Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Looks cool enough. Liked Ragnarok, so I'm up for more. Kind of agree with the users who were hoping for more focus on Jane; am really curious about how that's going to go. Kinda rooting for a Jane/Valkyrie romance but not sure that's going to happen.

Let's see, going from Infinity War on (the first half of the mega big crossover story), six -- Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals -- have been standalone. Heck, the only recent crossover ones have been Infinity War/Endgame and Spider-Man: No Way Home, and only the Spider-Man one was unique, since the point of Avengers movies is the crossover.
    Eternals was not stand alone. they marketed the movie based on the back of Avengers and they had to spend time trying to explain how they never interfered when Thanos showed up. Shang Chi dropped all sort of unnecessary MCU reference and the movie looks just like this one. the same over done colourful appearance with obvious cgi. No Way Home is hardly stand alone, Dr Strange now seem to be hyped by the leftovers from Fox. I trust the rumours of Namor been in Black Panther 2 will turn out correct soon.

When I say stand alone, I mean The Batman kind of stand alone. this is what marvel needs now both in film making and story even if they are still part of a connected universe, the comics does not feature other crossovers at a rate of 90% like their movies does. Think Logan.

I always say the class should have graduated by now after Endgame but Disney seem to want to keep them in prep school forever, reason they cant let them stand on their own two feet without needing help. Thor does not need help from GOTG, to make him interesting or to put people in sits to make money. just even from the fact that he was an original member of Avengers. Not to mention his Norse mythology is rich. there is a lot of things to explore in his own universe. Every GOTG appearance here, feels like it is shrinking it and causing unnecessary distraction.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-19-2022 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It looks as bad as Ragnarok with much worse music. Ah, well.
    Immigrant Song intensifies

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It looks as bad as Ragnarok with much worse music. Ah, well.
    Ragnarok had its moments. I just didn't like that it couldn't balance the dramatic tension: "Asgard is burning and Asgardians are being slaughtered. Oops... time for a misplaced one-liner and gag" I get you want people to have fun at the movies Kevin, but there is a time and place.

Plus Korg annoyed the crap out of me. Having him run around with a kiwi accent may have been funny on paper, but not so much when put into practice.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Looks fun to me.

And for a Thor movie what more do you want than that?
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-19-2022 at 05:58 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Eternals was not stand alone. they marketed the movie based on the back of Avengers and they had to spend time trying to explain how they never interfered when Thanos showed up.
    Marketing isn't the movie. And Eternals spent all of 5 minutes explaining why they didn't deal with Thanos. That doesn't suddenly make it not stand-alone. You could have not seen any other MCU movie and still understood everything in it.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Jane Foster’s Thor (Fosthor?) is being introduced in this movie, and with the God Butcher being the villain I think having her being the main character wouldn’t lend itself to the story as well as Odinson. There’s the potential to carry on some of the themes from Ragnarok (Sins of the father) in this film by way of Gorr, so it just makes sense to me.

I get people are excited to see Jane as Thor (same here!) but I don’t think Chris Hemsworth should be booted to the side for it. His Thor has only really been shining since Ragnarok (so 1 solo movie and 2 team movies) - honestly I’d love him and Taika to have at least one more movie after this (assuming I love this movie as much as Ragnarok of course)!

Also… yes, Branagh is a fine director and Thor 2011 has its charm, but I honestly don’t think I’ve seen a film of his yet that has made me clamour for more from him. I haven’t seen Belfast yet, but Waititi also made his own semi autobiographical film about his own childhood that I just think is incredible - Boy. It’s funny how there’s that parallel. It should also be noted that Waititi’s coming off a stronger run of movies (Ragnarok, Jojo Rabbit, Hunt for The Wilderpeople etc) vs Branagh (Belfast, Death On The Nile, Artemis Fowl). But they have both won Oscar’s for their most recent movies. Branagh is certainly talented, but I think Taika is suited to this iteration of Thor more than Branagh has ever been. I think the Shakespearean aspect is fine, but without the crazier aspects it just becomes a Shakespeare knock off with some fantasy elements imo.

Again, no hate to Branagh, I enjoy his movies and performances, but I just think Taika has more interesting ideas and influences.

I’m definitely hyped for this film.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 04-19-2022 at 06:49 AM.

Oh also, Natalie Portman looks so good as Thor!

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Im excited for Jane Foster Thor, what I don't care about is Natalie Portman. I have never been a fan of her as an actress and was not impressed by her in the first two movies (the second one sucked for so many reasons other than just her) so I am apprehensive where she is concerned.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Oh also, Natalie Portman looks so good as Thor!
    Yeah, she packed on the muscle for the role.

Seriously, her arms are quite big.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, she packed on the muscle for the role.

Seriously, her arms are quite big.
    I remember seeing those set photos of her a while back and it made me more excited, just because it seemed like she was more invested in this role than before. I’m also glad they gave her blonde hair, as that was my other worry!

I wonder if they’ll go for the cancer storyline, as this movie is already quite packed. I wouldn’t mind if it was a part of this film but not resolved until later on in a sequel. Also, maybe this film might end with the formation of the council of the nine realms? Would be a cool way for her Thor to carry on imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    People were afraid of a Jane Foster movie? I was praying for it and I'm a little --upset? because it seems very Odinson-centric.
    He seems afraid of it.
    Last edited by Maestro 216; 04-19-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    "I need to figure out exactly who I am"

I'm looking forward to Thor finding out who he is in this movie...

Just like in the first Thor movie....

And the second Thor movie...

And the third Thor movie...

And Avengers Endgame!
    It feels very Meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Ragnarok had its moments. I just didn't like that it couldn't balance the dramatic tension: "Asgard is burning and Asgardians are being slaughtered. Oops... time for a misplaced one-liner and gag" I get you want people to have fun at the movies Kevin, but there is a time and place.

Plus Korg annoyed the crap out of me. Having him run around with a kiwi accent may have been funny on paper, but not so much when put into practice.
    I feel same way. Especially when Asgard blew up and they turned it into a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Looks fun to me.

And for a Thor movie what more do you want than that?
    Well, I think it depends on what people expect out of a Thor movie at this point.
    Jane Foster’s Thor (Fosthor?) is being introduced in this movie, and with the God Butcher being the villain I think having her being the main character wouldn’t lend itself to the story as well as Odinson. There’s the potential to carry on some of the themes from Ragnarok (Sins of the father) in this film by way of Gorr, so it just makes sense to me.

I get people are excited to see Jane as Thor (same here!) but I don’t think Chris Hemsworth should be booted to the side for it. His Thor has only really been shining since Ragnarok (so 1 solo movie and 2 team movies) - honestly I’d love him and Taika to have at least one more movie after this (assuming I love this movie as much as Ragnarok of course)!

Also… yes, Branagh is a fine director and Thor 2011 has its charm, but I honestly don’t think I’ve seen a film of his yet that has made me clamour for more from him. I haven’t seen Belfast yet, but Waititi also made his own semi autobiographical film about his own childhood that I just think is incredible - Boy. It’s funny how there’s that parallel. It should also be noted that Waititi’s coming off a stronger run of movies (Ragnarok, Jojo Rabbit, Hunt for The Wilderpeople etc) vs Branagh (Belfast, Death On The Nile, Artemis Fowl). But they have both won Oscar’s for their most recent movies. Branagh is certainly talented, but I think Taika is suited to this iteration of Thor more than Branagh has ever been. I think the Shakespearean aspect is fine, but without the crazier aspects it just becomes a Shakespeare knock off with some fantasy elements imo.

Again, no hate to Branagh, I enjoy his movies and performances, but I just think Taika has more interesting ideas and influences.

I’m definitely hyped for this film.
    To be honest people surprised that Thor is prominent in a Thor movie that has his name on it even though Jane Foster is in it is kind of funny .

I mean, Taika basically reinvented Thor to suit his directing sensibilites and I think it harmed the Thor mythos in the MCU overall as a result of it. I get a lot of people love his style of humor and directing and Hemsworth obviously had a blast, but to me it wasn't really true to the spirit of Thor in the comics like Branagh. And I think the 1st film handled Loki way better.

Like, if you like that kind of interpretation, I get it, but it still doesn't quite feel like Thor to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest people surprised that Thor is prominent in a Thor movie that has his name on it even though Jane Foster is in it is kind of funny .

I mean, Taika basically reinvented Thor to suit his directing sensibilites and I think it harmed the Thor mythos in the MCU overall as a result of it. I get a lot of people love his style of humor and directing and Hemsworth obviously had a blast, but to me it wasn't really true to the spirit of Thor in the comics like Branagh. And I think the 1st film handled Loki way better.

Like, if you like that kind of interpretation, I get it, but it still doesn't quite feel like Thor to me.
    I get that opinion too, but to me that original movie just felt too afraid to actually go as far as it needed to, then the dark world doubled down on that and I don’t think that Branagh would have had the ideas to bring it that much further than the final product (although it’s certainly would have looked nicer). I also don’t think Hemsworth was the right pick for a comics accurate Thor, or even Branagh’s version.

