Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default IMHO Gambit is a Longshot rip-off

Granted, Longshot doesn't need me. His character, charisma and background origin are wonderful and top notch. You can easily see why he's one of the weirdest and most fascinating X-Men out there.

IMHO, Gambit is derivative and not interesting as he first seems, and he's a blatant Longshot rip-off. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Anyway:

Longshot - throws stilettos. Imbued with power (luck).
    Gambit - throws cards. Imbued with power (kinetic energy).

Longshot - superagility, but with an interesting twist (hollow bones, synthetic organism).
    Gambit - superagility, without the twist.

Longshot - glowing eye. Check.
    Gambit - glowing eyes. Check.

Longshot - distinctive "thief" look, not technically a "costume".
    Gambit - distinctive "thief" look, not technically a "costume".

Longshot - beautiful, and loved by women.
    Gambit - beautiful, and loved by women.

Longshot - name is a clear reference to games.
    Gambit - name is a clear reference to games.

Longshot - coupled with a beautiful X-Man: Dazzler.
    Gambit - coupled with a beautiful X-Man: Rogue.

Longshot - created by a black list author banned for her anti-American views. I guess.
    Gambit - created by Chris Claremont, white list author, okay.

Without counting Longshot's past as a rebel belonging to a very visionary and unique alternate universe, as well as his overall powers and psychometry.

Don't get me wrong. Gambit is okay. Longshot is better.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 04-18-2022 at 12:12 PM.

They're both good characters, but we already have a handsome, suave, roguish hero in Hellion. They all deserve use, but it's time to hand things over to the new generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    They're both good characters, but we already have a handsome, suave, roguish hero in Hellion. They all deserve use, but it's time to hand things over to the new generation.
    I was expecting your reply. I love you.

Hellion is the real follow-up to Longshot. You're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post
    Granted, Longshot doesn't need me. His character, charisma and background origin are wonderful and top notch. You can easily see why he's one of the weirdest and most fascinating X-Men out there.

IMHO, Gambit is derivative and not interesting as he first seems, and he's a blatant Longshot rip-off. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Anyway:

Longshot - throws stilettos. Imbued with power (luck).
    Gambit - throws cards. Imbued with power (kinetic energy).

Longshot - superagility, but with an interesting twist (hollow bones, synthetic organism).
    Gambit - superagility, without the twist.

Longshot - glowing eye. Check.
    Gambit - glowing eyes. Check.

Longshot - distinctive "thief" look, not technically a "costume".
    Gambit - distinctive "thief" look, not technically a "costume".

Longshot - beautiful, and loved by women.
    Gambit - beautiful, and loved by women.

Longshot - name is a clear reference to games.
    Gambit - name is a clear reference to games.

Longshot - coupled with a beautiful X-Man: Dazzler.
    Gambit - coupled with a beautiful X-Man: Rogue.

Longshot - created by a black list author banned for her anti-American views. I guess.
    Gambit - created by Chris Claremont, white list author, okay.

Without counting Longshot's past as a rebel belonging to a very visionary and unique alternate universe, as well as his overall powers and psychometry.

Don't get me wrong. Gambit is okay. Longshot is better.
    Longshots first mini was wonderfully weird. I love passion projects like that.

For some reason he just never gelled with the X-men in such a way that he became a longtime member. Witch sadly makes him easy to forget in the revolving system of editors, artists and writers. Dazzler hasn’t had a easy run either and now we are actively keeping them apart for some reason(I forgot why).

Not that Gambit has had a guaranteed spot either. He seems to be forgotten about every other era.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Longshots first mini was wonderfully weird. I love passion projects like that.

For some reason he just never gelled with the X-men in such a way that he became a longtime member. Witch sadly makes him easy to forget in the revolving system of editors, artists and writers. Dazzler hasn’t had a easy run either and now we are actively keeping them apart for some reason(I forgot why).

Not that Gambit has had a guaranteed spot either. He seems to be forgotten about every other era.
    I think with editorial changes, it lead to team changes. Just like Gambit was a cooler version of slingshot, Jubilee was meant to be a cooler version of Dazzler. She certainly gets way more story time than Dazzler who gets basically none.

They're both bisexual too.

This is basically true. Gambit appears exactly as Claremont is slow-roll reintroducing the X-Men who went through the Siege Perilous, and fills the same slot on the team. Of course that plan was for Gambit to be an infiltrator - an enemy within for the X-Men, which poor gormless Longshot could never have been.

Incredible Member

Gambit doesn't have a mullet that alone makes him better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    They're both bisexual too.
    Wait... What?!? Exactly, which books (titles and issues please) depicts said sexual narrative regarding Gambit and Longshot?

Addendum: Speaking of Shatterstar... Does anyone remember his unexplained, identical, runaway twin from Boston, Benjamin Russell who fell into a coma when his mutant powers manifested?
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-18-2022 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Thought amendment(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Wait... What?!? Exactly, which books (titles and issues please) depicts said sexual narrative regarding Gambit and Longshot?
    I think it's safe to say that any character who has met Hellion, would be attracted to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I think it's safe to say that any character who has met Hellion, would be attracted to him.
    That sounds good and all but it did not answer my query...

Addendum: Speaking of Shatterstar... Does anyone remember his unexplained, identical, runaway twin from Boston, Benjamin Russell who fell into a coma when his mutant powers manifested?
    I know the writer of his Marvel Now solo series intended for Gambit to be bisexual. Don’t know if anyone followed up on that in-universe. https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/1...riter-reveals/

I wouldn’t know about Longshot.

Remind me again how many solo series Longshot has had.

Because Gambit has had at least 4, soon to be 5, and not even counting his 2 duo series with Rogue. They have totally different origins and backstories. Plenty of characters can be said to have similar visual features ... we have at least 5 red headed ladies, 3 of whom with similar powers (Jean, Rachal, Maddie, Hope, Siren).

So what exactly is your point?

Don't like Gambit? By all means have fun with Longshot.

That sounds good and all but it did not answer my query...
    They're joking... I think.

Gambit has had one suspicious interaction with a character called Courier, a gender ambiguous but originally biologically male mutant shapeshifter who got stuck in the last form they took (a woman's body), and who was working with Gambit for a time. While Courier was in their now female form, Gambit does flirt and even kisses them.

It's interesting that Gambit very openly acknowledges that fact that they were previously male. So that might mean something... ? But considering Gambit only seems to show interest when Courier becomes female presenting, I'd say at best heteroflexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post
    ^^^i don’t see it.

That said, I originally didn’t mind Longshot being absorbed into the X-Family.
    Now though, I wish someone else had grabbed him up after his original time w. the franchise. There are so many characters under the X umbrella Longshot getting a decent amount of attention is not gonna happen.