Thread: Peter`s Parents

Amazing Member

Default Peter`s Parents

I was rereading the whole android story about Peter`s Parents. IMHO they should have never made them into androids. They should have kept them to be the real thing.
    What is your opinion? Was this the best solution?

Mighty Member

Peter's parents are best left to flashbacks or memories. They're not interesting in the present - they're just one more set of people Peter is trying to fool about this secret identity who end up disappointed. I don't think it was trying to, but I don't think that story ever made a compelling argument that having Peter's parents around was a good story engine. Maybe, maybe, they'd be interesting if Teresa was around a lot, too - that's a more interesting dynamic to consider - but I'll be happy if the never reappear
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Peter's parents are best left to flashbacks or memories. They're not interesting in the present - they're just one more set of people Peter is trying to fool about this secret identity who end up disappointed. I don't think it was trying to, but I don't think that story ever made a compelling argument that having Peter's parents around was a good story engine. Maybe, maybe, they'd be interesting if Teresa was around a lot, too - that's a more interesting dynamic to consider - but I'll be happy if the never reappear
    They work better if they did one as an AU or an untold story or a flashback issue. Like with Logan had a slight run in with them. Anything in the present isnt needed or warranted

I feel like they should tie Peter's parents in to the rest of Marvel. The spy angle was great and fits with the tone, but making them mutants would be a great twist. Maybe Peter's dad had telekinesis and was a time-traveler.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

BANNED

I remember one of my childhood fanfics was revealing Judas Traveller was Richard's grandfather.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Personally, the less the better. I'd be happy for them to never be seen or mentioned again.

Maybe there could have been a better resolution than the robots... Okay, there DEFINITELY could have been a better resolution than the robots but the best solution is to not bring them back in the first place.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

I like hearing about them as well. It doesn’t make sense that Peter wouldn’t want to know more about them.

Astonishing Member

They're not important. They died when Peter was young, so he was raised by his elderly aunt and uncle. Everything else is irrelevant. Marvel answered the question of who his parents were, it was a stupid answer, and there's nothing more to tell.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan84 View Post
    I was rereading the whole android story about Peter`s Parents. IMHO they should have never made them into androids. They should have kept them to be the real thing.
    What is your opinion? Was this the best solution?
    Keep them in this past. But they’re also Peter’s connection to SHIELD.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Keep them in this past. But they’re also Peter’s connection to SHIELD.
    I liked it better when they were CIA.

The best story I've read with Peter's parents was in the Clone Saga in Ultimate Spider-Man. Every other story with the parents has been disappointing to downright bad (including the ASM films).

I feel when the parents are introduced it tends to undermine the mythos.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    They work better if they did one as an AU or an untold story or a flashback issue. Like with Logan had a slight run in with them. Anything in the present isnt needed or warranted
    That's exactly what happened in Untold Tales of Spider-Man#-1 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I feel like they should tie Peter's parents in to the rest of Marvel. The spy angle was great and fits with the tone, but making them mutants would be a great twist. Maybe Peter's dad had telekinesis and was a time-traveler.
    Weirdly enough, two Spidey comics written by different people connected them with LMDs.

(Spectacular#302)

(Spider-Man/Deadpool#31)

I wondered if Marvel was planning some story with 'em in ASM by using LMDs, but nothing happened, and when Spencer's run does talk about LMDs, it only talks about how Harry made LMDs of Spidey's parents and not anything else.

But yeah, them being the origin of LMDs could be one way of making them more connected with the rest of Marvel, without going too far, but that detail is probably ignored now.

Though, I really doubt they're mutants, but you never know withg Marvel :P.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I liked it better when they were CIA.
    I mean, SHIELD or not, they generally are connected with Fury since Untold Tales at the latest, and before that, as far as I've seen, they were only vaguely said to work for the government as spies, which's as vague as it can be lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Spectacular Member

Look at how Marvel does Howard Stark. Do we really want that for Peter's parents?