best of all four Thor movies.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Wow. This was... awful. Absolutely awful. I'm not sure it eclipses Dark World as the worst MCU movie ever, but it's vying for #2. Can't decide if I'd rather be bored watching Eternals again, or treated to this camp, utterly nonsensical travesty one more time.

This left comedy behind and went full on farce. There's taking a piss and there's just pissing on the characters, and this was easily in the latter camp. Even Jane was treated like a complete joke, save for when they wanted to reach for pathos to try and pretend at a serious scene here and there. By the time Gorr was playing Goosebumps story teller to the kids and the film introduced Russell Crowe in a role absolutely certain to win a Razzie or two I had completely checked out. And the ending somehow makes it even worse.

Good lord. I loved Ragnarok, I thought it hit most of it's notes just right. But this was Waititi unchained and he made an absolutely TERRIBLE film. Marvel, if this is the best you can do with Thor as a franchise character just let it die. This isn't just an outright flop of a film it's a complete embarrassment. And, sadly, it's going to make bank at the box office and reward everyone involved in this mess. Ugh. Phase 4 is now two utterly forgettable films (Black Widow and Shang-Chi), two absolute stinkers (Eternals and Love and Thunder), and a fun bit of nonsense that just comes in kind of middling in Doctor Strange. Thank god for Disney + shows or there wouldn't be hardly anything MCU worth watching.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Wow. This was... awful. Absolutely awful. I'm not sure it eclipses Dark World as the worst MCU movie ever, but it's vying for #2. Can't decide if I'd rather be bored watching Eternals again, or treated to this camp, utterly nonsensical travesty one more time.

This left comedy behind and went full on farce. There's taking a piss and there's just pissing on the characters, and this was easily in the latter camp. Even Jane was treated like a complete joke, save for when they wanted to reach for pathos to try and pretend at a serious scene here and there. By the time Gorr was playing Goosebumps story teller to the kids and the film introduced Russell Crowe in a role absolutely certain to win a Razzie or two I had completely checked out. And the ending somehow makes it even worse.

Good lord. I loved Ragnarok, I thought it hit most of it's notes just right. But this was Waititi unchained and he made an absolutely TERRIBLE film. Marvel, if this is the best you can do with Thor as a franchise character just let it die. This isn't just an outright flop of a film it's a complete embarrassment. And, sadly, it's going to make bank at the box office and reward everyone involved in this mess. Ugh. Phase 4 is now two utterly forgettable films (Black Widow and Shang-Chi), two absolute stinkers (Eternals and Love and Thunder), and a fun bit of nonsense that just comes in kind of middling in Doctor Strange. Thank god for Disney + shows or there wouldn't be hardly anything MCU worth watching.
    Chapek is right now all about let's look into the D+ abyss and be legends.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

You forgot about Spider-Man: No Way Home in your Phase 4 listings.

Anyway, I think you have some fair points, and it certainly wasn't as good as Ragnarok. But respectfully, I think you're being overly critical. It's how you feel, so I appreciate your opinion. But I disagree that it's the major misfire you're presenting it as. Eternals was and continues to remain the MCU's biggest blunder so far, and even it's not irredeemable. T:L&T is more or less in line with the middle-of-the-road MCU movies (like Ant-Man or Captain Marvel) but it's certainly more entertaining than Eternals or Dark World.

The biggest issue facing the MCU right now, however, is oversaturation. In about a year's period, we've had 6 MCU films, in addition to the 7 television series that started at the beginning of last year. As a hardcore MCU fan, I love it. But it's certainly felt like an uneven phase and I think they're going to run the risk of diminishing returns in terms of the more casual fans.

Yeah, I hope they ease up. The overload of content is partly due to Covid. We got two years worth of content in just one.

Three movies and 2-3 shows a year should be enough, imo. Anything more is just oversaturation.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly