Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

Here in Vancouver, plastic bags were phased out during the pandemic. But living in Europe has spoiled me. There most supermarkets give you plenty of room to bag your groceries. At my local supermarket in Vancouver there is no room for that. So you have to wait for the person ahead of you to bag their purchases and it's a traffic jam.

When I was living in Budapest, after my morning Hungarian class, I would go up to a small supermarket that was neatly arranged. You picked up your basket at the entrance, selected your items, then got in line. You would set down your basket in the designated area and then the cashier would ring up the purchases and place them in another basket. After paying, you would take your loaded basket over to the dedicated counter where you would have plenty of room to put your goods in your own bag and then place your empty basket at the door as you went out. It was all regimented and didn't require any talking (so easy for me to understand and this was in a touristy area, so people didn't need to know much Hungarian there). It was kind of like the soup Nazi--you didn't want to do anything out of line or it would be a disaster.

Mighty Member

When enormous hardware/stationary stores etc. don't have that *one* little item you were looking for, even though they had it last year...

People who yell about the price of gas or a gallon of milk and then spend 2.50 on a 20oz bottle of water.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    People who yell about the price of gas or a gallon of milk and then spend 2.50 on a 20oz bottle of water.
    Well, sometimes it may seem worth it to spend money on a bottle of water if you're thirsty and don't know / don't trust the tap water sources in the area.

We have well water where I live, and while we use it to cook and clean, I still don't want to drink it straight from the tap. So we buy gallon bottles of water for that (but currently pay $1.49 a gallon for the store brand from Stop & Shop supermarkets).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Here in Vancouver, plastic bags were phased out during the pandemic. But living in Europe has spoiled me. There most supermarkets give you plenty of room to bag your groceries. At my local supermarket in Vancouver there is no room for that. So you have to wait for the person ahead of you to bag their purchases and it's a traffic jam.

When I was living in Budapest, after my morning Hungarian class, I would go up to a small supermarket that was neatly arranged. You picked up your basket at the entrance, selected your items, then got in line. You would set down your basket in the designated area and then the cashier would ring up the purchases and place them in another basket. After paying, you would take your loaded basket over to the dedicated counter where you would have plenty of room to put your goods in your own bag and then place your empty basket at the door as you went out. It was all regimented and didn't require any talking (so easy for me to understand and this was in a touristy area, so people didn't need to know much Hungarian there). It was kind of like the soup Nazi--you didn't want to do anything out of line or it would be a disaster.
    Aldi's here in California has a huge counter area at the front of the store that is specifically designed for a person to bag up their own groceries out of the cart. I really like it, and you are absolutely right that most stores just aren't set up for a person to do their own bagging.

In Croatia, the markets functioned very similarly to what you are describing for Budapest.

Personally I enjoy the reusable bags. At first I resisted but once you get used to it, the process is very easy. Its amazing how quickly plastic bags accumulated at my house when we were getting them every shopping trip.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

in movie trailers when they take a character laughing from a completely different scene but play it after a joke told elsewhere in the film

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

People who pretend to be neutral but clearly take a position. Doesn't matter what the subject is, it's just annoying. The worst part is when they get all smug about it too. I just think "what an *******..."

People who try to correct you on what you say when I know what I'm saying. Yeah I say ain't and speak with slang from time to time. If you want to be all formal about it then look up descriptive grammar and quit crying about the 'degradation' of language. Pull the stick out.

Not being able to ask a question before someone else starts talking. Gets on my nerves.

When I accidentally interrupt someone while I'm talking. I feel bad when I do this but I struggle with figuring out when a person is pausing in a conversation. So then I start talking and I end up interrupting. Happens over and over again...

Preplanned obsolescence because it just feels like when I buy electronics or appliances they don't last anymore. Even when I treat the headphones with kid gloves they eventually short out and it's difficult to repair them so then I have to pay again and again.

Neighbours upstairs…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Neighbours upstairs…
    Loud neighbors are trash...

Retired

I recall there were some politicians in the past that talked like that, where you thought they had finished speaking, but they actually hadn't. Interlocutors would get in trouble, because they would start speaking and then this politician would get all huffy and say they hadn't finished and the other person was rudely interrupting them.

Forget who there were who talked like this, but I know there were some. Maybe Margaret Thatcher was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am a very bad driver. Being in the passenger seat of a car freaks me out. if I drove I would kill someone. And chances are that someone would be me.
    There are probably a lot of people who think they’re bad drivers. I’m sure with some practice you could remove that mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    There are probably a lot of people who think they’re bad drivers. I’m sure with some practice you could remove that mindset.
    Too nervous behind the wheel. And the fact I havnt driven in 13 years. it will take a lot to get me driving again.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Gas prices, Covid still in the air, Russia, Fox News, People just plain out being rude (not here by any means).
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

video game demonstrations where the devs are "roleplaying" their communications, Anthem and The Day Before being recent examples

Since coffee has been a topic on this board the last couple of days.

I have to say I cant stand the

"Dont talk to me till I have had my coffee person." I am sure maybe the phrase started as a joke. But now it has turned into a reason for a person to be just a complete dick to someone then say

"Well I told you not to talk to me till I have had my coffee."

GRRRR!!

I wont go so far as to spit in that person coffee because that is uncouth. And I am a man over flowing with Couth. But if some one else did that. I wouldnt be upset.