Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    I sure hope he doesn't kill Sif. She is the last of the Asgardians from the first movie left and Thor has really lost enough at this point. I truly enjoyed Ragnarok, but the treatment the Warriors Three got in it was my one sore spot and it never has sat well with me. I don't want a repeat of that. Especially with Heimdall dying right after it in Infinity War. I am tired of the Marvel Studios treating them as expendable.
    They treated the whole kingdom/realm as expendable, which sucks .

Astonishing Member

Looks like Thor will end up with a worse score than Dr. Strange 2 on Rotten Tomatoes. I wonder if it will make over 400M domestic if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Looks like Thor will end up with a worse score than Dr. Strange 2 on Rotten Tomatoes. I wonder if it will make over 400M domestic if that's the case.
    Big yikes indeed

BANNED

A lot of mediocre reviews. I am not too shocked. The movie looked worn out from the trailers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Not surprised.

Even the good reviews have called out the "excessive humor" in the movie.

So basically it's a GoTG into GoTG Volume 2 situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So basically it's a GoTG into GoTG Volume 2 situation.
    Sounds more like Thor: Ragnarok turned UP a notch or two.

I guess if they figure Hemsworth's strength is humor/physical comedy, they're going to play to that strength and simply fashion everything else (ie Thor and his mythos) around it. Whether it makes sense or not.

It'll be a spectacle at least, now my interest is increased a little.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

I guess if they figure Hemsworth's strength is humor/physical comedy, they're going to play to that strength and simply fashion everything else (ie Thor and his mythos) around it. Whether it makes sense or not.

I mean, it's only smart to lean into the lead's strengths. When you don't you get...Dark World. That said, I got offered a ticket for Thursday and I'll make up my mind then. I really liked the trailer, so hopefully that doesn't lead me astray, but then again, it's not like I haven't been led astray by trailers before (see the aforementioned Dark World).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'll be watching it Thursday, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

Ragnarok got the same kinds of complaints about its humor being too much. And while I agree that a few of the jokes fell really flat, the humor is the movie's strength for me as a balance to the darker elements. Asgard was totally destroyed, after all. Serious Thor is more true to the comics, but so far that seriousness has never played well on screen. MCU Thor has basically become comics Hercules.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Serious Thor is more true to the comics, but so far that seriousness has never played well on screen. MCU Thor has basically become comics Hercules.
    Exactly this. That said, maybe when/if they introduce Hercules, he can be the serious (ish) one?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

That's basically what I meant, Volume 2 basically took the first films' humor and characterizations and then dialed it up to a 11 (to the point of sometimes making characters feel like a parody of themselves).

Ragnarok got the same kinds of complaints about its humor being too much. And while I agree that a few of the jokes fell really flat, the humor is the movie's strength for me as a balance to the darker elements. Asgard was totally destroyed, after all. Serious Thor is more true to the comics, but so far that seriousness has never played well on screen. MCU Thor has basically become comics Hercules.
    Yeah, but they joked about it. Something that, really, should have emotional weight wasn't really allowed to.

They basically did turn MCU Thor into comic Hercules which is one of my issues with it. Thor should be more like T'Challa if anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Exactly this. That said, maybe when/if they introduce Hercules, he can be the serious (ish) one?
    The MCU has this weird habit of making serious characters more jokey and jokey characters more serious.

I feel like the only ones they didn't really do it with are Cap and Black Panther.

Hey look on the bright side, if this movie doesn't do as expected it might convince Marvel to bring back some seriousness to Thor. The great thing about Chris Hemsworth is that he can do both serious and comedy. IMO, IW had the best Thor with the right balance of comedy and seriousness.

Maybe they can start off at opposite ends; Hercules as the serious one and Thor as the comedic one then over time Herc becomes more like his comic book self.

In the myths though, Thor was always the adventure loving braggadocios larger than life adventurer. Hercules was the moody, driven, anger prone demi God locked in a battle with his madness.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hey look on the bright side, if this movie doesn't do as expected it might convince Marvel to bring back some seriousness to Thor. The great thing about Chris Hemsworth is that he can do both serious and comedy. IMO, IW had the best Thor with the right balance of comedy and seriousness.

Maybe they can start off at opposite ends; Hercules as the serious one and Thor as the comedic one then over time Herc becomes more like his comic book self.

In the myths though, Thor was always the adventure loving braggadocios larger than life adventurer. Hercules was the moody, driven, anger prone demi God locked in a battle with his madness.
    Yeah, I feel like Infinity War was probably the most balanced take on modern Hemsworth Thor, especially in comparison to Endgame.

I wonder if they'll ever remember they introduced Amadeus Cho's mom in Age of Ultron.

Technically they introduced Cho himself in Incredible Hulk, but then retconned it to be Spider-Man's teacher when the same actor showed up in Homecoming.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

What bothered me first was the running time, I liked a bunch of Gorr and Jane Fosthor comics but from what I've heard adapting both into one movie didn't quite work out.