Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default The Batman: Sequel Speculation. ::spoilers::

I just watched the Batman on HBO max this morning and I was really blown away. One thing that really struck me though was the ending, not only was the way Batman became a public figure interesting but the way it hinted at a No-Man's Land/ Zero Year kind of plot for the sequel.

It's been a while since I read either but what elements from those stories would you want to see adapted? With the Joker tease, would you want to see him and the Riddler return? A gang war?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I just watched the Batman on HBO max this morning and I was really blown away. One thing that really struck me though was the ending, not only was the way Batman became a public figure interesting but the way it hinted at a No-Man's Land/ Zero Year kind of plot for the sequel.

It's been a while since I read either but what elements from those stories would you want to see adapted? With the Joker tease, would you want to see him and the Riddler return? A gang war?

This film had a tone that I want to see continue. I don't want to see it spin off into fantasy. I want the next film to almost be more restrained. The ending was very much about Bruce realising he needs to be better. Well changing is hard. Bruce literally was recreating his trauma every night. Having him kind of retreat back into being violent and brutal as a backlash against his epiphany would be interesting and lead to more interesting villain motives. Joker says or identified in his scene " something is different this time, you're really bothered" that's an interesting in to the joker/batman dynamic. It also opens up a jealousy dynamic into joker/riddler.

Penguin is going to take over, whomever the next villain is will be around. None of the effect he wanted to have he's having. I'm fact it's worse now. It's literally new orleans 2005. He feels guilt in sure because of the riddler and what he inspired. I think forcing the hopeful message will be too easy. I really think he needs to retreat and double down. Most people do this and it takes a long time to get it. So I think him being a message for hope can truly come to fruition at the end of the third film.

I want a Robin.

Be it Dick, or taking a page from White Knight and having it be Jason as first, I want that to start with. Though, Dick's background is sadly rather dated at this point. I'm sure there's work arounds, but it won't be easy. Jason, as a street kid that boosts the wheels of the Batmobile for some quick cash is actually rather easy to do, comparatively. And it could very well work into the whole changing himself for the better narrative as well.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    This film had a tone that I want to see continue. I don't want to see it spin off into fantasy. I want the next film to almost be more restrained.
    More restrained?! You'd basically have to remove the bat-suit completely.

I'd like one more movie with just Batman doing his thing in a more mature way with a more normalized Gotham, now that most of the institutionalized corruption is gone, and then a movie that introduces Robin.

As far as villains, with all the flooding it seems like a good time to introduce Clayface and Killer Croc.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I want a Robin.

Be it Dick, or taking a page from White Knight and having it be Jason as first, I want that to start with. Though, Dick's background is sadly rather dated at this point. I'm sure there's work arounds, but it won't be easy. Jason, as a street kid that boosts the wheels of the Batmobile for some quick cash is actually rather easy to do, comparatively. And it could very well work into the whole changing himself for the better narrative as well.
    I honestly think Dick could work really well but you would have to tone done the circus aspect. Maybe he is a lower class performer with his parents in Gotham. They could have died during the flooding caused by Riddler. I think Dick would make a good addition to the film if they plan on using the Court as you can really focus on Dick being their next target. The important thing about adaptions is getting the core of the character right, who cares about specific plot points. If they do not go with the court, then yeah Jason also works. I just think this version of Bruce needs a solid counter point and we have already seen WAY too many angsty, angry, rebel teens in superhero adaptions.

For villains, as I mentioned above I think we are going to get the Court and Hush over the next two movies. There is literally no reason to name that reporter Elliot and to have "Hush" written of his photos if they are not planning on using him. Plus he is a favorite of Reeves and has not been used yet in film. There is also a lot of rooms for alterations if they want to make changes to better fit the story they want to tell.

Thinks I do not want:
    - Mr. Freeze : I do not want to see a grounded version of this character.
    - Poison Ivy: Same as Freeze
    - Clayface: I do not think he could carry a movie

I really don't want to see Joker right away. The Joker tease at the end was the only thing that I don't like. I rolled my eyes at that bit.

I don't want to argue about it, but after seeing just how grounded and gritty it was, I'm even more against seeing Robin in this continuity than I was before. Definitely feel like giving Keaton's Batman a Robin in the DCEU makes far more sense.

What I would like to see is more villains we hadn't seen on film since the 90s like Riddler and Penguin. So...hmm, the only Burton/Schumacher era villain who hasn't been on film this millennium is Mister Freeze and Poison Ivy. I guess they could work if handled right but...nah. So maybe villains not done on film? I don't know, I just want to be surprised.

As Batman evolves and gets better, I'd love to see his car be upgraded to a proper Batmobile. The chase scene was great, but the design still bores me.

So, no Joker, no Robin, more underused villains, improved Batmobile. Otherwise, I'm good for whatever. Loved this movie.

Oh, and as much as I loved Catwoman, it'd be weird to bring her back right away, so save her return for a third film.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

We cannot predict the future but I could see Reeves exploring Arkham (like in Earth One), keeping elements of the hard boiled Frank Miller/ Greg Rucka/ Ed Brubaker stories and tone as well as taking clues from the better Scott Snyder stories.

Also I wish for no more Joker and Ra s.