Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Politics
    Religion. It's ok if you believe in something, just don't impose it on others.
    Toxic, tribalistic fandom be it comic or wrestling fandom
    Stupidity
    Rude people
    People who say "I'm not crying, you're crying!". WTF?
    Animal cruelty

The word "woke".

It's Newspeak at this stage. No explanation, justification, or meaning in your argument. Just shout "woke". At least if you call someone a bigot of some variety (racist, homophobe, etc) theres a baseline you can debate, but Woke means nothing now.

Retired

Woke was a perfectly okay word until the people against those who were so-called woke took hold of it and made it a slur. Funny how the opposite side of a thing always gets away with that. Now they use "woke" a lot more than the people they're attacking.

Woke as an insult. "I am so tired of people calling out my racism, misogyny and homophobia." Is it any wonder the same peop,e have disdain for science and reason?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Woke must be a more east coast thing, I have never heard someone use it in conversation here in California, on either side of the fence.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Vocal fry. The tendency of a speaker to drop the pitch or tone of their voice on the last word of a sentence. It’s common among podcaster’s and radio journalists now. I can barely listen to This American Life or NPR anymore.
    That and the opposite thing where people raise the tone of their voice at the end of a sentence like their asking a question.
    So irritating.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I intasntly ignore anyone who uses the word Woke to describe something. I have heard 3 times today how "Woke" US Soccer is because the woman's team is now being paid the same as the mens team.

It seems if people are trying to be positive they use words like Diverse. But when being insulting they use words like Woke.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Vocal fry. The tendency of a speaker to drop the pitch or tone of their voice on the last word of a sentence. It’s common among podcaster’s and radio journalists now. I can barely listen to This American Life or NPR anymore.
    That and the opposite thing where people raise the tone of their voice at the end of a sentence like their asking a question.
    So irritating.
    I heard it was what the Australians do:
    Finish your sentences by going up at the end. Known as the 'Australian Question Inflection', it makes everything you say sound like a question.
    https://www.stayatbase.com/general/aussie-accent/
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Retired

So irritating.
    That and cursive singing. I don't mind accented singing, where the accent is genuine to a place or culture, but cursive singing seems to be an invented accent that doesn't exist in reality. It's so annoying that it stops me from enjoying the song.

BANNED

So irritating.
    Never thought about it, but it is weird. Maybe a vocal technique to heighten interest in what's being said, as opposed to flatly saying it? Like newscasters constantly shifting their head pose and tilt to look like a moving shiny object to keep viewers from being bored. Weird when pointed out, but mostly background to me beforehand (though can't unsee/hear it when pointed out).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That and cursive singing. I don't mind accented singing, where the accent is genuine to a place or culture, but cursive singing seems to be an invented accent that doesn't exist in reality. It's so annoying that it stops me from enjoying the song.
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about but curious, could you link an example Youtube video or the like?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Never thought about it, but it is weird. Maybe a vocal technique to heighten interest in what's being said, as opposed to flatly saying it? Like newscasters constantly shifting their head pose and tilt to look like a moving shiny object to keep viewers from being bored. Weird when pointed out, but mostly background to me beforehand (though can't unsee/hear it when pointed out).
    Yes, I think it’s intended to engage the listener by making the story seem conversational. Now, I just find it distracting.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about but curious, could you link an example Youtube video or the like?
    It's something I didn't have a word for, but I noticed it with a lot of singers that I found irritating. So I searched around on the internet until I finally found the popular term is "cursive singing."

The Urban Dictionary defines it this way--"When one sings and repeatedly mispronounces and/or slurs parts of words, requiring those listening to guess (usu. incorrectly) from context what the lyrics actually are. Like reading words written in cursive requires the reader to guess each word from its legible parts, listening to singing in cursive requires the listener to guess each word from its intelligible parts."

It's really a lot of stretched out and twisted vowels that contort words in unfamiliar ways. When I look online for examples, a lot of the singers they name don't really bother me that much. For example, Amy Winehouse is put in this category yet her singing style never got on my nerves.

The ones that bug me most, I've blocked them out of my mind. So it's hard to come up with the names of the worst offenders for you.

Because I remembered she won the 2010 Eurovision song contest for "Satellite," from Germany--I was able to find Lena. She certainly annoys me, but there're others worse than her. The song itself is quite poppy, but her weird accent on the words (which seems neither German nor English) is so distracting that it drives me around the bend.

Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-24-2022 at 11:13 AM.