I agree about Loki, but I think he had sort of outstayed his welcome for me by that point (though I really liked the tv show). I think what Taika did was make Thor the more interesting of the two in his movie, and also made The MCU’s Thor much deeper, interesting and more relatable. I think the failure in world building in the first 2 films (imo) made the destruction of Asgard more interesting to me.

As much as I love Thor comics, I think his initial outings in the MCU were so bland to me that I don’t mind them upending everything in Ragnarok, as by that point the character and his supporting cast felt so stale. Leaning into what Hemsworth is best at acting wise really helped elevate this version of Thor.

Overall, although I’d love something more comics accurate relating to Thor’s world and character, I think it started off so shakily in the MCU that it would be nigh impossible to have a great series that keeps close to it. I think they’ve gone the correct way with Taika for this version of Thor.

I get that opinion too, but to me that original movie just felt too afraid to actually go as far as it needed to, then the dark world doubled down on that and I don’t think that Branagh would have had the ideas to bring it that much further than the final product (although it’s certainly would have looked nicer). I also don’t think Hemsworth was the right pick for a comics accurate Thor, or even Branagh’s version.

I agree about Loki, but I think he had sort of outstayed his welcome for me by that point (though I really liked the tv show). I think what Taika did was make Thor the more interesting of the two in his movie, and also made The MCU’s Thor much deeper, interesting and more relatable. I think the failure in world building in the first 2 films (imo) made the destruction of Asgard more interesting to me.

As much as I love Thor comics, I think his initial outings in the MCU were so bland to me that I don’t mind them upending everything in Ragnarok, as by that point the character and his supporting cast felt so stale. Leaning into what Hemsworth is best at acting wise really helped elevate this version of Thor.

Overall, although I’d love something more comics accurate relating to Thor’s world and character, I think it started off so shakily in the MCU that it would be nigh impossible to have a great series that keeps close to it. I think they’ve gone the correct way with Taika for this version of Thor.
    I feel like the 1st movie was reasonable in terms of establishing the basics of Thor, his mythos, supporting cast, etc. while not going as 100% full cosmic or Kirby before the audience was ready for it. I also though Hemsworth was solid but I think I have more affection for the 1st Thor than most people do.

I feel like Waititi made Loki too much of a punchline. Maybe they helped make sure he didn't outshine Thor, but it knocked all his teeth out. I feel like that carried over a little into his own show, especially in terms of his capability.

I feel like the destruction of Asgard in the third movie is a testament to how much they dropped the ball with Asgard in the MCU in general. You can even see it with how it is in the trailer now. Meetings in business suits? Come on.

They really screwed over the supporting cast. Focusing too much on the humans in The Dark World and crazy Selvig, unceremoniously killing off the Warriors Three in Ragnarok (Waitit couldn't have mined them for comedy like in the comics?), Heimdall's quickly killed off in Infinity War. Sif is around but who knows if they're ever going to do anything meaningful with her at this point.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Eternals was not stand alone. they marketed the movie based on the back of Avengers and they had to spend time trying to explain how they never interfered when Thanos showed up. Shang Chi dropped all sort of unnecessary MCU reference and the movie looks just like this one. the same over done colourful appearance with obvious cgi. No Way Home is hardly stand alone, Dr Strange now seem to be hyped by the leftovers from Fox. I trust the rumours of Namor been in Black Panther 2 will turn out correct soon.

When I say stand alone, I mean The Batman kind of stand alone. this is what marvel needs now both in film making and story even if they are still part of a connected universe, the comics does not feature other crossovers at a rate of 90% like their movies does. Think Logan.

I always say the class should have graduated by now after Endgame but Disney seem to want to keep them in prep school forever, reason they cant let them stand on their own two feet without needing help. Thor does not need help from GOTG, to make him interesting or to put people in sits to make money. just even from the fact that he was an original member of Avengers. Not to mention his Norse mythology is rich. there is a lot of things to explore in his own universe. Every GOTG appearance here, feels like it is shrinking it and causing unnecessary distraction.
    I don’t think you know what Marvel needs. You keep saying they should do things differently but why?

They built a shared cinematic universe that fans have loved for years and it’s still going strong. So you want them to pivot into completely stand alone movies that in no way reference or build upon one another. That’s kind of their thing and what lots of people enjoy.

Not everyone enjoys these movies and that’s ok. However you should accept them for what they are rather than wishing they would change into something you want. Because Marvel isn’t going to stop doing the very thing that made them so successful in the first place.